The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, Anotherlichtie said:

Can someone explain to me why the club apparently said all AGM talk shouldn’t be shared, yet the courier have splashed all the details and figures all over the internet?

It’s the general talk after the AGM has concluded to keep quiet, Pink was there, he mentioned no names apart from a couple of players they tried to get but no names for the 2 strikers he said was coming in.

6 hours ago, Hammerafc said:

Are these not the figures from the previous season 21/22. I'm sure the accounts are a year behind. 

The payment for runner's up spot clearly were. Some of the narrative related to last season however. 

Guessing figures are, as you say, predominantly 21 - 22.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/4514791/arbroath-kit-sales-soar-above-2300/

2300 tops sold last season - that’s ridiculous. Genuinely the vast majority of tops I see around town or at sports centres, football training sessions etc are ours.

I remember back in the day I had to go into the Portcullis pub to buy a top and in my year at secondary school (Arbroath Academy - the best one) there were about 3 of us who had one and went to Gayfield / away games religiously. A real success story.

Also after us wearing the grey top on Saturday it’s actually quite nice I think, probably would’ve preferred white or black or even a light blue effort but it looks so much better than the initial photos.

14 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I mind having to go to that sports shop down by the fit of the toon (IIRC) to get Arbroath shirts, absolutely brilliant to see how we've grown!  I see from that Courier link that we've got another third kit coming out too though...

The one at the top of the Guthrie Port across from the Abbey? Long time ago that now 

Also never noticed that but I think we would need another one both of them are very maroon and they are both quite darker shades 

I mind premier sports on the west port selling them for a while and its been a challenge to actually buy an arbroath shirt in the past too.

Not really a fan of bringing out new kits every year especially with 3 kits now starting to be the norm too, summer is costing more than christmas between season tickets and merchandise for folk with kids.

19 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

I mind premier sports on the west port selling them for a while and its been a challenge to actually buy an arbroath shirt in the past too.

Not really a fan of bringing out new kits every year especially with 3 kits now starting to be the norm too, summer is costing more than christmas between season tickets and merchandise for folk with kids.

I know there's the whole "you don't need to buy it" argument, but if you've got kids all asking for the latest kit, and being made fun of at school for having last year's kit, its going to be tough.  Three kits a year feels like too many.  I saw a wee girl at a game last season clad head to toe in Arbroath training gear, with a lichties hat and backpack too.  No doubt she had a replica shirt on underneath.  Must have cost her parents an absolute fortune!  

I canna mind the name of the shop now, but closer to West Port sounds right?  I think it was a different one up by the Abbey.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

17 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Again though buying the kits etc is not a requirement it’s purely a personal choice. I bought the home one for the first time since way before we had Pendle, not sure what the last top I actually bought was. 

Think the shop I remember going in was Sporting Look but could be wrong 

6 hours ago, Broath Boy said:

It’s the general talk after the AGM has concluded to keep quiet, Pink was there, he mentioned no names apart from a couple of players they tried to get but no names for the 2 strikers he said was coming in.

I don't want to alarm you, but I was chatting to someone in football about our players from last season. And they said big Rusty McLean had agreed a PCA with East Kilbride, but had now ripped it up as he had 'offers from the Championship'.

I do not see him being Dick Campbell's cup of tea. And I can't see you going for him at all after how things went with us last season. But when I saw the striker chat on here, I did wonder...

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/4514791/arbroath-kit-sales-soar-above-2300/

2300 tops sold last season - that’s ridiculous. Genuinely the vast majority of tops I see around town or at sports centres, football training sessions etc are ours.

I'm extremely jealous of that. Fair play to you guys. Even if you're relegated, the Championship season should've helped build a very solid new core of supporters. And the finances couldn't look healthier. It's everything we didn't/couldn't do during our stint in the Championship - and we had Hearts, Hibs and Rangers for company.

7 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I know there's the whole "you don't need to buy it" argument, but if you've got kids all asking for the latest kit, and being made fun of at school for having last year's kit, its going to be tough.  Three kits a year feels like too many.  I saw a wee girl at a game last season clad head to toe in Arbroath training gear, with a lichties hat and backpack too.  No doubt she had a replica shirt on underneath.  Must have cost her parents an absolute fortune!  

I canna mind the name of the shop now, but closer to West Port sounds right?  I think it was a different one up by the Abbey.

This is the crux of it. There is no need for the club to release 3 kits a season. They’ve now officially crossed the line of treating the support as customers instead of supporters. 

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Again though buying the kits etc is not a requirement it’s purely a personal choice. I bought the home one for the first time since way before we had Pendle, not sure what the last top I actually bought was. 

Think the shop I remember going in was Sporting Look but could be wrong 

Personal choice? You clearly don’t have children. 

4 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

That’s not the clubs fault though and if people are having they issues then they really need to address they problems internally and deal with that themselves… all the club are doing is giving fans more options and variety with the kits and everything else that they sell. 

2 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I don't want to alarm you, but I was chatting to someone in football about our players from last season. And they said big Rusty McLean had agreed a PCA with East Kilbride, but had now ripped it up as he had 'offers from the Championship'.

I do not see him being Dick Campbell's cup of tea. And I can't see you going for him at all after how things went with us last season. But when I saw the striker chat on here, I did wonder...

I'm extremely jealous of that. Fair play to you guys. Even if you're relegated, the Championship season should've helped build a very solid new core of supporters. And the finances couldn't look healthier. It's everything we didn't/couldn't do during our stint in the Championship - and we had Hearts, Hibs and Rangers for company.

Well stranger things have happened. McLean seems to be an enigma and on the face of it really not keen at all. Offers would suggest more than one club too? I’m not so sure. Also it seemed like we were going to get Nathan Austin but I had heard that talks between him and Dick really didn’t go down too well and McLean sounds like a bigger rocket.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That’s not the clubs fault though and if people are having they issues then they really need to address they problems internally and deal with that themselves… all the club are doing is giving fans more options and variety with the kits and everything else that they sell. 

Looks like you’ve become the latest club apologist. That’s a very low blow shifting the blame to the parent/guardian. 

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The board have been absolutely excellent.  For a start, even if most of the new fans end up drifting away when we turn shite, we've got thousands of people who have now been to Arbroath games, and so they are more likely to turn out when there is a big game on, so we've grown our casual fan base.  We have also completely renovated our stadium, modernised the facilities, and improved the hospitality.  Plus with money in the bank and no debts to service, we're basically good to go for the next 30 years.

Just now, Anotherlichtie said:

Looks like you’ve become the latest club apologist. That’s a very low blow shifting the blame to the parent/guardian. 

It’s not a low blow, why would you want the club to take responsibility for something like that, that’s absolutely wild. 

4 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

Read the room. Your the only one defending the release of 3 kits a year 

I’m absolutely not, maybe on here..

So what’s the alternative, we should sell one home kit and one away kit, keep them for two seasons and not sell anything else at all in the shop- incase there is a kid out there somewhere who wants something and their parents can’t tell them no?

They’re selling a wide range of Arbroath stuff for the supporters - fans can buy it or they can leave it but the choice is there. That’s how the world works, it’s absolutely not the club’s responsibility. This 3rd kit is also intended for a good cause… it’s a charity kit. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie