The Arbroath Thread

I just watched the post match interviews on YouTube. Jay softly spoken but clearly ready to impress, Ali confident and pretty grounded, Stowe keen and humble, Jess seems a good lad who will fit in. All good. And Dick was surprisingly factual. 

The reason I clicked on an Arbroath thread is this.

i'm amazed at the number of Lichtie posters on this forum but not quite so amazed at the number of their supporters.

In other words...you dont turn up (granted last season you did...a bit).

Just now, TONTROOPER said:

i'm amazed at the number of Lichtie posters on this forum but not quite so amazed at the number of their supporters.

??_20230718_233331.thumb.png.84c87a244b6de25ccad1c3ea639980b4.png

8 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

Cmon mate. If you are going to attempt to troll us at least make it about our bigot manager or something along those lines. Don’t be that crowd w**k guy

8 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

??_20230718_233331.thumb.png.84c87a244b6de25ccad1c3ea639980b4.png

Morton fans turned up more than usual last year too by look of it we’ve usually been about the same since we’ve been in this division 

8 hours ago, TONTROOPER said:

8 hours ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Also noticed Whatley is now at Forfar. 

Skelly too. I read Skelly (a lot chubbier than he was in his time with us) bullied the Cowden centre halves so hoping Bird or McIntosh or both have a good night tonight. Think we should be beating Cowden comfortably and Forfar maybe a little less comfortably. 

3 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

I’m much more confident than last season that we can score more than one goal. 

This time last year we breezed through the group stages while scoring plenty goals 

St Mirren 0-1 Arbroath

Arbroath 3-0 Cowdenbeath

FC Edinburgh 1-3 Arbroath

Arbroath 3-0 Airdrie 

6 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

I’m much more confident than last season that we can score more than one goal. 

Last years team against Cowden 

Gill - now away 

JT - still here under the guise of Steele

Little

ToB

Hamilton

Low - away 

Craigen - away

McKenna 

Paterson - away 

Linn - away and very much missed

Hilson - away 

Some turnaround

We should do the business tonight though

Play your best team in the formation you want to start the season and we should win comfortably, Dick always says he doesn't like this cup and it's just used for fitness but after last season it wiloukd be nice to try and build a bit of confidence and give the fans something to cheer about

Was hoping we would have left back signed by now but hopefully that will come, 

I don't know if I missed if but is big rab still involved? Haven't seen him at the games

3 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Play your best team in the formation you want to start the season and we should win comfortably, Dick always says he doesn't like this cup and it's just used for fitness but after last season it wiloukd be nice to try and build a bit of confidence and give the fans something to cheer about

Was hoping we would have left back signed by now but hopefully that will come, 

I don't know if I missed if but is big rab still involved? Haven't seen him at the games

Big Rab was warming up the keepers at the Brechin game - if you’ve not seen him I’d guess he has been on his holidays 

Also hope we don’t f**k around with Turan from the start and bring him on later if we are winning 

My start of season optimism is back!  Last season, we beat St. Mirren and cruised the group stage, with Dylan Paterson looking like he was going to be a key player.  Despite our revisionism, none of us knew at the time just how miserable the season was going to become.

I'd like to see us take this seriously and play a strong team, no 3-5-2 or "experimental" line ups.  We have to show that we have moved on from last season.

I never fully understood why anyone thought Dylan Paterson would make it at Championship level; he didn't have a standout attribute that was better than most at this level (pace, acceleration, finishing, passing etc) and his weaknesses were obvious. It'll be interesting to see how he goes at Linlithgow this year moving up a couple of levels.... he could develop into a good lower end SPFL player.

In terms of formation/ team this evening, I'm not overly fussed really. If we weren't going to be experimental then I'd expect us to play a 4-4-1-1 at home to Cowdenbeath, which would no doubt see everyone moaning about only playing 1 up top at home to a Lowland League side. We could of course play a 4-4-2 with Scott Allan in the middle of the park, more attacking and should obviously still have enough to win the game, but going with that into the league season would see us taking a battering quite often.

In my opinion we've got some quite difficult choices to make for the league campaign - but choices that're great to have. To get our best players on the pitch, I'd argue we'd want to be playing two up front and Scott Allan in central midfield as things stand.... however if we play two up top and Allan in a midfield two we'll get overrun, especially if Stowe was also starting. A 3-5-2 is the only formation currently that gets our best players on the park in a formation that is workable..... not that I'm advocating playing it. It would allow us to get our best individual players on the pitch, but would it get the best out of the team as a whole? If we go with a 4-4-2 into the league season, I don't think Stowe would be starting and I'd suspect it to be a much more compact midfield. A 4-4-2 also means Mikey McKenna would be much less effective and his weaknesses would be shown up much more in a rigid formation if he started..... his best position by a mile is as a number 10/ attacking midfielder.

It's going to be a very difficult balancing act to get our best players on the pitch in a formation that allows them to play to the best of their ability. Whatever formation we pick we'll have options on the bench that can come on and change the way we're playing that're as good as what they replace, where as last year all we could do was play a 4-5-1 and make like for like changes which weakened the team.