The Arbroath Thread

18 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Are you suggesting any teams who aren’t “flying” shouldn’t be building some hype around a new signing? I understand a more low key announcement for a squad/youth player but any club not bigging up a first team signing is doing it wrong IMO.

Wears a bit thin when you are doing it every time to announce some utter dross from the English 9th division

34 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Tbqh with you I think that’s a pish signing and we should be doing better. Hope the wee guy proves me wrong

Cmon. It’s great we’re signing a 19 year old that the manager thinks has potential. Enough of ageing hacks who never got anywhere. We’re a part time team. It’s going to be generally youth on the way up or experience on the way down. 

Happy to see McAdams sign and challenge for the No.1 spot. Has more experience having played over 100 games between the Championship, League 1 and 2. 

Hemfrey is younger and less experienced but has been exposed to a higher level of training with his time at Stoke and Rotherham.

The signing of Spalding is ok. Young player that is looking to impress but doesnt fill a need in the team we needed. DM, LW or ST. It gives us an extra player though for the League Cup games.

Still plenty of time im this transfer window to go so will probably see 1 or 2 in. More if we move someone on (loan/transfer) and bring in a replacement.

Tbf it’s hard to be excited about I’ve heard nothing about him before so it’s not like he’s pulled up trees previously at youth level or airdrie. As I see he’s a youth prospect or gamble which ever at you look at it. Good luck to him hope he does well

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

McAdams is very good for me. 

Spalding the jury is well and truly out

We need strikers and a winger now 

And don't forget the defensive midfielder you've seemingly spent the entire summer bleating about.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

10 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

And don't forget the defensive midfielder you've seemingly spent the entire summer bleating about.

Too hungover for your pish the day Exiled - don’t think that’ll happen now however 

Also I’ve definitely been unfair on young Spalding. Only seen him for half an hour in a friendly so will reserve my judgement on him and hope he does well. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

I'm completely fine with the signing of Spalding on the basis he's hardly going  to be pulling a huge wage. It probably allows us to run with one extra in the squad, which I think is probably a good thing. Bulks out the squad a wee bit with a lower earner who has potential to progress while not expecting to play every week. I still think we may see one or two leave the club next month - current squad of 18 with loans to come in the forward areas at the moment.

We have over 120 members already signed up for the 2024/25 season including many first time/new members! Have you joined yet? 

Also, details of the bus going to Bonnyrigg in just under 2 weeks will be announced tomorrow 

2 hours ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'm completely fine with the signing of Spalding on the basis he's hardly going  to be pulling a huge wage. It probably allows us to run with one extra in the squad, which I think is probably a good thing. Bulks out the squad a wee bit with a lower earner who has potential to progress while not expecting to play every week. I still think we may see one or two leave the club next month - current squad of 18 with loans to come in the forward areas at the moment.

I agree, sort of a Mark Stowe type figure, right?  We didn't expect him to play much last season, but this season could be a big year for him.

49 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I agree, sort of a Mark Stowe type figure, right?  We didn't expect him to play much last season, but this season could be a big year for him.

I think based on Mark Stowe's performances last year, this year will not be a big year for him at Gayfield, and it would be really underestimating the level of L1 football to think it will be. I'd be very, very happy to be proved wrong :)

Ali Spalding is also 18 years old so an actual young player as opposed to someone in their mid 20s who is very much close to the fully developed player they're going to be. I wouldn't say there is any comparison between the two, in age, in position, in stage of their career and in the level they've played prior to joining us.

Edited by SimonLichtie

4 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I think based on Mark Stowe's performances last year, this year will not be a big year for him at Gayfield, and it would be really underestimating the level of L1 football to think it will be. I'd be very, very happy to be proved wrong :)

I thought he looked perfectly decent for a guy who had made the jump from a lower level, and he had some good moments.  I think he'll be all the better for a year playing and training with better players and playing at a higher level.  Based on what I saw, I'm expecting good things.

31 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Ali Spalding is also 18 years old so an actual young player as opposed to someone in their mid 20s who is very much close to the fully developed player they're going to be. I wouldn't say there is any comparison between the two, in age, in position, in stage of their career and in the level they've played prior to joining us.

That’s been proven already this pre season, no fit striker for the St Johnstone game, played Dow up front on his own, didn’t play Stowe, who had played up front for his previous club

on squad numbers think Walker and Stowe might be gone before the season starts, so that clears squad room

I dont see Stowe being anything other than a bench player.

Unless another player is brought in I believe Dow will be our first choice LW. Not thrilled by that idea myself as he drifts inside far too often and lacks certain attributes to play out wide but supposedly he is our most technically gifted player.

And if Dow is unavailable then I can see others ahead of Stowe for a starting place. 

And on the right I can see Stewart and Murray being the main options.

At 25, Stowe has only 1 season playing higher than the 6th Tier. If he was good enough to play at L1 or L2 I would have expected him to have played a few more seasons at those levels by now.

He may do ok when he plays this season but I dont see him getting an awful amount of game time. And if a better option becomes available I fully expect him to be moved on to make room.

TASC BUS - BONNYRIGG ROSE (27/07/24)

TASC are running a bus to our Lichties Premier Cup group game against Bonnyrigg Rose at New Dundas Park on Saturday the 27th of July. The bus will be leaving Tutties at 11am. TASC members have priority booking until Sunday the 21st of July. After that non members can book seats 

Prices 
Adult Member (18+) - £15 
Junior Member (12-17) - £15
Under 12s - £5

Pop over to our Facebook or Twitter pages to book a seat 

IMG_2373.jpeg