The Arbroath Thread

58 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Is there a match thread for Saturday?Definitely sense a bit of apathy amongst the support at the minute.

5 defeats on the spin 

haemorrhaging goals

manager arguing with the support

I can see why folk are not feeling great about the club the now.

We got horsed 4 - 1 off the Spartans. 

We had a corner,  they kept 3 players up on the half way line,  never been seen before in my time at Gayfield. 

Think they're manager was micky lawson who either played,  or managed arbroath back in the day 

7 hours ago, DUAFC said:

We got horsed 4 - 1 off the Spartans. 

We had a corner,  they kept 3 players up on the half way line,  never been seen before in my time at Gayfield. 

Think they're manager was micky lawson who either played,  or managed arbroath back in the day 

Mickey Lawson was the Red Lichties Manager prior to the Danny McGrain era, i was at a Scotland midweek game at Ibrox (sure it was against Italy) and was in a boozer near the ground and Micky Lawson and his mates was in the same pub and saw our flag with Arbroath FC on it and he told us he had been punted and a big name new Manager was away to be announced as the next Red Lichtie Manager and the rest is history.  

On field I’ve no idea what our best team is. I doubt Dick does either but whatever It is - it must start tomorrow. None of this “resting people” pish. Will cheer the guys on for the full 90 tomorrow but Dick’s got a lot to do to get me back on side. We never look like we’ve got a plan going forward and now look like we’ve done no training at the back and the time for change looks very close. 

28 minutes ago, Fitbafan36 said:

On field I’ve no idea what our best team is. I doubt Dick does either but whatever It is - it must start tomorrow. None of this “resting people” pish. Will cheer the guys on for the full 90 tomorrow but Dick’s got a lot to do to get me back on side. We never look like we’ve got a plan going forward and now look like we’ve done no training at the back and the time for change looks very close. 

If Macintosh is our only doubt then Dick has the option of playing the team that was beating all comers just a few weeks back. That would mean dropping Hammy which I doubt he’ll do. I suspect ToB may still be out and Hammy in the centre with Ricky. Getting Hylton back in would be a big plus.

This is a huge game, I don't see anyone getting rested, not sure where that would come from, hopefully injuries have cleared from last week and we can get back to near enough the team that saw us go on that winning run. 

I would go;

Gatson

Stewart Steele O'Brien Hamilton

Dow Gold Slater Hylton

McKenna

Bird

Two of our defenders have become new dads this week. Great news for them obviously but, speaking from experience, I can’t imagine that the sleep deprivation and general knackerdness is the best preparation for a game of fitba.

ETA experience of being a dad not a semi pro footballer 😆

Edited by Tattie36

54 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I’m not too sure on Hylton, looks like he’s already checked out knowing he’s going somewhere full time in January. 

He’s known he was going somewhere full time in January for a long time but he’s been our outstanding player this season - seems like a genuinely hardworking nice guy there’s no way he’s not going to give his all - players that play at this level are rarely like that and I don’t buy it. 

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

This is a huge game, I don't see anyone getting rested, not sure where that would come from, hopefully injuries have cleared from last week and we can get back to near enough the team that saw us go on that winning run. 

I would go;

Gatson

Stewart Steele O'Brien Hamilton

Dow Gold Slater Hylton

McKenna

Bird

There’s no doubt it’s a strong enough team to get through this tie and to do well in the league too - something just feels off though.

A win tomorrow is a must a cup run and the finances it can bring is very important to the club and we’ve not had the best time in it in recent years. 

It’s the games v Dunfermline and Ayr that I’m worried about. Even if we were to win tomorrow what happens if we go and get defeats in they 2. That would be 7 league defeats on the trot. 

Have we ever had a run as poor as that in recent memory?

I think if we can get that team on the pitch or close to it, then we can definitely pick up results against Ayr and Dunfermline. They've both been very up and down also.

The concern for me is the back up players just not being up to it, hopefully that gets addressed in January.

17 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

t’s the games v Dunfermline and Ayr that I’m worried about. Even if we were to win tomorrow what happens if we go and get defeats in they 2. That would be 7 league defeats on the trot. 

I share your worries and I guess a lot of others do as well. I'm not too optimistic about winning both games, really only see us taking 1 point over the two games. Maybe a good win tomorrow would lift confidence around the club, but we had high hopes of beating The New Saints and were well beaten, so I'm taking nothing for granted tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Smokerson said:

I think if we can get that team on the pitch or close to it, then we can definitely pick up results against Ayr and Dunfermline. They've both been very up and down also.

The concern for me is the back up players just not being up to it, hopefully that gets addressed in January.

It’s not even hindsight though the whole back up thing.

99 percent of fans cried out for a left back / another defender.

I thought when we got Lyon it could’ve worked out as adequate cover back there but we’ve not had any competition when the defence has not been at it and we have also had nobody to come in and replace the players who have missed out through injury etc - Little / ToB and Hamilton mainly. 

Think you could’ve hit 2 birds with 1 stone if we’d signed a Defensive Midfielder who could also play Centre Half on loan but we had already resigned Jacobs in the summer who’s absolutely finished and taken a punt on Norey. 

Then of course Dick has managed to fall out with Balde when he had shown a lot of promise at times and had shown he could be a good squad player. He’s now away on loan because of that and I would be pleasantly surprised if all is well there and he ends up staying. 

I actually think the squad is a good one on the whole and it is a pretty solid group of players. When confidence is high and things were going well we made the game look easy. 

The change in performances and vibe around the team feels like to me some of the players also feel similarly to the way the fans do. We just look like we need a refresh and reboot to be honest we have sunk back into a similar vibe as last year and it is showing on the park in my opinion.

I hope in 10 days time we’ve got through to the next round of the cup and have managed to take 3 points minimum (which would be a decent return) from Ayr and Dunfermline and it can give everyone a lift again. 

5 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I’m not too sure on Hylton, looks like he’s already checked out knowing he’s going somewhere full time in January. 

From the highlights I've seen he looks classy and a real joy to watch; a game changer and they are hard to come by and replace.

Good luck tomorrow, won't be easy and Spartans will sense but blood so a decent start is imperative. Should have enough.

How has Leighton been for you so far? Not getting regular starts it seems. Bird looks a deserving first choice to be fair.

I'd take Leighton back, he's ahead of Mitch who is waning before our eyes to some extent. McIntosh is someone I feel who would excel in the right team in L1 but the Championship a step too far? He can be a useful impact sub, however, I doubt that's why he joined.

22 minutes ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

How has Leighton been for you so far? Not getting regular starts it seems. Bird looks a deserving first choice to be fair.

I'd take Leighton back, he's ahead of Mitch who is waning before our eyes to some extent. McIntosh is someone I feel who would excel in the right team in L1 but the Championship a step too far? He can be a useful impact sub, however, I doubt that's why he joined.

I like McIntosh and one of my mates prefers him to Bird but I feel like Birds a bit of a class act with a game changing finish in him and he always seems to find a way to get a yard and get a shot away (usually a good one) which is incredibly refreshing - McIntosh definitely a handy player in Championship still though.

Ironically after last year we have some really good attacking options and have just been pish at the back this season. 

1 hour ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

From the highlights I've seen he looks classy and a real joy to watch; a game changer and they are hard to come by and replace.

Good luck tomorrow, won't be easy and Spartans will sense but blood so a decent start is imperative. Should have enough.

Jermaine is too good for us, and he knows it. His performance away to Partick Thistle was absolutely sublime but he hasn’t got anywhere near that since. Dropping him would be criminal though as he is probably the only player in our squad that can change the game in a heartbeat, a bit like Bobby Linn use too