The Arbroath Thread

8 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

I think we are all broadly in agreement with this - between signing a new player and bringing in loans I think this will happen.

Also think a couple of players will get put out on loan.

Just a matter of waiting to hear on whose coming in - I'd rather wait a few weeks to avoid any rush decisions.

Overall I am pleased with the squad, with the exceptions which have been discussed.

Understand that we may have no choice in the matter but the league starts in 8 days. We can’t really be happy to “wait a few weeks” can we? Going into the league campaign in our current situation isn’t a great prospect.

3 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

So people think we generally have a good squad, but we need more players?  Is there going to come a point where people start demanding the management get the best out of the players we have, rather than operating a revolving door of swapping half a squad every window?

People want Scott Allan out, they have decided he is apparently the problem.  Scott Allan is not a bad player.  I would argue that we dont have any "bad" players in the squad.  It is up to the management to get the best out of the good players we have, and on that front, they have been falling woefully short for the last year.  

Maybe look at that, rather than demand yet more squad upheaval?

You are completely missing the point. We need more players because the squad is unbalanced - nobody said Scott Allan was a problem or a bad player. 

How hard is it to understand?

14 minutes ago, Moorie said:

I don’t understand why a team like Arbroath need to have a third kit. Get it’s for a good cause but surely sticking the charity buckets out side the ground would surely get more money in than the the shirts will? 

One of my absolute pet hates in football is teams wearing their away kits at home. 

Jacobs, Allan and Norey all play in the same position and its 3 players you could move on and it wouldn't make us any weaker, we still have plenty cover there and if anyone was being really honest with them self not one of them would make there starting 11 as things stand

Slater, Balde, Mckenna, Gold all start there before them and then you have the option of using Dow and even Scott Stewart there, I just feel they 3 wages and places could of been used elsewhere and balanced the squad out better 

3 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Jacobs, Allan and Norey all play in the same position and its 3 players you could move on and it wouldn't make us any weaker, we still have plenty cover there and if anyone was being really honest with them self not one of them would make there starting 11 as things stand

Slater, Balde, Mckenna, Gold all start there before them and then you have the option of using Dow and even Scott Stewart there, I just feel they 3 wages and places could of been used elsewhere and balanced the squad out better 

And most of us are in agreement that we still need someone who is a proper defensive midfielder in there too. 

Said to @Lichtie78that Jack Milne from Aberdeen on paper looks ideal - 6 foot 4 - highly rated, started in midfield and been moved back into central defence recently. At loan to Kelty from January to seasons end and appeared in Aberdeen first team last season and in this pre season too. 

Someone like the above and a left back (Ngwenya for 6 months loan even) and we’d be looking pretty sound 

Allan best position where Mckenna plays I would say. Not quite sure we need a big defensive midfielder. That position is more about the engine to get about and break things up rather than height.

Except from Henderson who occasionally played there and Bisindou last season we have never really had height in that position under Campbell. 

I think Blade, Gold and even Stewart could be fulfil that role. 

For me the lineup I would play when everyone is fit is

Gaston

Steele, Little, TOB, Hammy (Loan LB) 

Stowe Balde Slater Dow

McKenna

Bird

Allan as replacement for Slater/McKenna

Stewart for Stowe/Dow

Gold for Balde/Slater

Mcintosh for Bird

Norey for Balde/Slater

Turan and Jacobs for emergency cover. 

I actually think other than needing defensive cover the wide area is where we are lacking good options. 

Edited by Hammerafc

1 minute ago, Hammerafc said:

Allan best position where Mckenna plays I would say. Not quite sure we need a big defensive midfielder. That position is more about the engine to get about and break things up rather than height.

Except from Henderson who occasionally played there and Bisindou last season we have never really had height in that position under Campbell. 

I think Blade, Gold and even Stewart could be fulfil that role. 

For me the lineup I would play when everyone is fit is

Gaston

Steele, Little, TOB, Hammy (Loan LB) 

Stowe Balde Slater Dow

McKenna

Bird

Allan as replacement for Slater/McKenna

Stewart for Stowe/Dow

Gold for Balde/Slater

Mcintosh for Bird

Norey for Balde/Slater

Turan and Jacobs for emergency cover. 

I actually think other than needing defensive cover the wide area is where we are lacking good options. 

Kehn what you mean but Balde just chokes to get forward someone would have to have a word with him about sitting.

Gold is adequate too but like McKenna they 2 never stop. Against Dundee Goldie was away chasing everything down and leaving Allan deep all by himself a lot. Balde and Slater definitely the way to go as it stands. I noticed Slater really got stuck in on Tuesday which was good

For as average as big Bitsindou was I think he did help out Tam and Ricky a lot by just staying put and winning balls in the air infront of them. 

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Kehn what you mean but Balde just chokes to get forward someone would have to have a word with him about sitting.

Gold is adequate too but like McKenna they 2 never stop. Against Dundee Goldie was away chasing everything down and leaving Allan deep all by himself a lot. Balde and Slater definitely the way to go as it stands. I noticed Slater really got stuck in on Tuesday which was good

For as average as big Bitsindou was I think he did help out Tam and Ricky a lot by just staying put and winning balls in the air infront of them. 

Yeah can't disagree. There would have to be some discipline involved and it's always good to have someone that can win the ariel battle in there but not sure I could handle another central midfield signing. 

Be handy to get a Henderson/Hamilton like player that can play across the back and in that role. 

