The Arbroath Thread

I know it was already a popular theory with your recruitment last season with the likes of Corfe and Fosu, but this signing surely confirms that Nouble has permanently broken Dick Campbell's brain when it comes to recruitment. He's just going to do this every single season hoping he strikes gold with players who've been punted at Tier 6 or below in England, forgetting that Livingston could make more attractive offers to players than Arbroath can and he was specifically recommended to Martindale, rather than being discovered through offering trials to every clubless jobber they could find.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Wouldn’t throw money at anybody but paying transfer fees and a premium on players wages at the top end of the pitch is surely preferable to what we’ve been doing with all these jobbers. Also we are presumably paying for their accommodation and expenses if they’re moving into the town. These players aren’t coming cheap or am I missing something?

To be fair I doubt we are paying anything towards the accommodation given the flats belong to a board member

This thread has been absolutely full of assumptions and annoyance at things that are presumed to be true because football clubs can't update fans on every single little thing they did and every player a manager speaks too or looks at.

There's already been a player this pre season who has trained and played with both ourselves and Livingston.

We have looked at and made many, many more enquiries for players within Scotland than the 7 we've signed this calendar year.

Every club has a wage budget/ structure in place for multiple reasons, and pissing potential six figure amounts of money on a fee/ wages of a player who hasn't ever proved themself at this level would in my opinion be silly business.

The club going full time would be an absolute disaster, with us losing basically all of our players, all the stability we've built our success on in some sort of wild hope that we could attract players ahead of central belt based full time teams paying similar or better wages. Not just a few of them..... an entire squad of them would be needed. The least attractive full time teams have consistently performed at a level below the best part time team in the country over the past 30 years. That's without even touching on the business case against making such a move...

At present, players signing for Arbroath from outwith the country see the club as a stepping stone, which is completely fine and expected. The hybrid setup people talk of with us having full time Scottish players is not going to happen - players within the country who are good enough to play full time in the Championship will do so at a proper full time club, closer to their home, over ourselves. Hence why we have gone down the route we have.

In terms of how much things 'cost'. We don't know the wage costs..... we don't know the accomodation costs.... we don't know how the wage costs are split. Accomodation may not cost the club anything, or they may get the accomodation at a very good rate. The wages may be split between the football club and the community trust, meaning the wage cost to AFC is actually lower than the majority of our part time players. This could be nonsense and it's costing the club a stack of cash and is really not worthwhile at all. I don't know - almost everyone reading this doesn't know - but there's a lot of assumptions being made based on very few facts currently.

There's plenty to worry about for the season ahead, worries about if the players we have are all good enough, worries about the players we need, worries about where we will sign them from etc. Plenty to worry about without assumping the worst in areas we don't really know much about.

Finally - Kenan Dünnwald-Turan played 25 minutes for Stockport County nearly two years ago.... they basically saw nothing of him so I wouldn't be paying any attention to them :lol:

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

This thread has been absolutely full of assumptions and annoyance at things that are presumed to be true because football clubs can't update fans on every single little thing they did and every player a manager speaks too or looks at.

There's already been a player this pre season who has trained and played with both ourselves and Livingston.

We have looked at and made many, many more enquiries for players within Scotland than the 7 we've signed this calendar year.

Every club has a wage budget/ structure in place for multiple reasons, and pissing potential six figure amounts of money on a fee/ wages of a player who hasn't ever proved themself at this level would in my opinion be silly business.

The club going full time would be an absolute disaster, with us losing basically all of our players, all the stability we've built our success on in some sort of wild hope that we could attract players ahead of central belt based full time teams paying similar or better wages. Not just a few of them..... an entire squad of them would be needed. The least attractive full time teams have consistently performed at a level below the best part time team in the country over the past 30 years. That's without even touching on the business case against making such a move...

At present, players signing for Arbroath from outwith the country see the club as a stepping stone, which is completely fine and expected. The hybrid setup people talk of with us having full time Scottish players is not going to happen - players within the country who are good enough to play full time in the Championship will do so at a proper full time club, closer to their home, over ourselves. Hence why we have gone down the route we have.

