The Arbroath Thread

11 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I think you're missing the point here. With all due respect. United are not arguing that this is necessary. Nobody is arguing that. There is literally no point arguing against that view because no one is expressing that view. The position is (and this seems to be really hard for some folk to get their head around): game's on Saturday, okay cool; game's actually on Friday because we think this might be good, fair enough.

It's only Arbroath who are making this an issue and the issue, apparently, is that part time players shouldn't be asked to play on a work night. That doesn't seem to be a tenable position for a Championship club.

Mate, United aren't dictating anything. The SPFL dictated that the Gayfield game was on a Friday night at the request of TV and have dictated that the Tannadice game will be on a Friday night at the request of United. It's a real shame that you won't be able to make the game but, on the plus side, there may be other people who can make the game because it's a Friday rather than a Saturday so it's not all bad. There are lots of people who work in retail, for example, who really struggle with Saturday afternoons. It'll be a boon for them. It's less convenient for me too because I work quite a distance away and I'm a season ticket holder at Tannadice so I've already paid for the game. But that's okay, I'm aware that sometimes games get moved for various reasons and it's not just about me.

What a pile of shite you’ve just wrote there.

54 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That’s a bizarre reading of what I said.

The point is that Arbroath have made a conscious decision to stay part-time, and I’ve frequently read posters on here extolling the advantages it supposedly gives you. With that being the case, you can’t use it as an excuse to get out of occasions when it disadvantages you. Whether or not you think the Friday game is for a good reason, Arbroath being part time shouldn’t come into it.

Fixtures get moved in the top flight all the time. 

If a club wants to move a scheduled fixture, for any other reason than TV or police as clubs obviously have no choice, both teams should have to agree to it. Doesn’t matter whether that’s a part time team or a full time team. 

End of story, simple 

Feels like a lot of people are more annoyed over our part time status than anything to do with the fact the SPFL went and moved this fixture when only one team agreed to it 

37 minutes ago, keptie said:

At the whim of the home team wanting to have some tinpot celebration?

We’ve had games postponed because the opposition wanted to go off and play a “glamour friendly”.

The point is that it’s either a valid reason to move a game, or it isn’t. Arbroath choosing to be part time is irrelevant. Obviously the SPFL board agree that it is a valid reason, so here we are. 

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

We’ve had games postponed because the opposition wanted to go off and play a “glamour friendly”.

The point is that it’s either a valid reason to move a game, or it isn’t. Arbroath choosing to be part time is irrelevant. Obviously the SPFL board agree that it is a valid reason, so here we are. 

Oh, well if the SPFL board say so.  Presumably nobody should ever question the word of the board, right?

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

So the fact you’ve been fucked over makes this ok then yeah? And we should just not say anything at all and shut up and get on with it. Brilliant

We have every right to put that statement out - we obviously will go ahead and play the game. The statement was needed to let everyone know the situation, if I didn’t know the situation and thought we’d agreed to this I would have been angry at the club.

Arbroath have not done anything wrong so I do not see what your issue is 

1 minute ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Common sense says it is not a valid reason.. Are you the Thistle supporter that said Nouble was lowland-junior standard btw?

41 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Which opposition teams would those be I wonder?

I’m sure the majority of your support and your board would have been, rightly, furious at the time.

Lets not let the behaviour of “them” and their lapdogs at the SPFL dictate and benchmark how others are treated.

Edited by Tattie36

3 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Arbroath have not done anything wrong so I do not see what your issue is 

I think its quite simple, he's a fan of one of the "big" full time teams, and he doesn't like it when us wee clubs get uppity.  Bet he'd scream blue murder about the Old Firm though, because presumably he has no sense of irony.

6 minutes ago, keptie said:

Common sense says it is not a valid reason.. Are you the Thistle supporter that said Nouble was lowland-junior standard btw?

No, I’m not.

I’ll be leaving it here, but my view is simple. United are have requested the change which they’re perfectly entitled to do. Arbroath can oppose that change, but I don’t think their stated reason for doing so stands up to any scrutiny. 

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

No, I’m not.

I’ll be leaving it here, but my view is simple. United are have requested the change which they’re perfectly entitled to do. Arbroath can oppose that change, but I don’t think their stated reason for doing so stands up to any scrutiny. 

I don't think United's reason for changing the game stands up to scrutiny.

23 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

No, I’m not.

It does not matter.

We could disagree to the game being moved for whatever reason we wanted, one team cannot move a scheduled fixture just because they fancy it if the other team doesn’t want to

Both teams should have to agree - plain and simple 

While I dislike the competition, I see games like this as a relative free hit at this stage. I expect we'll make 3/4 changes from last week and try a few things out - one of those games where no-one should really be fussed by the line up or subs.

We've got to give Jess Norey a run out, Hylton deserves a start after the last few weeks as does McIntosh while Adams should get a game as well. I'd give Stowe another start as well.

10 minutes ago, afc_36_0 said:

Anyway… onto today… beautiful day for it, wonder what that fat c**t dodds will moan about? Too hot?

😂😂

13 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

While I dislike the competition, I see games like this as a relative free hit at this stage. I expect we'll make 3/4 changes from last week and try a few things out - one of those games where no-one should really be fussed by the line up or subs.

We've got to give Jess Norey a run out, Hylton deserves a start after the last few weeks as does McIntosh while Adams should get a game as well. I'd give Stowe another start as well.

Fully agree 

17 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Mostly agree, as long as we don't go all Dunfermline and play some sort of obviously idiotic formation.  Variations within a theme!  But aye, generally agree.

First half, we created a fair number of chances, and deserve to be leading.  We've lined up with Turan up front, which makes sense if we're looking to see what our options are if Bird and McIntosh are both injured.  Inverness keeper made a great save to keep a shot out.  We've got Hylton, McKenna and Balde playing behind him, and Hylton and McKenna in particular seem to have a a good understanding and are combining really well.  Balde feels a little more like he's doing his own thing out on the right.  Behind him, we have Gold and Jacobs, who seem to be doing reasonably well, helped by what looks like a very poor Inverness team.  I assume they are also giving fringe players games.