The Arbroath Thread

5 hours ago, Water Tower Wullie said:

It's a good question... but my thinking right now is "not yet".

I'd love to see Hammy and Goldy do well but as I see it it's not without risk...

To take a step back, as someone pointed out (perhaps
@Lichtie78 or @1320Lichtie) it was bewildering that when Dick departed, there appeared to be no succession plan.  There were any number of reasons, particularly over the final year why Dick could have left and the board should be prepared and be in control, rather than reacting hastily.  When McIntyre was in post , it was clear to me from late Jan / early Feb that McIntyre was not going to improve and needed to be shown the door ASAP.  However, the board stuck with McIntyre over summer and into this season.  McIntyre's departure was ultimately forced upon the board - not planned, not prepared for, not in control.  But it's again totally unbelievable that the board haven't had a succession plan for this entirely predictable eventuality.

So, we now have Goldy and Hammy in charge.  But why both of them?  There may be a good reason and perhaps they do work well together.  But right now, they're in the initial, exciting "new toy" phase - there's no real track record to be judged on yet.  But every team goes through a tough period during the season - will the two guys be able to keep working well together?  This is not without risk.

Personally, I know a little about Goldy and would have been happy to have him take the reigns after Dick.  I simply don't know enough about Hammy and I could well be wrong but the cynic in me suggests he wouldn't be doing the job if he wasn't crocked. 

I honestly wish them the absolute best - they're great Lichties and may well be brilliant managers - but my concern is that we've stumbled into this situation rather than having a clear decisive plan. 

For what it’s worth - I heard someone say, potentially on a Terrace podcast Patreon - that if Dick Campbell had to give a name of someone from his squad who would be a future manager he said Hammys name 

I have heard they both seem keen, the way they’ve taken this head on with their approach on and off the park seems to suggest that too. Really tried to make a change to how we play and to the personnel making some big decisions 

8 hours ago, Water Tower Wullie said:

It's a good question... but my thinking right now is "not yet".

I'd love to see Hammy and Goldy do well but as I see it it's not without risk...

To take a step back, as someone pointed out (perhaps
@Lichtie78 or @1320Lichtie) it was bewildering that when Dick departed, there appeared to be no succession plan.  There were any number of reasons, particularly over the final year why Dick could have left and the board should be prepared and be in control, rather than reacting hastily.  When McIntyre was in post , it was clear to me from late Jan / early Feb that McIntyre was not going to improve and needed to be shown the door ASAP.  However, the board stuck with McIntyre over summer and into this season.  McIntyre's departure was ultimately forced upon the board - not planned, not prepared for, not in control.  But it's again totally unbelievable that the board haven't had a succession plan for this entirely predictable eventuality.

So, we now have Goldy and Hammy in charge.  But why both of them?  There may be a good reason and perhaps they do work well together.  But right now, they're in the initial, exciting "new toy" phase - there's no real track record to be judged on yet.  But every team goes through a tough period during the season - will the two guys be able to keep working well together?  This is not without risk.

Personally, I know a little about Goldy and would have been happy to have him take the reigns after Dick.  I simply don't know enough about Hammy and I could well be wrong but the cynic in me suggests he wouldn't be doing the job if he wasn't crocked. 

I honestly wish them the absolute best - they're great Lichties and may well be brilliant managers - but my concern is that we've stumbled into this situation rather than having a clear decisive plan. 

I don’t agree they’re wasn’t a succession plan, Stuart Malcolm was brought in for that reason, am convinced of that, it only didn’t happen because of the abruptness of Dick’s departure

Murray for me would be my choice, but I think he’s waiting on the Dunfermline job

25 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Gold and Hamilton seem to have steadied the ship a bit but we need an experienced manager in, I think the board will be sh1t scared to appoint someone that ends up like McIntyre so they will go with the easy option.

Not sure going with Hammy and Gold would be the easy option? Appointing someone experienced, which is definitely the safe option, would be surely? 

That is also your opinion in fairness. There are calls for Ian Murray, he got his first job at 31 years old. We have played Kelty and Alloa in recent weeks both who appointed a player as their manager and had decent results. Peter Murphy done very well at Annan and is now at QoTs. Everyone knows about Rhys McCabe, similar thing. In League 2 Jordon Brown and Ryan Strachan took over when they were players, both 32 years old right now. 

This is a direction plenty of clubs have gone in, maybe shows that going with experienced guys that have done the circuit like a McIntyre is maybe not the definitive answer.

Darren Young aside, who seems to have plenty of positives I can’t think of any other experienced viable option out there. 

All a manager at this level really needs is to be a guy that players want to play for, a guy that players want to do well for and has good understanding of players in the lower leagues and contacts for signings. Remember a Joel Nouble saying ‘Dick has no tactics he’s just vibes’ - Dick was all of the above and his downfall here was taking his eye off the best part time players and going for the hybrid option. 

