The Arbroath Thread

Well, personally i think any good cup run would bring some much needed positivity and a some buzz to the club. Obviously league is priority but hey ho different opinions.

Edited by keptie

9 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

We made the Semi Finals of the challenge cup under Sheerin and took a healthy crowd down to Dumfries. Lost to a late extra winner for the home side. 

I would fucking love us to win a cup, any cup but the Challenge Cup is one step above the Forfarshire Cup in the list. Yes, of course it would be good to win it but staying in the Championship is massively more important for us.

The Scottish Cup or League Cup is a different matter all together of course.

Edited by Tattie36

Frankly I'm outraged at this disrespect for the Forfarshire Cup!

I'll have you all know our Forfarshire Cup wins were all much superior to any nonsense the Challenge Cup has produced in recent years! ;) The B teams and Welsh/ Irish teams inclusion is absurd..... the day B teams were added this cup fell to below the Urquhart Cup in levels of significance.

I would rank the importance of the cup competitions as follows :rolleyes: 

1 - Scottish Cup

2 - League Cup

3 - Forfarshire Cup

4 - Urquhart Cup

5 - Watters Cup

6 - Challenge Cup

Edited by SimonLichtie

28 minutes ago, keptie said:

Well, personally i think any good cup run would bring some much needed positivity and a some buzz to the club. Obviously league is priority but hey ho different opinons.

Nono, bigger, more miserable fish to fry.  Far better to watch us score 11 goals all season, win 2 home games, throw all the cup games, and have an absolutely miserable time!

Edited to add, I agree that adding the B teams and overseas teams is utter nonsense and has cheapened the cup, but its still a winnable cup!  We're not going to win the league cup or Scottish cup, I don't think we've even had a decent cup run in my lifetime.  Occasionally we get a big draw, and then get put out, but we've never been a cup team, and likely never will.  But we could potentially win the challenge cup!

Edited by ExiledLichtie

7 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'll have you all know our Forfarshire Cup wins were all much superior to any nonsense the Challenge Cup has produced in recent years! ;) The B teams and Welsh/ Irish teams inclusion is absurd..... the day B teams were added this cup fell to below the Urquhart Cup in levels of significance.

1 - Scottish Cup

2 - League Cup

3 - Forfarshire Cup

4 - Urquhart Cup

5 - Watters Cup

6 - Challenge Cup

😆 your argument is compelling.

The inclusion of the Welsh and Northern Irish teams annoys me more than anything.

Why the f**k is Scottish football financially aiding other countries clubs and FAs? We’ve got plenty of our own problems to sort out without spreading our measly funds to clubs that don’t benefit Scottish fitba one iota? I actually think the powers that be would love a Welsh or N Irish team to win it as some kind of weird justification for including them in the first place - utterly bizarre.

Edited by Tattie36

15 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

1 - Scottish Cup

2 - League Cup

3 - Forfarshire Cup

4 - Urquhart Cup

5 - Watters Cup

6 - Challenge Cup

Thank you

I’m with @ecto - not going - not arsed - never would be arsed even if we made it to the final. A pointless tournament in my eyes

If it was for the Championship down to tier 6 or something and opened up to West of Scotland and East of Scotland etc it would have the potential to be good. But these daft foreign teams and worst of all the B teams… utter wad of shite

I have never attended a Challenge Cup in its new format. Never will even if we made the final.

The old cup format was simple. 32 teams in a hat, no seeding or byes  Starting with a North/South split for the first 2 rounds then QF, SF and Final.  Any expansion should have included more if not all HL and LL teams.

The expansion to include the 'Colt' Teams was simply the first step in Cockwombles plan to normalise teams playing against 'Colt' teams. The aim that once they have played a season or 2 and done well, then it would be ok for OF Colt teams to be admitted to the SPFL.

Every January/Febuary since 2017 there is a new story about how there is going to be a vote to have them in L2 for the next season. That clubs want it. But the fans have shown their hatred to the idea and rightly so.

In a classic case of misdirection they included the Irish, Welsh and for a brief period English 5th tier teams. This was so fans would be excited for these games and not focus on the negatives of the 'colt' teams. So that playing them would normalise it all.

Sadly this competition was a wasted opportunity for a national cup competition for the smaller teams to hopefully win. Hijacked by crooks at the top and gimmicks to distract.

45 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

I have never attended a Challenge Cup in its new format. Never will even if we made the final.

The old cup format was simple. 32 teams in a hat, no seeding or byes  Starting with a North/South split for the first 2 rounds then QF, SF and Final.  Any expansion should have included more if not all HL and LL teams.

The expansion to include the 'Colt' Teams was simply the first step in Cockwombles plan to normalise teams playing against 'Colt' teams. The aim that once they have played a season or 2 and done well, then it would be ok for OF Colt teams to be admitted to the SPFL.

Every January/Febuary since 2017 there is a new story about how there is going to be a vote to have them in L2 for the next season. That clubs want it. But the fans have shown their hatred to the idea and rightly so.

In a classic case of misdirection they included the Irish, Welsh and for a brief period English 5th tier teams. This was so fans would be excited for these games and not focus on the negatives of the 'colt' teams. So that playing them would normalise it all.

Sadly this competition was a wasted opportunity for a national cup competition for the smaller teams to hopefully win. Hijacked by crooks at the top and gimmicks to distract.

Absolutely nailed it :)

No left back or defensive midfielder in by the look of it - would have preferred the week off to sort that out and move on to Cappielow - where we have been successful in recent years - instead of having to face probably the 1st and 2nd/3rd best teams in the division the first 3 games of the season. Seems like a bad decision in my book 

Hopefully proved wrong tomorrow 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Surprised some saying they don’t care for the challenge cup? Surely realistically it’s the only trophy that is winnable?

as someone said the B teams in it has diluted the competition some what  

Moving on from the big club arrogance from some of our support, any thoughts on Darren Young at Stirling?  He's taken Stirling from a loan to a lot this year, and he did it with a ropey defence and while playing some good passing exciting football.   Think he'd fancy a new challenge at a bigger club?

Edited by ExiledLichtie