Edited by Hammerafc

I actually think we have a very decent squad of players but have my doubts on one or two of them but still think we need to add one or two in specific areas.

I cannot believe with 8 days to go to the start of the season we have not signed a proper left back, it was always going to be be well into the season before Hammy would be back "match" fit plus remember he has not had a proper pre-season so that position to me would have been TOP of my list as well as a striker who can score goals.

So with signing the impressive Steele to me we NEEDED a proper left back PLUS another defensive player who could cover various positions across the back line, i liked Heatherington and believe he could have been a good squad player who could cover various positions and realise at his age he wanted 1st team football hence he chose Alloa over us.  

He could have also played in the big dirty bass# holding midfielder that we need to protect TOB/Ricky so imo we still need someone in there.

I still maintain we should have broke the bank to get in a quality goal scoring striker like Carrick from Stirling Albion, i like the look of Bird and always liked McIntosh but still think we required the "proven" goal scorer signing, OK i would have had Simon Murray as my first choice (hopefully next season).

So in short i would say 85-90% of our squad are good players who can play in the Championship but we still need at least another 3 quality players (left back, big holding midfielder, proven striker) and also another player for cover across the defence. 

I like the look of Steele, Stowe, Slater, Bird, McIntosh and i thought getting Balde and Dow last season improved us so i am not going to say all our signings have been bad but on one or two of them "the jury is still out" on them in my opinion.

There is no doubt for whatever reason roughly about the first Queens Park game at home last season (i think it was a 4-1 defeat) when for some nutty reason Big Luke was played in central midfield before Craigen then within a couple of weeks Craigen/JT/Big Luke/Low were all away for various reason and we have struggled to replace them and get the "full" team harmony again on/off the pitch.

The League has not started yet but apart from winning 2 friendlies (good results as well) away to Stirling Albion and Falkirk we have drew with a Highland League club away from home, and been beaten at home by a lower league club in the other friendly who happened to be our fiercest rivals then in the competitive games drew at home to a Lowland League club smashed away to a SPL club and well beat away from home to a club in the lowest SPFL league which is not good reading.

Also I really hope Rab Douglas is still part of the Management Team as he seems to have not been on the sidelines since the Brechin City game and is it any coincidence we have leaked goals and Gaston/TOB/Ricky have not been at their best?

Anyway Keep The Faith but we as a club need to get this fixed very soon.

Smokies & Wine 36-0. 

10 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I actually think we have a very decent squad of players but have my doubts on one or two of them but still think we need to add one or two in specific areas.

I cannot believe with 8 days to go to the start of the season we have not signed a proper left back, it was always going to be be well into the season before Hammy would be back "match" fit plus remember he has not had a proper pre-season so that position to me would have been TOP of my list as well as a striker who can score goals.

So with signing the impressive Steele to me we NEEDED a proper left back PLUS another defensive player who could cover various positions across the back line, i liked Heatherington and believe he could have been a good squad player who could cover various positions and realise at his age he wanted 1st team football hence he chose Alloa over us.  

He could have also played in the big dirty bass# holding midfielder that we need to protect TOB/Ricky so imo we still need someone in there.

I still maintain we should have broke the bank to get in a quality goal scoring striker like Carrick from Stirling Albion, i like the look of Bird and always liked McIntosh but still think we required the "proven" goal scorer signing, OK i would have had Simon Murray as my first choice (hopefully next season).

So in short i would say 85-90% of our squad are good players who can play in the Championship but we still need at least another 3 quality players (left back, big holding midfielder, proven striker) and also another player for cover across the defence. 

I like the look of Steele, Stowe, Slater, Bird, McIntosh and i thought getting Balde and Dow last season improved us so i am not going to say all our signings have been bad but on one or two of them "the jury is still out" on them in my opinion.

There is no doubt for whatever reason roughly about the first Queens Park game at home last season (i think it was a 4-1 defeat) when for some nutty reason Big Luke was played in central midfield before Craigen then within a couple of weeks Craigen/JT/Big Luke/Low were all away for various reason and we have struggled to replace them and get the "full" team harmony again on/off the pitch.

The League has not started yet but apart from winning 2 friendlies (good results as well) away to Stirling Albion and Falkirk we have drew with a Highland League club away from home, and been beaten at home by a lower league club in the other friendly who happened to be our fiercest rivals then in the competitive games drew at home to a Lowland League club smashed away to a SPL club and well beat away from home to a club in the lowest SPFL league which is not good reading.

Also I really hope Rab Douglas is still part of the Management Team as he seems to have not been on the sidelines since the Brechin City game and is it any coincidence we have leaked goals and Gaston/TOB/Ricky have not been at their best?

Anyway Keep The Faith but we as a club need to get this fixed very soon.

Smokies & Wine 36-0. 

This long winded nonsense (pish)is the final straw for me. Do you honestly think we haven't been trying to sign goalscorers. They don't want to come for various reasons.

Goodbye Arbroath pie n bovril forum.. I can't take anymore.

Is Bird not on 3 goals in 5 games, 2 of them being great finishes 

I’d have him over any other striker that’s part time the now think it could be a real coup for us - McIntosh perfectly good back up for him and McKenna too

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Bird looks a cracking player, and McIntosh is decent at this level. We can all see how poor Turan is unfortunately. 

How anyone can say we didn’t try and sign goalscorer’s is bizarre. As bizarre as something thinking we could sign Simon Murray