The Arbroath Thread

Having read the posts on here ,I can find virtually no support for JMac. If this is the same for those fans who don't post here, then the board needs to take note or it could backfire financially in season ticket sales for next season. The diehards will always buy one but we have gained a lot who do because of the success we have had recently. We are going to be hit financially anyway with vastly reduced away support, Alloa, Stenny etc will bring low hundreds if even that compared to DUFC and Dunfermline, Raith who turned up in their thousands. On the youth side of things, one thing noticeable watching other clubs is the age of some of their players, 18- 20 odds while our squad seems filled with 27-30+ year olds. A decent youth system can pay off, Hamilton brought through, McCarthy and MacArthur a few years back and both went south for big fees and became international for their countries. Definitely worth revisiting imo.

1 hour ago, mo83 said:

A think it was the tongue and cheek comment from another poster saying they would take SP no bother from us and still have spare cash.

Am not saying your skint far from it,you have been in the championship for a few years making good money and good on the club.But you are now going to be in L1 with less revenue,your overhaul of players this year is mad and I know you had injuries etc I get it but it's still some amount of players you have went through all on a decent wage a bet.

Back to SP am sure he is signed up till the summer 2025 Along with DC lads Ross and Iain....Theirs no danger any of them will be at Gayfield anytime soon especially what happened with DC near the end of his time at Arbroath.

Think you need to take the comments saying we will just pinch Petrie with a bit of tongue n cheek. I have said it several times sarcastically. I do believe one day he will be our manager though, all good things come to an end at every football club and it’ll be the same for Petrie and Montrose. Whenever that happens, whether it’s next year or 3 years down the line he would be an ideal candidate for Gayfield. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

36 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Think you need to take the comments saying we will just pinch Petrie with a bit of tongue n cheek. I have said it several times sarcastically. I do believe one day he will be our manager though, all good things come to an end at every football club and it’ll be the same for Petrie and Montrose. Whenever that happens, whether it’s next year or 3 years down the line he would be an ideal candidate for Gayfield. 

All tongue and cheek now but realistically you guys thought as soon as DC was out the door SP would be straight in at Gayfield?

11 minutes ago, mo83 said:

All tongue and cheek now but realistically you guys thought as soon as DC was out the door SP would be straight in at Gayfield?

You are very insecure over this SP thing. He was a candidate - he was ruled out because he ruled himself out. We are obviously not in the position to just come and get him right now?

But his bubble will burst there, so will Montrose’s. 

Dicks bubble bursting at Forfar was the start of our success, same things happened here and he will be away doing well at EF for a period. Its football

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

People who think clubs can’t afford to sack managers have very little understanding on how contracts work. I’d imagine every manager in the league will have some sort of break clause that means clubs can part ways without paying up the rest of their contract. Given the position Arbroath were in when McIntyre was appointed you’d guess relegation will allow for a parting of the ways without any fee being due. 

Why on earth would an employee accept a legal maximum compensation payment that only benefits their boss - who can keep them tied to the club for the full length of the contract with no such reciprocal clause? 

Back in the land of reality, when it's obviously TTG the club board/chief executive/chairman/Walter Mitty sits in a room with the manager or their agent and works out a suitable deal for both parties. The employers don't have a magical break clause unless they've hired a desperate moron as their manager in the first place. 

4 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You are very insecure over this SP thing. He was a candidate - he was ruled out because he ruled himself out. We are obviously not in the position to just come and get him right now?

Dicks bubble bursting at Forfar was the start of our success, same things happened here and he will be away doing well at EF for a period. Its football

The lack of self-awareness in this bubble-burst homily right now is breathtaking. 

7 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Insecure..... 😂

No to be honest it's just for many a year we were told he would be Gayfield bound as soon as DC was out the door.Just find it rather amusing to be honest,I've said before he might end up at Gayfield some point in his career.But it won't be any time soon.

20 minutes ago, mo83 said:

I don't think anyone ever thought that?  He seems pretty settled at Montrose, and personally, I'd have loved it if we had been able to hire him, but I don't think anyone actually thought it would be as simple as that.  It would be nice if we made a push for him in the summer, but he's highly unlikely to make a move to a rival club in the same league.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why on earth would an employee accept a legal maximum compensation payment that only benefits their boss - who can keep them tied to the club for the full length of the contract with no such reciprocal clause? 

Back in the land of reality, when it's obviously TTG the club board/chief executive/chairman/Walter Mitty sits in a room with the manager or their agent and works out a suitable deal for both parties. The employers don't have a magical break clause unless they've hired a desperate moron as their manager in the first place. 

Well done, you just described Jim McIntyre. 

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

The lack of self-awareness in this bubble-burst homily right now is breathtaking. 

