The Arbroath Thread

19 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

😆 interestingly, my older brother used to go out with Balfour’s sister before we moved to Aberdeen. Pretty sure they used to “babysit” young Derek. If only my brother had advised him to give up goal keeping at a young age, or at least hid his gloves.

He wasn’t a great keeper tbf but I don’t think he could be blamed solely for such a capitulation. Personally, I was furious with him and Wattie Boyd but it was likely a team effort.

I’ll have to ask my brother if the dad had a hot head.

🤣🤣🤣 amazing mate, Keep me posted 

Kind of wish Simon hadn’t done this. The amount of time I’m wasting when I should be working is crazy - my boss is an absolute dick and I’d be in trouble if he found out…

… I’m self employed 🤣

Brings back so many memories, good and bad. Some games just stick in your memory.

Always remember this 6-3 win over QOTS in April ‘84. On fire that day and I remember Dougie Lees playing a blinder and scoring a peach, curling one in from 20 yards for our sixth goal.

One of the reasons it stands out so much is that we’d recently found out that we were leaving Arbroath to move to Aberdeen soon and this was one of the last games I would go to for a while. At the time I was a 15 year old, Arbroath FC daft, season ticket holder so moving to the other side of the world (felt like it and might as well have been) was pretty horrible.

53817CE5-6285-40CD-AC3D-A7E269E9530A.png

11 hours ago, Anotherlichtie said:

I’m here mate.  Been bullied on here recently but still came on to have a look. 

some posters on here should Remember the “be kind” movement  though. Abhorrent abuse being targeted at me for having an opinion 

Ridiculous comment went into hiding....Don't worry we all make mistakes 😉

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

I remember all of these very well - which is unfortunate in the case of the Spartans game :lol: I also remember McDonald mainly due to his ponytail at the time and remember him getting a rousing reception upon being subbed late on in the 4-2 game against Clydebank in which he got his hatrick.

The Kevin Webster winner I remember vividly - cut inside his full back right infront of the away fans in the stand at Ochilview and then celebrated by running past the away support to the home end. After the game I'm fairly sure he said he didn't realise where the away fans were...... surely all of us celebrating in one half of the stand and the Stenny fans head in hands in the other should've given that away :lol:

I'm not surprised you haven't mentioned the Stranraer away play off promotion game from May 2008 considering my memories of that have you in a slightly worse for wear state after the bus journey down :P 

Hope Sheffield is treating you well - I advise you to get up the road to Gayfield for a game this year ;) 

The Stranraer and Cowdenbeath games in the play offs were the last games of watching Arbroath before moving down south. Happy memories to leave with both of which a lot of alcohol was involved as you say. 

One game that I could not remember however with the knowledge you have you will definitely remember. It was either Jim Mercer or John McGlashan scoring from near the halfway line at Gayfield. At the time it was the best goal I’d ever seen so hoping you’ll know the game it’s from.

As for coming back up for a match. Think I’ve been up for 3 since leaving in 2008 and don’t think we’ve won one so probably best staying away. Although it would be brilliant to get the ‘gang’ back for 1 match and do hospitality package. 

3 minutes ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

The Stranraer and Cowdenbeath games in the play offs were the last games of watching Arbroath before moving down south. Happy memories to leave with both of which a lot of alcohol was involved as you say. 

One game that I could not remember however with the knowledge you have you will definitely remember. It was either Jim Mercer or John McGlashan scoring from near the halfway line at Gayfield. At the time it was the best goal I’d ever seen so hoping you’ll know the game it’s from.

As for coming back up for a match. Think I’ve been up for 3 since leaving in 2008 and don’t think we’ve won one so probably best staying away. Although it would be brilliant to get the ‘gang’ back for 1 match and do hospitality package. 

I mind Barry Sellers scoring from his own half against Dumbarton. 

31 minutes ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

I'm sure I mind that game, it was Jim Mercer, and I'm sure it was disallowed for a foul.  A few years later, I believe Andy Cargill got one from the halfway line, but its the Mercer one I remember.