If Gold and Hammy want it they should be considered and not just chucked aside because we need experience. Would you really be happier with someone mentioned like McInally over Gold and Hammy just because he’s got experience?

13 hours ago, ecto said:

I don’t agree they’re wasn’t a succession plan, Stuart Malcolm was brought in for that reason, am convinced of that, it only didn’t happen because of the abruptness of Dick’s departure

Can you help me understand this a bit more?  My understanding was that Dick departed and Stuart Malcolm was brought in as a reactionary stop-gap because he had the qualifications that no-one else possessed at the time i.e. the board were forced to react and didn't have a solid plan... but I could be wrong.

11 minutes ago, Water Tower Wullie said:

Can you help me understand this a bit more?  My understanding was that Dick departed and Stuart Malcolm was brought in as a reactionary stop-gap because he had the qualifications that no-one else possessed at the time i.e. the board were forced to react and didn't have a solid plan... but I could be wrong.

He was added to the coaching staff not long before Dick was punted.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not sure going with Hammy and Gold would be the easy option? Appointing someone experienced, which is definitely the safe option, would be surely? 

That is also your opinion in fairness. There are calls for Ian Murray, he got his first job at 31 years old. We have played Kelty and Alloa in recent weeks both who appointed a player as their manager and had decent results. Peter Murphy done very well at Annan and is now at QoTs. Everyone knows about Rhys McCabe, similar thing. In League 2 Jordon Brown and Ryan Strachan took over when they were players, both 32 years old right now. 

This is a direction plenty of clubs have gone in, maybe shows that going with experienced guys that have done the circuit like a McIntyre is maybe not the definitive answer.

Darren Young aside, who seems to have plenty of positives I can’t think of any other experienced viable option out there. 

All a manager at this level really needs is to be a guy that players want to play for, a guy that players want to do well for and has good understanding of players in the lower leagues and contacts for signings. Remember a Joel Nouble saying ‘Dick has no tactics he’s just vibes’ - Dick was all of the above and his downfall here was taking his eye off the best part time players and going for the hybrid option. 

If Gold and Hammy want it they should be considered and not just chucked aside because we need experience. Would you really be happier with someone mentioned like McInally over Gold and Hammy just because he’s got experience?

Great couple of posts - thanks @1320Lichtie

I think the board are hedging their bets just now.  Gold and Hammy aren't going anywhere - and the club aren't spending anything additional on manager wages etc.  If Gold and Hammy succeed - the board will sit back and be chuffed that they've landed on their feet.  If they fail, the board will then react - at which point, someone like Darren Young may appointed be elsewhere or be more expensive.

If it was my decision and the focus was winning the league this year - I would have appointed someone like Darren Young before start of the season, or quickly after McIntyre's departure - every match counts.

However, it seems the team and the fans are behind Gold and Hammy and they've made good signings in a very short period of time.  If Gold and Hammy really do have management ability and want the job - given they're the "cheap" option - I'd be offering them as much mentorship and training as possible to help them be successful - particularly professional advice on how to work well together when the going gets tough!!  As a community club, I'd love to see the team succeed long term and would be all for home grown management even if it meant a few blips.

24 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

He was added to the coaching staff not long before Dick was punted.

Aye, fair point.  I think Dick was a dead man walking by that time - my take was Malcolm was appointed in haste, but perhaps there had been some agreement pre-arranged for such an eventuality.  In any case, there still didn't appear to be a successor to Dick for a good few weeks and it was then a flaming turd that arrived on the doorstep.

Edited by Water Tower Wullie

30 minutes ago, Water Tower Wullie said:

Aye, fair point.  I think Dick was a dead man walking by that time - my take was Malcolm was appointed in haste, but perhaps there had been some agreement pre-arranged for such an eventuality.  In any case, there still didn't appear to be a successor to Dick for a good few weeks and it was then a flaming turd that arrived on the doorstep.

Aye I’d agree with you there. Even if there was a succession plan, and it involved Stuart Malcolm becoming manager, it wasn’t a very good one!

we will keep hammy and gold in charge for continuity and it’s the cheapest option after paying off JM as it cost a pretty penny. 

tbh they’ve improved us but that wasn’t hard. The performances have been miles better than under JM though 

If both the manager and assistant are still part of the playing squad then we are making major savings on a "management team budget" 

Not sure if Jimmy Boyle is still hanging about like a bad smell or if Hammy/Gold want to keep him around.

Significant cost saving it seems, hopefully that is put back into the player budget for any loans/out of contract players.

I would still be looking to choose the best candidate available from those who apply.   If the money rumours are true then it will be Hammy/Gold , it doesn't seem we would have the money to go and get a Stewart Petrie or Michael Tidser.