It’s not though, ours well and truly has and it happened a long time ago 

1 hour ago, relichtie said:

Having read the posts on here ,I can find virtually no support for JMac. If this is the same for those fans who don't post here, then the board needs to take note or it could backfire financially in season ticket sales for next season. The diehards will always buy one but we have gained a lot who do because of the success we have had recently. We are going to be hit financially anyway with vastly reduced away support, Alloa, Stenny etc will bring low hundreds if even that compared to DUFC and Dunfermline, Raith who turned up in their thousands. On the youth side of things, one thing noticeable watching other clubs is the age of some of their players, 18- 20 odds while our squad seems filled with 27-30+ year olds. A decent youth system can pay off, Hamilton brought through, McCarthy and MacArthur a few years back and both went south for big fees and became international for their countries. Definitely worth revisiting imo.

Over the years Airdrie have had a few notable successes with youth:- Tony Watt to Celtic, Gary Mackay Steven to Dundee Utd (got him from Liverpool reserves) and just before this season Justin Devenny to Crystal Palace ("six figures"). The average age on the park last night was 21/22. 

Re crowds apart from a sizeable (?) number from Montrose (twice) only QOS might touch the 200-250, the rest you'll be doing well if 100-150 visit. 

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Well done, you just described Jim McIntyre. 

Well no, I very much doubt that Jim McIntyre has voluntarily - and automatically - left money on the table after his parade of dismissals by other clubs. 

Edited by vikingTON

11 minutes ago, mo83 said:

I think a lot of people (myself included) at the time of DC's departure thought that Petrie had a good thing going at Links Park and therefore the incentive wasn't there.

In an ideal world, Campbell would have stepped up down as manager in 2022 (he had taken us as far as anyone feasibly could) and we could have made an appointment from a position of strength and could have looked for someone with a view to long-term. Petrie would have been the ideal candidate and, at that time, I think he would have jumped at it.

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

Well no, I very much doubt that Jim McIntyre has voluntarily - and automatically - left money on the table after his parade of dismissals by other clubs. 

Unless the money wasn't on the table unless he agreed to such a clause.

However, with recent rumours regarding contracts (such as the Scott Allan wages) I wouldn't be surprised if were on the hook for the whole of his contract (£120k for a 20 month deal ffs)

Edited by Lichtielegend

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

Well yeah it’s those very dismissals that have lowered his stock. He wouldn’t have been inundated with job offers with Arbroath being just as desperate as he was. I’m not saying he’s not going to get paid off. I’m speculating that there may be a release clause that the club can activate should they be relegated. It’ll still involve some sort of payment. 

On 27/02/2024 at 21:32, Ludo*1 said:

You need someone that can inspire folk when the chips are down... you can say it's not McIntyre to blame but he's equally the least inspiring guy in Scottish football. Poisonous figure that will be destroying any feel good figures at the club. 

Arbroath were never as bad to be 5-0 down to QP FFS.

On 27/02/2024 at 21:40, keptie said:

We get that you despise him but do you have to keep coming on here to display your bitterness. Nobody on here is interested in Dundee supporters bitter opinions

On 27/02/2024 at 21:41, Ludo*1 said:

Yes. Yes, I do. It's a multi-club forum so yes, I will continue to point out the obvious that he's a fucking chronic football manager.

And that's without an ounce of bitterness.

Happy Adam Driver GIF by House of Gucci

16 minutes ago, Lichtielegend said:

Unless the money wasn't on the table unless he agreed to such a clause.

Do I really have to point out the utter desperation of the 'logic' behind that claim? I don't think you believe that for one second though. 

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Well yeah it’s those very dismissals that have lowered his stock. He wouldn’t have been inundated with job offers with Arbroath being just as desperate as he was. I’m not saying he’s not going to get paid off. I’m speculating that there may be a release clause that the club can activate should they be relegated. It’ll still involve some sort of payment. 

You're speculating without any actual evidence to date of these release clauses being present and being used to empty similar managers though. 

You can highlight McIntyre's fallen stock but the same argument applies far more to the team he agreed to take over. It's not in any way a defence of McIntyre's performance or his overall ability in management* to say that the job he took on was always likely to result in relegation at the end of this season. So why would he agree to take over a team that wasn't his own halfway through and also agree a break clause on that basis? It's obvious horseshit. 

* The dictionary definition of mediocrity 

45 minutes ago, mo83 said:

Insecure..... 😂

No to be honest it's just for many a year we were told he would be Gayfield bound as soon as DC was out the door.Just find it rather amusing to be honest,I've said before he might end up at Gayfield some point in his career.But it won't be any time soon.

Do u check all other 41 clubs threads on a daily basis or just ours? Petrie has done a good job at montrose but now seems to have stalled out and taken them as far he can. I would like him at arbroath but he’s obviously in his comfort zone at montrose and didn’t fancy a go in the championship.

1 minute ago, afc_36_0 said:

Do u check all other 41 clubs threads on a daily basis or just ours? Petrie has done a good job at montrose but now seems to have stalled out and taken them as far he can. I would like him at arbroath but he’s obviously in his comfort zone at montrose and didn’t fancy a go in the championship.

Is their a problem with me posting? Last I heard it was a football forum 😜