The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Is he doing another season at Lochee?  I was keeping an eye on their results last season, the Midlands league is mental.

I think it did say in the blurb that he's having another season there.

Gavin Reilly interview up on Youtube.  He also said that McIntyre has told them that we intend to play with 2 strikers.  Much as the chairman says we will be playing with two up top, and the manager says we will be playing with two up top.   Lads, we're playing 4-4-2.

7 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Gavin Reilly interview up on Youtube.  He also said that McIntyre has told them that we intend to play with 2 strikers.  Much as the chairman says we will be playing with two up top, and the manager says we will be playing with two up top.   Lads, we're playing 4-4-2.

Just me that sees a ToB resemblance

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Last season the top 2 teams in the league regularly went with 2 forwards. Raith could go with Jack Hamilton with Lewis Vaughan off him and Dundee United could go with Moult and Tony Watt off him. Nobody would say that Tony Watt or Lewis Vaughan were central midfield players. You can still play with 2 forward players on the park and have a more defensive shape without the ball.

If Calum Gallagher likes to drop a bit deeper like he’s stated he does then it might work out pretty well. If all the players on the park are hard working players then at the end of the day it’s 11 v 11.

We regularly played with 2 strikers in L1 and L2 and McKenna has spent most of his time playing just off a frontman in a 4-4-1-1 - I’m not sure why we couldn’t play similarly with Gallagher and Reilly or another.

I think the one thing we should be looking to do if we want to play that way is sign a good defensive minded midfielder. That was one of our biggest weaknesses the last 2 seasons and Dick never addressed that. In Dicks time before however we’ve always had one or two from Mark Whatley and Bryan Hodge way back to wee Chris Hammy and Liam Henderson in more recent times.

I think the idea to go and try score goals and win games is a welcome one after how boring and turgid we’ve been to watch for the last 2 years. 

Of course if it is not working then it can be changed. But we certainly have fit hardworking midfield players who will get up and down the park so I’m sure it’s something we are capable of doing, would just like to see that final jigsaw piece added. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

We need a big b*****d defensive midfielder type - like scott bitsindou from the other season

Or the original big b*****d DM

IMG_1902.jpeg

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

If you're playing a midfield two then arguably you can't really afford to have just one person just standing in the middle breaking up play and doing nothing else. 

We did wth Nicky Low and Chris Hamilton 

You can if the other forward 5 are attacking minded 

Edited by ecto

12 minutes ago, ecto said:

Chris Hamilton was such a miss for us. He did the dirty stuff in the middle of the park. His distribution wasn’t great but he broke everything up 🔝 

5 minutes ago, ecto said:

That was when we played a 5 though.  Remember what happened every single time Dick switched to 4-4-2?  We got overrun.  I'm not saying its impossible, but I'm trying to put myself in Jim's shoes, going by everything that has been said in the various interviews, and to me, the way he seems to be saying he wants to set up is at risk of being totally overrun in midfield if he doesn't have enough versatility there.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

That was when we played a 5 though.  Remember what happened every single time Dick switched to 4-4-2?  We got overrun.  I'm not saying its impossible, but I'm trying to put myself in Jim's shoes, going by everything that has been said in the various interviews, and to me, the way he seems to be saying he wants to set up is at risk of being totally overrun in midfield if he doesn't have enough versatility there.

2 forwards on the pitch and you’re acting like it would be the end of the world it is League 1 in Scotland - if what you says happens then guess what. It can be changed

You are finding a problem with absolutely everything 

Jim McIntyre knows a whole lot more about football than you or me, I am sure he is aware of the potential pros and cons ffs

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Also Michael McKenna has always played off the striker and inbetween the centre of the midfield and the striker. We’ve played a 4-4-1-1 for years. We’ve played 2 centre forwards a million times under Dick in L1 and L2. Would you disagree with that?

Also it is a bit different playing 2 centre forwards against a swashbuckling Full Time Dundee United side who are practically a lower half Prem Team and a fellow Part Time League 1 team - would you not agree? 

Just stop moaning for one day please  

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You are finding a problem with absolutely everything 

Actually, that's you.  I'm the one saying that we don't necessarily need to sign a dedicated defensive midfielder to play McIntyre's system.  So I'm the one arguing that it might not be as much of a problem as others are making out.  Its the literal opposite of a moan, calm yourself.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Actually, that's you.  I'm the one saying that we don't necessarily need to sign a dedicated defensive midfielder to play McIntyre's system.  So I'm the one arguing that it might not be as much of a problem as others are making out.  Its the literal opposite of a moan, calm yourself.

The one thing you took out of the Gavin Reilly interview, which was really good and he sounds like a great player to have at the club - was that there was this big massive problem that we will be playing with 2 forwards on the park. It’s genuinely unbelievable how much you find to moan about

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The one thing you took out of the Gavin Reilly interview, which was really good and he sounds like a great player to have at the club - was that there was this big massive problem that we will be playing with 2 forwards on the park. It’s genuinely unbelievable how much you find to moan about

I don't have a problem with it.  Again, thats others who keep insisting that we won't really play with two up front, despite what our management keep saying.  

Actually, its really annoying.  I've been pretty positive about things as off the pitch, we are doing everything right!  I'm not the one complaining about us playing 4 when other teams are playing 5 across the middle, or about us not having a defensive midfielder, or about us having no goalkeeper.  I've made an effort to be positive, and yet  I've got you launching in on the attack every time I say something that is in no way a "moan".  

Edited by ExiledLichtie

4 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Or the original big b*****d DM

IMG_1902.jpeg

Unironically my favourite ever Arbroath player behind Bobby Linn. Couldn’t play fitba to save his life but watching him poleaxe every striker in League 2 made my weekends as a teenager.