The Arbroath Thread

1 minute ago, Tattie36 said:

I would also love some kind of update on the injury situation - completely understand though why the club might not be too keen to divulge this information to the rest of the league.

That’s exactly why they shouldn’t give any updates. 

12 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Hylton did really well for us, and I'm sad to see him go.  Presumably the club will put up a thanks and goodbye message.  I've seen some chat on the internet about him going to Hamilton...surely not?  Surely he could have his pick of the championship or even lower SPL?

Guessing he’s moved back to the same area he lived in when he was at Motherwell and just wants something around about there where he can train couple hours during day and have his evenings with family. 

Judging by the end of the Raith game it certainly looked like Jay & Hylton had made up. I am sure his contract runs until the 27th so depending on his injury the Morton away game would be his last after the Ayr double header 🇱🇻⚽🔥

From what I’ve been hearing McIntyre has offered him another 6 month deal until the end of the season and views him as a very important player in our bid to retain our Championship status, I certainly would welcome this as he has been fantastic for us aside that infamous incident and would give us such a massive confidence boost as exciting attacking players like him are hard to find. With McKenna back next month would be awesome to see that relationship clicking again 👌

If he does move on then it should be too a good quality Championship side/SPL side as he is that good, Would be disappointed and shocked to see him go too someone like Hamilton as that would be such a downgrade for someone of his quality. Fingers crossed he stays as would be a sad way to bow out after what happened and the injury, Would love to see him bow out on a high, Help Keep us in the Championship and get his big Full Time move in the Summer to a decent club. 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Edited by 36-0 Maroon

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Hylton did really well for us, and I'm sad to see him go.  Presumably the club will put up a thanks and goodbye message.  I've seen some chat on the internet about him going to Hamilton...surely not?  Surely he could have his pick of the championship or even lower SPL?

He’ll go too, whoever pays the most, simples

Not sure what the big deal is if opposing managers know about players either to be honest - I mean I imagine teams set up and prepare for all different kinds of scenarios and I’m not really sure any manager would change their team or approach because we had player x available or unavailable on a Saturday afternoon. 

On 07/01/2024 at 16:58, lichtie23 said:

That’s exactly why they shouldn’t give any updates. 

This is nonsense 

23 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not sure what the big deal is if opposing managers know about players either to be honest - I mean I imagine teams set up and prepare for all different kinds of scenarios and I’m not really sure any manager would change their team or approach because we had player x available or unavailable on a Saturday afternoon. 

This is correct 

Aye I’d imagine other teams will have more information on the our players injured than we actually do. Players/ coaches etc will speak to each other out of the game probably using same medical facilities for certain types recoveries etc. it’s no big deal really just a tad annoying us fans get kept out the loop. Few seconds of post match with a wee update would suffice and be appreciated 

You get details on injury timelines and reports at all the big clubs and in the bigger leagues with higher profiles all the time - and these teams do absolutely anything they can to gain advantages. Not sure withholding information on whether David Gold or ToB can play or not or when they’re expected to be back will really have too much of an impact on any opposing teams manager set up and approach. 

Also team lines are released a fair bit before kick off - if there was any plan A B C for a certain outcome they could still put it in place for before kick off 

Reality is every team in this leagues basically got a best starting 11 and that team will play if they’re all fit 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Let’s be honest. They will only ever release an injury update if they can sell something with it. 

“David Gold returned to training last night and is in contention to start on Saturday. Also available on Saturday are our beach towels. Perfect for all your holiday needs. £25”

Where are the new signings we are supposedly prioritising? Three points from this one could be massive. ICT play DUFC and QP go to Raith, so a chance to leave the basement if we get it right. 

54 minutes ago, relichtie said:

Where are the new signings we are supposedly prioritising? Three points from this one could be massive. ICT play DUFC and QP go to Raith, so a chance to leave the basement if we get it right. 

You really think McIntyre is not absolutely knocking his pan in trying to get guys signed? If we want a player they don’t just turn up at the doorstep of Gayfield and sign straight away. It isn’t like buying something off of Amazon Prime. 

But I agree with you, hopefully we get some more news soon and good news too. 

We’re all desperate for new signings or returns from injury but I suppose there’s a gulf between expectation and reality. I had hoped that there would have been a number of players identified (perhaps there are) and ready to be announced as soon as the window opened. As already said, there will be tireless work going on behind the scenes and I’m sure we’ll see signings or returns, hopefully very soon… as in this week soon.

Seeing a team like Dundee United, who don’t really need much, announce a few already makes it a bit more frustrating.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You really think McIntyre is not absolutely knocking his pan in trying to get guys signed? If we want a player they don’t just turn up at the doorstep of Gayfield and sign straight away. It isn’t like buying something off of Amazon Prime. 

But I agree with you, hopefully we get some more news soon and good news too. 

I got the impression from  post match Jim Mac and chairman that we were prepared to push the boat out to stay in this division and that signings were imminent. I agree that it's difficult to get players in and also that Jim Mac is probably doing his damndest to bring players in. It's just that this Saturday presents an opportunity to move up the table with a win, and we need to get this one right. 

42 minutes ago, relichtie said:

I got the impression from  post match Jim Mac and chairman that we were prepared to push the boat out to stay in this division and that signings were imminent. I agree that it's difficult to get players in and also that Jim Mac is probably doing his damndest to bring players in. It's just that this Saturday presents an opportunity to move up the table with a win, and we need to get this one right. 

I sincerely hope they do push the boat out. The financial implications of relegation would be fairly massive I would imagine.

We are setup as a Championship club now and the knock to sponsorships, merch sales, season tickets, hospitality, gate receipts, tv money, prize money etc would be huge.

I would rather the board splashed the cash (within reason) to try and keep that as opposed to dropping to L1 and starting again. Could quite easily be another QOTS…. Or worse.

Fans need to respect that McIntyre is a part-time manager and has a job out with being the manager of our football team too. It is not like he has all the time on his hands like full-time managers but I am sure he is doing as much as he can to sign the best suited players to our squad and not any free agent available which we saw was a poor recruitment strategy in the last transfer window. If we had not had all of these injuries it would be a different story but at the same time we do not want to make the wrong signings. Although I am wanting to see more signings and hope that they come in soon we need to be patient too. It may be that we sign some players on loan and if that is the case the teams that allow their players to go on loan will wait until the end of the transfer window to make sure they are not leaving themselves short in the transfer window too. It is possible that TOB and Gold could return this weekend and if that happens that will be a massive boost to our squad for Saturday. Lets all stay positive and support the management!