The Arbroath Thread

16 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Good news! We now have an online archive containing our entire history! The archive is now fully live and can be found here; Arbroath Archive. Below gives a rough idea of what we've got on there:

·  A record of every game we've played from 1878 until present day, with over 6400 total games in total, with game date (teams, subs, scorers, ref etc) where known, and highlights for modern day games

·  A match report for every almost every game with thousands of old reports from the Arbroath Herald & Arbroath Guide and dozens of other sources, as well as fan reports from the old arbroathfc.org.uk website for our games in the 90s and early 00s

·  A profile for every player who has played for the club containing their full playing record for the club as well as player info, a picture where we have it and a biography

·  Our all-time player appearance records, goalscorer records and clean sheet records

·  Hundreds of pictures, programme covers, a managerial timeline, hat trick heroes and lots more!

As well as the site itself, we will be looking to keep our social media pages fairly active with regular posts on a whole host of things, such as 'Guess the Player', 'On This Day', 'Did You Know?' etc. as well as hopefully further articles/ interviews in the future.

We have a fantastic history as a football club, and I'm delighted we have our full records online for all to see and hope the social media channels will help bring some wonderful stories of players, matches etc. to you all over the coming months/ years. If anyone wants to get involved or has any material they think we should have on the site it'd be great to hear from them.

It'd be great if people we're able to share the site/ social media posts on their own online profiles to get things out there. Any and all questions/ contributions/ ideas etc. are welcomed and very much encouraged :) 

Facebook
Twitter

Unbelievable effort. Well done.

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

Good news! We now have an online archive containing our entire history! The archive is now fully live and can be found here; Arbroath Archive. Below gives a rough idea of what we've got on there:

·  A record of every game we've played from 1878 until present day, with over 6400 total games in total, with game date (teams, subs, scorers, ref etc) where known, and highlights for modern day games

·  A match report for every almost every game with thousands of old reports from the Arbroath Herald & Arbroath Guide and dozens of other sources, as well as fan reports from the old arbroathfc.org.uk website for our games in the 90s and early 00s

·  A profile for every player who has played for the club containing their full playing record for the club as well as player info, a picture where we have it and a biography

·  Our all-time player appearance records, goalscorer records and clean sheet records

·  Hundreds of pictures, programme covers, a managerial timeline, hat trick heroes and lots more!

As well as the site itself, we will be looking to keep our social media pages fairly active with regular posts on a whole host of things, such as 'Guess the Player', 'On This Day', 'Did You Know?' etc. as well as hopefully further articles/ interviews in the future.

We have a fantastic history as a football club, and I'm delighted we have our full records online for all to see and hope the social media channels will help bring some wonderful stories of players, matches etc. to you all over the coming months/ years. If anyone wants to get involved or has any material they think we should have on the site it'd be great to hear from them.

It'd be great if people we're able to share the site/ social media posts on their own online profiles to get things out there. Any and all questions/ contributions/ ideas etc. are welcomed and very much encouraged :) 

Facebook
Twitter

Even got random trialists in there fair play, class work from everyone involved.

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

Facebook
Twitter

I know how long this has been in the works, great to see it out for everyone to enjoy. Fantastic effort mate

Something I'm hoping the social media profiles will be useful for is highlighting some things that, while they are on the archive itself, can easily get lost in amongst everything else. For example, I'd be very surprised if someone stumbled upon the previously unseen 20 minute long highlights of George Best playing at Gayfield for Arbroath Vics against ourselves to celebrate the Vics centenary, but through the wonders of social media I've been able to highlight them on posts on Twitter and Facebook. ;) Both posts have a link to the highlights, and the Facebook post explains how we got our hands on them :)

