The Arbroath Thread

Buzzing for the pair of them. 2 great guys who definitely wouldn’t have expected to be managers at this stage of their careers, but will have the full backing of the support to prove they can be able gaffers. Mon the lichties 

They 2 will also obviously be in charge, but I like the fact it’ll probably be more of a group effort now.

Said it when they were interim gaffers but guys like ToB, Stewart and Dow will have a big influence too and help Gold and Hammy out with what they think the team requires on the park.

It is a bit different and not a path I ever expected to see us go down but as I said on here the other day promoting players to management positions is a thing a lot of clubs have done now, not always a duo, only Peterhead I can really think of that’s like that, but it’s a good bet for me and it’ll get everyone in the club fully behind the 2 of them.

Something that’s been massively missed for a couple of years now where there’s been a real disconnect between the fans and the manager from a good 6 month before the end of Dicks tenure right up until the last couple of weeks. 

Is this appointment a risk? Yes… but any other manager would be too. There will be a few of the usual suspects on here making pish remarks all in the hope they can say “I told you so” someday.  f**kem!

There’s work to be done and I think this season could be bumpy - the guys are seasoned pros but rookie managers.   I’m 100% behind the guys, as I think the true fans will be… I hope we all remember this and cut them a break at times. I also hope the club arranges mentorship, management training etc to give the guys and the club the best long term prospects. 

I watched the video with Hammy on YouTube - love his confidence when he catches himself mid sentence and says “we can… no… We know we will get back to the really good times”. 

Confidence and positivity! A welcome change!

Mon the Lichties!

Happened sooner than I thought it would but delighted with this.

Something I particularly like about it, aside from the obvious popularity and improvement on the pitch, is the continuity.

We don’t have a completely new management team coming in, who may not know the players, how the club operates, who would possibly have a completely different football philosophy. These guys are imbedded in the club and know it inside out. Gives them a massive advantage over the traditional approach.

I’m fully expecting a roller coaster ride but initial impressions are very positive and we know, at the very least that they’ll give 100% and will get 100% support in return.

In contrast, the only thing that concerns me is the continuity.  Gold referred in his interview a couple of weeks back to "a culture of losing", which he "was part of" (before anyone gets shirty, its not my quote, its the new co-manager).  That isnt just last season, but also the one before that, and the losing start to this season.  I thought a fresh face would have given us something new and got us out of that rut.

Still, as I said, I'll be backing the team and the new management, they both fit the profile of the sort of ex player that would make a good manager (in my opinion), and Gold in particular has coaching experience through his day job, and has also played all over the pitch.  They are both well embedded in the club too, and performances have definitely improved since they took over!  I wonder if they have bought a Meadowbank house?

I feel that with Gold and Hamilton, they will probably try to use their past experience to bring back certain vibes that made the club successful under the Campbell regime. Along with their own thoughts and principles. I would also imagine it has turned out well for Hammy, that due to his injury, he is now able to give something to the club whilst being unable to play. As for Gold, I hope he still has an active part on the pitch as well as now off it.

3 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

In contrast, the only thing that concerns me is the continuity.  Gold referred in his interview a couple of weeks back to "a culture of losing", which he "was part of" (before anyone gets shirty, its not my quote, its the new co-manager).  That isnt just last season, but also the one before that, and the losing start to this season.  I thought a fresh face would have given us something new and got us out of that rut.

I saw that “losing culture” video and was very pleased he called that out at the outset.  That culture was a facet of McIntyre’s tenure - Gold could see this and was confronting this head on from the start. He acknowledges his part in this as a member of the team (as should all the players  to an extent), but it was ultimately MCIntyres issue to own. 

Gold is saying the culture the team were all part of over the past 12 months isn’t what he’d been used previously at Gayfield and that previous winning culture will be returning   

That’s leadership. 

9 minutes ago, Water Tower Wullie said:

I saw that “losing culture” video and was very pleased he called that out at the outset.  That culture was a facet of McIntyre’s tenure - Gold could see this and was confronting this head on from the start. He acknowledges his part in this as a member of the team (as should all the players  to an extent), but it was ultimately MCIntyres issue to own. 

Gold is saying the culture the team were all part of over the past 12 months isn’t what he’d been used previously at Gayfield and that previous winning culture will be returning   

That’s leadership. 

