The Arbroath Thread

Game of 2 halves. Second half with McKenna, Gold and Stewart on and playing 4 at the back made all the difference. We look like we have an attack especially if 39 signs.

Hilson was the Binos best player. Absolutely bullied Allan more than once. 
Steele looks a real find. Very impressive on the overlap and his throw will surely bring us goals.

Some real encouragement today. Announce 39.

1 hour ago, SmokeyJoe said:

Promising on these two trialists I’d happily punt jacobs like waste of a jersey 

Even if we get someone to play in Jacobs position, we don’t need him as a backup, Goldie can do that and be better

2 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Whats the point in trialists from down south? They are all pish are they not!

Fucking hell - get with it man, that was this morning...... now signing up the trialists is a must, and by the middle of next week if they're not signed/ sign for other clubs this thread will have gone from 'f**k sake Dick, get the trialists to f**k' too 'f**k sake Dick, why the f**k didn't get you the trialists signed?' :D 

8 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Fucking hell - get with it man, that was this morning...... now signing up the trialists is a must, and by the middle of next week if they're not signed/ sign for other clubs this thread will have gone from 'f**k sake Dick, get the trialists to f**k' too 'f**k sake Dick, why the f**k didn't get you the trialists signed?' :D 

It’s who we are

My thoughts on today....

Both trialists looked good and in full agreement on signing them - the guy in the middle of the park was also very good against Brechin and Jay Bird looked excellent in the second half. Quite clearly both have impressed as it seems everyone is in agreement that signing either/ both would be a positive. I also think Kenan looks like he will be a much better bet than the majority of strikers we had last season - he looks like he understands the game positionally and there was plenty of positives in how he was looking to link up with the rest of the team.

I really don't understand why Scott Allan gets so much grief. Pre season games in early July are for fitness, trying things out and getting your touch back after a month or so break. One of the only things I take real interest in from these games is the communication between the players and how things are developing in that regard. Quite clearly we're trying to get Scott Allan working in his creative role in the middle of the park with a fresh slate this season, with Allan himself having done a lot of work over the last few months, which was absolutely required. In these games especially there is going to be pretty much constant discussion about what runs are being made and working out how each other play..... I've no idea why someone felt the need to shout abuse at Allan for 'moaning'; it makes no sense to me on any level.

Keaghan Jacobs is quite clearly struggling with the pace of the game, the same as he did throughout last season. He can't help but charge out too people 20/ 30 yards out of the small zone of the park he should constantly be covering and leaving a huge hole in defensive midfield and when he is playing in the zone he simply has to dominate he's losing the ball on the turn and thinking he has more time than he does, ending up with our defensive midfielder putting the defence under more pressure rather than taking pressure off them. I think a move down a level may be best for both the player and the club....

I would take about as much out of today as the Brechin & Montrose games - very little...... who knew the closer we got/ get to playing our starting 11 the better thinks would look? :rolleyes: 

People are fully warranted and have reason to have been worried about the trialists going off what who we have signed after trials last year and what we have seen in the first few matches

The only 1 stand out is the striker in the 2nd half today and the only one out of everyone we have had that really showed something,  midfielder is fine enough but we could probably get better, big striker who has signed didn't show much again, 

If we had guys coming in on trial who’d been playing and doing alright in the National League in England beforehand I’d be absolutely loving it. Sounds like the guy today and the 2 we had at Brechin have been the only 3 good ones out of however many we’ve taken on. The vast majority of them have been painful to watch never mind any use. We’ve signed some of the terrible ones too 

I think we might just get big Bird, seems to be in the same bracket as Adarkwa with where he is in his career. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

11 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I agree with Simon about signing both trialists…….but do they want to sign for us? 

If they are agreeing to travel all the way up here for a trial surely they are interested in signing

2 minutes ago, SmokeyJoe said:

If they are agreeing to travel all the way up here for a trial surely they are interested in signing

I’d certainly hope so. Suppose we don’t know how much they are asking though. As I said, hope both are signed 

6 minutes ago, DUAFC said:

35 was worse than hopeless,  39 excellent. 

Hope we haven't signed the wrong player.

35 is our new signing he wasn’t a trialist - big Turan 

eta - I agree 

Edited by 1320Lichtie