All I am hoping for tonight is that we show we have improved going forward and we can create more opportunities. Almost everybody has us as finishing bottom or going down so back to where we were at the start of the season before last where we are massive underdogs and I feel that's when we can become dangerous. Need to turn Gayfield back into a fortress and make United work for anything they get, too many games we just gave away last year. 

We will need around 10-12 wins so would be great if we could get a bonus one tonight.

4 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I worry about this, because normally, we'd stick Rab Douglas on the bench for something like this... Is he away for good?

Pretty sure the club would've announced if Rab was away, think he has maybe on holiday for a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Tattie36 said:

Kind of wish Simon hadn’t done this. The amount of time I’m wasting when I should be working is crazy - my boss is an absolute dick and I’d be in trouble if he found out…

… I’m self employed 🤣

Brings back so many memories, good and bad. Some games just stick in your memory.

Always remember this 6-3 win over QOTS in April ‘84. On fire that day and I remember Dougie Lees playing a blinder and scoring a peach, curling one in from 20 yards for our sixth goal.

One of the reasons it stands out so much is that we’d recently found out that we were leaving Arbroath to move to Aberdeen soon and this was one of the last games I would go to for a while. At the time I was a 15 year old, Arbroath FC daft, season ticket holder so moving to the other side of the world (felt like it and might as well have been) was pretty horrible.

53817CE5-6285-40CD-AC3D-A7E269E9530A.png

I’m minding a Queens missed pen. Pat McLuskey? 

29 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I worry about this, because normally, we'd stick Rab Douglas on the bench for something like this... Is he away for good?

You realise Rab is in his 50's. Could you imagine the uproar if we actually had to use him in a league match having been retired for years. No brainer to get an emergency loan regardless if Rab is present or not. (I hope he is) 

Edited by Hammerafc

2 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

… I’m self employed 🤣

I met your boss at a game up at Cove last season, he didn't seem as bad as you make out ;) 

1 hour ago, Arbroathlegend36-0 said:

Easy :D I know it was Mercer, I know it was against Stenhousemuir, quick look at his profile under 'list of goals scored' and I've got it! ;) 

image.png.c056c127defec6ec832701383e49c612.png

Luckily the late 90s/ early 2000s has a lot of match reports I was able to recover from arbroathfc.org.uk, as well as some pictures. Personally I think it's wonderful having these fan reports from 25 odd years ago rescued and archived going forward, I think there must be 100+ reports from the org.uk website and they all give an in depth idea of what was happening both on and off the park at the time.

Here's a picture of 'Slim Jim' celebrating his goal!

1695.jpg

A wee snippet from the match report describing the goal:

The highlights of the second half was Hinchie coming out of his goalmouth, chasing the ball and tackling the opposition as he tried desperately to clear the danger - he eventually lost the ball but our capable defence swept up after him. At the other end the Warriors keeper tried to do the same thing but, from out on his left at the bye-line, cleared upfield to Jim Mercer who, in Beckham style, from the bye-line in the middle of the park hoofed the ball skywards, taking advantage of the light breeze, to put us 2 goals up in 62 minutes.

This was also Dave Baikie's last game in charge, with rumours going round the Gayfield terraces of his imminent departure during the match.

14 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

You realise Rab is in his 50's. Could you imagine the uproar if we actually had to use him in a league match having been retired for years. No brainer to get an emergency loan regardless if Rab is present or not. (I hope he is) 

You say that, but he's been named on the bench for us more than once in recent seasons.  I'm not saying start him, but presumably this emergency loan is cover for Gaston, and not starting.  

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

You say that, but he's been named on the bench for us more than once in recent seasons.  I'm not saying start him, but presumably this emergency loan is cover for Gaston, and not starting.  

So if Gaston got injured or sent off early in the game, it makes sense for the club to get  goalie in short term rather than someone in their 50s or play an outfield player in goals. It does seem a bit late in the day, so it looks like the Adams suspension maybe hasnt been picked up

10 minutes ago, VinnyPar said:

Yer man Dick Campbell labelling Hamilton as the best left back in the league is very, very funny

Not that funny when you are bright enough to realise everything Dick says should be taken with a half Q of salt.