I completely agree with all of that, except that I would say it went back before McIntyre.  The last year or so of Dick's tenure too.  But aye, I agree with you.  My main reason for wanting McIntyre gone at the end of last season was for precisely that reason.  

Happy with this appointment as 2 Red Lichtie Legends who knows the club inside out.

I am certain the experienced players like TOB, Stewart and Dow were asked their opinion before the news was announced.

Not sure if i read anything about if Jimmy Boyle is being kept or not but i do feel we will require and experienced person on the backroom staff and maybe some new Coach would maybe be a good thing with some new ideas and hopefully the newish Goalkeeping Coach is kept on as he seems to be doing a decent job.

And is it Goldy & Hammy or Hammy & Goldy??

All the best lads and C'Mon the Red Lichties and lets all pull together to get this great club climbing the leagues again 36-0.

8 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Still, as I said, I'll be backing the team and the new management, they both fit the profile of the sort of ex player that would make a good manager (in my opinion), and Gold in particular has coaching experience through his day job, and has also played all over the pitch.  They are both well embedded in the club too, and performances have definitely improved since they took over!  I wonder if they have bought a Meadowbank house?

That’s not what I mean by continuity.

Of course I hope there isn’t continuity of results and performances. What I mean is that Gold and Hamilton know the club inside out and how it ticks. These guys and others like ToB, Stewart and Dow will have been frustrated, angry and upset with how things were going and probably had very clear ideas of how to improve it.

Bring in a new guy/team, like McIntyre for example - do they know the players and staff? Do they understand relationships, playing style, personalities, history, expectations, traditions, weather impact even? Etc etc.

Not saying that a new manager is incapable of integrating, getting up to speed and understanding these things, however having guys in charge that already know the club and personalities etc inside out is one less thing to worry about.

The absolute last thing we needed was someone to come in and look to put his own 'stamp' on the current squad, resulting in a fairly large player turnover in the next few transfer windows. We have the basis of an excellent squad at L1 level, really 'all' that's needed is to get them playing football (which we've seen in the past few weeks) and a couple of additions in the right areas. I'm still confident in my pre-season prediction that we'll be top 4 :)

16 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

The absolute last thing we needed was someone to come in and look to put his own 'stamp' on the current squad, resulting in a fairly large player turnover in the next few transfer windows. We have the basis of an excellent squad at L1 level, really 'all' that's needed is to get them playing football (which we've seen in the past few weeks) and a couple of additions in the right areas. I'm still confident in my pre-season prediction that we'll be top 4 :)

Absolutely Simon, but with McIntyre in charge we were looking at Lg2 not top 4.

Just now, relichtie said:

Absolutely Simon, but with McIntyre in charge we were looking at Lg2 not top 4.

Aye, but we were never, ever going to be keeping McIntyre past the first few months maximum if we weren't in a top 4 position. With that being known, and the squad we've got, it was always going to be a case of us starting well under him, or him being punted and someone else taking charge with an already really good basis of a squad in place.

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH BUS - 14/09/24

There are still seats on the TASC bus leaving Tutties at 10am tomorrow morning for our Lichties game against Queen of the South at Palmerston Park. 

Let’s fill the bus and support the new management team in their first game as permanent managers! Goldy & Hammy are Lichtie legends and deserve our full backing. 

Goldy & Hammy’s Maroon and White Army 🇱🇻

Prices 
Adult Member (18+) - £15 
Junior Member (12-17) - £15
Under 12s - £5
Non Members - £20

To book a seat please visit our Facebook page 

IMG_3346.jpeg

20 minutes ago, permalicht said:

A long bus journey to Dumfries awaits. I am looking forward to goldy and hammys first official game as managers. It won’t be an easy game but I believe the lads can pull together and get a result.

If it’s on our bus today thanks for the support 🇱🇻

Don’t think this news quite sunk in yet it feels surreal that Goldie and Hammy are the gaffers - did not expect this at all but here we are. Looking forward to seeing what happens from here, tough start today down in Dumfries

At a 30th so can’t make it but will hopefully be good updates on socials 

Disappointing but not unexpected. We aren’t suddenly going to start winning tough away league games. It’s likely to take a few games before the improved performances bare fruit I suppose.

A bit worrying to hear about missed sitters though. Time to start Gallagher?