In terms of how much things 'cost'. We don't know the wage costs..... we don't know the accomodation costs.... we don't know how the wage costs are split. Accomodation may not cost the club anything, or they may get the accomodation at a very good rate. The wages may be split between the football club and the community trust, meaning the wage cost to AFC is actually lower than the majority of our part time players. This could be nonsense and it's costing the club a stack of cash and is really not worthwhile at all. I don't know - almost everyone reading this doesn't know - but there's a lot of assumptions being made based on very few facts currently.

There's plenty to worry about for the season ahead, worries about if the players we have are all good enough, worries about the players we need, worries about where we will sign them from etc. Plenty to worry about without assumping the worst in areas we don't really know much about.

Finally - Kenan Dünnwald-Turan played 25 minutes for Stockport County nearly two years ago.... they basically saw nothing of him so I wouldn't be paying any attention to them :lol:

Man bun was the player with Livingston - horrendous 

Six figures is a bit mental surely - no part time player would take 100 grand to sign and pay wages to? Wouldn’t be anywhere close?

Full time thing - not just now no chance because we have benefited from so many good part time players being in the squad. We are rapidly losing them and replacing them with guys nowhere near as good. It won’t be long until that strong core of part time players we had are all gone. If we want to keep up then we have to have a serious think about that in the future or start signing better part time players who have a long term future at the club right now. You’d also want to see if we could keep up off the park with the backing and support we’ve had in recent years before committing to anything like that. 

At the end of the day everything costs somebody something and it needs paid for. Players moving up here and us having 3/4 flats regardless of who’s covering costs is still more valuable than signing a player who doesn’t need to do that? There is still an indirect cost to the club 

On last part I got mixed up and thought he played 6 games for Stockport and one for Scunthorpe but it’s the other way about so yeah I don’t know why they’re all piping up 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

53 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Man bun was the player with Livingston - horrendous 

Six figures is a bit mental surely - no part time player would take 100 grand to sign and pay wages to? Wouldn’t be anywhere close?

Full time thing - not just now no chance because we have benefited from so many good part time players being in the squad. We are rapidly losing them and replacing them with guys nowhere near as good. It won’t be long until that strong core of part time players we had are all gone. If we want to keep up then we have to have a serious think about that in the future or start signing better part time players who have a long term future at the club right now. You’d also want to see if we could keep up off the park with the backing and support we’ve had in recent years before committing to anything like that. 

At the end of the day everything costs somebody something and it needs paid for. Players moving up here and us having 3/4 flats regardless of who’s covering costs is still more valuable than signing a player who doesn’t need to do that? 

On last part I got mixed up and thought he played 6 games for Stockport and one for Scunthorpe but it’s the other way about so yeah I don’t know why they’re all piping up 

They’re piping up because it’s the close season and they are bored

Edited by ecto

2 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

I doubt we are paying anything towards the accommodation given the flats belong to a board member

Do you have evidence to back this up ?

I seriously doubt a businessman who has invested into property would be providing flats free of charge - they will expect a return on their investment ( there are also other costs - bank loans, community charge, electric and various overheads for workmen, repairs and maintenance).

If you can provide proof that these flats are provided "free" I will stand corrected, but where did you get your information from ?

4 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Do you have evidence to back this up ?

I seriously doubt a businessman who has invested into property would be providing flats free of charge - they will expect a return on their investment ( there are also other costs - bank loans, community charge, electric and various overheads for workmen, repairs and maintenance).

If you can provide proof that these flats are provided "free" I will stand corrected, but where did you get your information from ?

😂 2 mins I'll get a receipt 

3-5-2 again today… hopefully doesn’t become a thing 

Wee centre mid who was good against Brechin playing and a striker who I believe was playing in national league last year and has been at a couple of good clubs - feels more like an Adarkwa than a Turan so that’s promising 

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

3-5-2 again today… hopefully doesn’t become a thing 

Wee centre mid who was good against Brechin playing and a striker who I believe was playing in national league last year and has been at a couple of good clubs - feels more like an Adarkwa than a Turan so that’s promising 

3-5-2 is a recurring theme in pre season to get minutes in legs I tend to find 

I fucking hate us playing 352 tbh. Yes it gets minutes for boys but we aren’t going to play it during the season so surely playing our strongest shape would suit us better. And new players would get used to our usual shape tactics etc