image.jpeg.d881ab627d451612c15d2067473a7585.jpeg

Best1.jpg.2b8dba4527f481999fd5346b18f3a44c.jpg

best3.jpg.594dbc0fb77247242016d6ea066741f2.jpg

best2.jpg.8218129ee151cf2ff6a46c413d08b51e.jpg

best4.jpg.cb7ec11adc110cf9b61844a20a5e2531.jpg

4 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Something I'm hoping the social media profiles will be useful for is highlighting some things that, while they are on the archive itself, can easily get lost in amongst everything else. For example, I'd be very surprised if someone stumbled upon the previously unseen 20 minute long highlights of George Best playing at Gayfield for Arbroath Vics against ourselves to celebrate the Vics centenary, but through the wonders of social media I've been able to highlight them on posts on Twitter and Facebook. ;) Both posts have a link to the highlights, and the Facebook post explains how we got our hands on them :)

image.jpeg.d881ab627d451612c15d2067473a7585.jpeg

Best1.jpg.2b8dba4527f481999fd5346b18f3a44c.jpg

best3.jpg.594dbc0fb77247242016d6ea066741f2.jpg

best2.jpg.8218129ee151cf2ff6a46c413d08b51e.jpg

best4.jpg.cb7ec11adc110cf9b61844a20a5e2531.jpg

Simon, you able to find highlights of Arbroath beating Hibs in the Scottish cup approx 1977 at Easter Road, highlights were shown on the BBC at the time, cheers.

Ace. Able to relive the details of this shambles. 4-2 up with 8 minutes to go only to lose 4-5.

I remember (at 4-4) the feeling of dread when Watty Boyd went galloping up the pitch in slow motion to try and salvage the win only to lose the ball at the half way line and Roberts ran on to smash it past Balfour. Then the feeling of disbelief when the final whistle blew.

Some games just stick in your memory, normally the disasters. The Partick cup game when they were down to 8 and still won or the Cowdenbeath game in ‘93 when we were 2-0 up going into injury time and it ended 2-2.

Great stuff.

C6CDBAC1-9D40-4B0F-8C82-9A127857FB0F.png

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Ace. Able to relive the details of this shambles. 4-2 up with 8 minutes to go only to lose 4-5.

I remember (at 4-4) the feeling of dread when Watty Boyd went galloping up the pitch in slow motion to try and salvage the win only to lose the ball at the half way line and Roberts ran on to smash it past Balfour. Then the feeling of disbelief when the final whistle blew.

Some games just stick in your memory, normally the disasters. The Partick cup game when they were down to 8 and still won or the Cowdenbeath game in ‘93 when we were 2-0 up going into injury time and it ended 2-2.

Great stuff.

Wow this match still gives me and my dad nightmares 😱🇱🇻⚽🔥 Was only 10 at the time and just remember it totally pissing down and losing 3 goals last 5 minutes 😭😭😭 My dad in total disbelief and a long silent walk home 

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Don’t remember this guy Simon! 

IMG_7756.jpeg

A 75 minute cameo appearance in a pre season friendly v St Johnstone in 2021 ;) Had a brief stint with Peterhead during the second half of last season!

2 hours ago, Broath Boy said:

Simon, you able to find highlights of Arbroath beating Hibs in the Scottish cup approx 1977 at Easter Road, highlights were shown on the BBC at the time, cheers.

This is one of many things still on my to do list! I believe/ hope that both the BBC and STV archives still have footage of us that hasn't been seen in 'modern' times... STV especially would've had two years of our highlights on Scotsport First in the early 00s. I'm certainly hopeful we can unearth more over time.... with everything now fully live I'm also hoping people may have older footage/ pictures etc. in lofts and other places that we could scrounge off them ;) 

Great stuff.

I've been told tales of this game over the past 20 years by various people, one that sticks is how people have begun walking round from the far side enclosure towards the exits at the other side with 10 minutes or so to go, Arbroath winning 4-2 and seeing it out, and by the time they'd gradually got over to the exits for full time we were 5-4 down :lol: 

And who can forget the 5-0 friendly win v Locked Out Engineers in 1897 😆

What a resource!

:lol: 

One of 11 games we've played on Christmas Day! Our last one was in 1971 against Queen of the South:

image.png.24b6372dba972008b670e0acb45caed6.png

Any posters on here in attendance?

