The Arbroath Thread

Chuffed to bits with the Hylton signing as he was awesome against Dundee and has superb experience and certainly knows where the goals are, Front 3 of him Bird & McIntosh with their strength and pace will cause any team problems  🇱🇻🤩🔥⚽

Good options on the wings,

Jacobs and Allan move on a a few bit more defensive cover and we will be not a million miles away,

I remember when he signed Scott Stewart played in the middle of the park, I wonder if he would be an option to sit on and give a bit of defensive cover, he is athletic enough to play there and seems to be down the pecking order on the wings, 

Current team setup now. In players ideal positions.

Have left out Jacobs as i suspect he will be moved on.

Have left out Turan just to keep folk happy. But we all know he is here until January.

DM is hopefully a new player as none of the players in that role are suited to a DM role. Some better than others but not as good as the real thing.

Screenshot_20230728-215545_Football Squad Builder.jpg

28 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Have left out Turan just to keep folk happy. But we all know he is here until January.

DM is hopefully a new player as none of the players in that role are suited to a DM role. Some better than others but not as good as the real thing.

17 players on the pitch at once. It's a bold strategy, but it might just work.

47 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Is that 4-4-4-4 or 4-4-6-2?

Hopefully Hylton is straight in on the left and looks a threat. I like Dow but don’t think he’s a winger Nevermind playing on his left foot all the time. 

Going on the set up of the team i would like to see us stick 2 up top or properly go 3 in midfield. This “number 10” role doesn’t work or suit us at all. Nothing against Mikey or Scott Allan etc. I just think with our style of play skips it out completely. Go 2 up and try and give them something to think about or go 3 in Centre midfield to solidify it and cover defence and so the wingers can push up. 

29 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Sheerin would have played 0-0-0-16 in defence and still won 10-9. 

Modern safety-first football is sh*te

In one of the great parallels, I remember us absolutely floundering along for the first part of the season until we got a proper defensive midfielder in to anchor all the madness, and for the life of me I can't remember who that was!  Arbuckle?  Cusick?  I'm sure he ended up a bit of a crock towards the end of his time with us?

ETA, no not those two, they are from a different generation...

Edited again...Chisolm?

Edited by ExiledLichtie

7 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

In one of the great parallels, I remember us absolutely floundering along for the first part of the season until we got a proper defensive midfielder in to anchor all the madness, and for the life of me I can't remember who that was!  Arbuckle?  Cusick?  I'm sure he ended up a bit of a crock towards the end of his time with us?

Not sure who you mean, but both Cusick & Arbuckle left long before Sheerin became manager.