The Arbroath Thread

2 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Losing like that against a team like Utd playing in that way doesn't worry me hugely - if we put in that sort of performances against a team we'd expect to be bottom half this year I would however be extremely concerned.

Love your optimism. 

Sadly we were right royaly pumped and 2nd best all over the park. 

If we get a point over the next 2 games I'll be pleasantly surprised 

United were dancing through our midfield and tormenting our defence.

As others have mentioned - we need a left back and a strong, battling midfielder - someone who can stamp their authority in midfield.

United were too fast and too good - they will win the league, but thats no excuse for allowing them to dominate midfield.

Hopefully thats our heaviest defeat and worst performance out of the way - would expect at least one more signing and a couple of loan players to strengthen the squad.

Too tired to air my thoughts in greater detail.

But by f**k that was bad. Dick setup that team as naïve as he possibly could. Utter madness.

No LB or DM. An unfit CB.  A formation that was asking for trouble. All blame lands on him.

No matter how well we played tonight we were always up against it, same goes for the next 2 games, but it’s been a long time since I was so pissed off at a performance.

Fully expected to not win that, but we made them look like Rangers or Celtic. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That was pish

We are such a soft touch. Embarrassing 

2 in middle of park, run right over the top of. Never ever again please. What I’d give for a Mark fkn Whatley 

Whatley > slater 

1 hour ago, DUAFC said:

Love your optimism. 

Sadly we were right royaly pumped and 2nd best all over the park. 

If we get a point over the next 2 games I'll be pleasantly surprised 

Your team won mate should be aiming for more than a point surely. ?

3 minutes ago, C_titz said:

Your team won mate should be aiming for more than a point surely. ?

Back to your original point, attempting to rip the piss out of Bobby Linn's accent,  that was a good look !!

Naive tonight. Wrong selection, wrong starting 11. 
We all know we’re short in a few areas, no doubt the club have been trying hard to fix this. 
Will be interesting to see how we fare against other sides and if DUFC railroad more teams than us. 

Not worried…… for now! No point losing the head at the minute. 

Simply can't give easy goals away like we did tonight against anybody. Balde and Slater just didn't perform. Had to change that after 15-20 minutes and not wait until halftime. Probably wouldn't have changed the result but had to do something. 

That said Utd looked much better than any team in the league the last couple of seasons but very early days. 

First quarter of the season before we will really know what the story is in the league. One to forget though. 

11 minutes ago, b ross said:

Naive tonight. Wrong selection, wrong starting 11. 
We all know we’re short in a few areas, no doubt the club have been trying hard to fix this. 
Will be interesting to see how we fare against other sides and if DUFC railroad more teams than us. 

Not worried…… for now! No point losing the head at the minute. 

I agree with you to a point. If we had had a moderate season last season and a decent enough pre-season and league cup then I wouldn’t be worried in the slightest. Yes we hoped for better but it’s been on the cards and tonight was entirely predictable . The Montrose win papered over some pretty huge and very obvious cracks, and the inability to beat Cowdenbeath, being pumped by Forfar and St Mirren, and out played by Brechin and Montrose (ok it wasn’t a “Proper” game) have all been part of a trend.

Prepared to accept that United might just do that to everyone this season and that we’ll be fine but, based on what I’ve seen so far, any team with a passing game, and a bit of pace and physicality will destroy us - hope I’m wrong.

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

If you were one of the idiots that booed the team off at hand time

dont come back 

Not sure how you got to that conclusion but I never boo my own team and never will. Stayed until the end and will be back. 

What I was trying to get at was we we were needing to change the midfield and waiting until half time was too late. 

8 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

Not sure how you got to that conclusion but I never boo my own team and never will. Stayed until the end and will be back. 

What I was trying to get at was we we were needing to change the midfield and waiting until half time was too late. 

I don’t think his comment was aimed at you, just a general comment about some fans booing.

While I think booing your team off the park for whatever reason isn’t great (although I’m sure it was probably aimed at the management), there is a section of fans of every team on the planet that would do the same. Jesus, I’ve seen fans boo off their team at 0-0 at half time.

Edited by Tattie36

24 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I agree with you to a point. If we had had a moderate season last season and a decent enough pre-season and league cup then I wouldn’t be worried in the slightest. Yes we hoped for better but it’s been on the cards and tonight was entirely predictable . The Montrose win papered over some pretty huge and very obvious cracks, and the inability to beat Cowdenbeath, being pumped by Forfar and St Mirren, and out played by Brechin and Montrose (ok it wasn’t a “Proper” game) have all been part of a trend.

Prepared to accept that United might just do that to everyone this season and that we’ll be fine but, based on what I’ve seen so far, any team with a passing game, and a bit of pace and physicality will destroy us - hope I’m wrong.

40 years going to Gayfield, these are by far the best gravy days I’ve witnessed. 
Hence, not getting overly exercised when things aren’t going to plan. 

Very proud of my wee club! 

Edited by b ross