All the positive feedback is great to hear and all extremely appreciated. It has taken a somewhat large amount of time/ effort to put everything together, but I honestly believe every minute of it has been worthwhile. I would say that just because I've put in the leg work, it doesn't mean it's 'mine'. The Arbroath Archive is the clubs archive - and we, the fans, are the club. I can't emphasise enough how much contributions in any way, shape or form are encouraged and appreciated :) 

5 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

Facebook
Twitter

Excellent stuff.

But still......

200w (1).gif

1 hour ago, 36-0 Maroon said:

Wow this match still gives me and my dad nightmares 😱🇱🇻⚽🔥 Was only 10 at the time and just remember it totally pissing down and losing 3 goals last 5 minutes 😭😭😭 My dad in total disbelief and a long silent walk home 

It was something else. It was back in the days of when me and my brothers would get the bus down to games from Aberdeen.

The 2 hour journey home on the slow coast bus was particularly depressing (pretty regular back then) - soaked and pissed off. We would normally have a few beers back in Aberdeen but I think that was a straight home job.

Looking back on games like those really puts where we are now into perspective.

54 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

A 75 minute cameo appearance in a pre season friendly v St Johnstone in 2021 ;) Had a brief stint with Peterhead during the second half of last season!

This is one of many things still on my to do list! I believe/ hope that both the BBC and STV archives still have footage of us that hasn't been seen in 'modern' times... STV especially would've had two years of our highlights on Scotsport First in the early 00s. I'm certainly hopeful we can unearth more over time.... with everything now fully live I'm also hoping people may have older footage/ pictures etc. in lofts and other places that we could scrounge off them ;) 

I've been told tales of this game over the past 20 years by various people, one that sticks is how people have begun walking round from the far side enclosure towards the exits at the other side with 10 minutes or so to go, Arbroath winning 4-2 and seeing it out, and by the time they'd gradually got over to the exits for full time we were 5-4 down :lol: 

:lol: 

One of 11 games we've played on Christmas Day! Our last one was in 1971 against Queen of the South:

image.png.24b6372dba972008b670e0acb45caed6.png

Any posters on here in attendance?

All the positive feedback is great to hear and all extremely appreciated. It has taken a somewhat large amount of time/ effort to put everything together, but I honestly believe every minute of it has been worthwhile. I would say that just because I've put in the leg work, it doesn't mean it's 'mine'. The Arbroath Archive is the clubs archive - and we, the fans, are the club. I can't emphasise enough how much contributions in any way, shape or form are encouraged and appreciated :) 

Not me, but my dad would have been at it, will ask him the next time I see him

31 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Excellent stuff.

But still......

200w (1).gif

While I appreciate the positive feedback, this is my favourite response so far :D Genuinely, all I really wanted to do was compare all of our top end appearance holders and see how our modern day legends like Ricky, Hammy, Bobby etc. compared.... Then the nerd in me took over, and here we are..... 

At least I now know there's a good chance of Ricky and Hammy breaking into our top 5 of all time fairly soon, and potentially getting close to the top end if things go well.... ;) 

1 minute ago, SimonLichtie said:

While I appreciate the positive feedback, this is my favourite response so far :D Genuinely, all I really wanted to do was compare all of our top end appearance holders and see how our modern day legends like Ricky, Hammy, Bobby etc. compared.... Then the nerd in me took over, and here we are..... 

At least I now know there's a good chance of Ricky and Hammy breaking into our top 5 of all time fairly soon, and potentially getting close to the top end if things go well.... ;) 

this mean you can finally come for a pint? See you at the Art Bar 🍺 

Was browsing through the archives (this is an absolute wonder of a resource), and amazingly, there is a list of every signing made by managers.  For all we complain about last year's transfer business, nothing, absolutely nothing can top John Brownlie's  signings.  Jim Gardner?  Steven Fallon?  Innes Ritchie?  Craig Feroz?  Andy Dow?  I can't even remember some of the others, they were obviously purged from my memory.  I apologise for any criticism of our current management's signings.  I have a new perspective now.

image.thumb.png.cb8017389f7ebc3548a1cb15930c2a5d.png