The Arbroath Thread

18 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Any thoughts on Darren Young at Stirling?  He's taken Stirling from a loan to a lot this year, and he did it with a ropey defence and while playing some good passing exciting football.   Think he'd fancy a new challenge at a bigger club?

He would be a better option than Petrie IMO. Young, I assume, sees his future in football management whereas, my understanding is that Petrie has a very good job away from the game. Petrie also seems to have stagnated a little at Montrose, their results are all over the place and some of his signings are very questionable. Imagine the rage if we were playing a 40 year old centre half and Paul Watson? Not saying I wouldn’t be happy with him at Arbroath mind.

It’s very debatable that we are a bigger club than Stirling. Yes, we’ve been more successful in very recent years but it’s not that long ago that Albion were a Championship team, and they always seemed to have the upper hand on us back in the day. Stirling is also bigger than Arbroath and they’re a team definitely on the up whereas we are…. Never mind.

However, he may have aspirations of a full time position or maybe he’s happy trying to take Stirling higher. Having said that I would love to see a young (pun intended) manager like him given a crack here.

Edited by Tattie36

20 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Moving on from the big club arrogance from some of our support, any thoughts on Darren Young at Stirling?  He's taken Stirling from a loan to a lot this year, and he did it with a ropey defence and while playing some good passing exciting football.   Think he'd fancy a new challenge at a bigger club?

How is it big club arrogance to think the challenge cups shite? 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

10 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

He would be a better option than Petrie IMO. Young, I assume, sees his future in football management whereas, my understanding is that Petrie has a very good job away from the game. Petrie also seems to have stagnated a little at Montrose, their results are all over the place and some of his signings are very questionable. Imagine the rage if we were playing a 40 year old centre half and Paul Watson? Not saying I wouldn’t be happy with him at Arbroath mind.

It’s very debatable that we are a bigger club than Stirling. Yes, we’ve been more successful in very recent years but it’s not that long ago that Albion were a Championship team, and they always seemed to have the upper hand on us back in the day. Stirling is also bigger than Arbroath and they’re a team definitely on the up whereas we are…. Never mind.

However, he may have aspirations of a full time position or maybe he’s happy trying to take Stirling higher. Having said that I would love to see a young (pun intended) manager like him given a crack here.

Stirling could be as big as it wants but it’ll always be absolutely hoaching of Old Firm fans. Obviously on the park we are not looking too great right now but the off the stuff park we are in a great place and definitely wouldn’t say we weren’t on the up overall still.

Would also prefer a younger manager if it all goes Pete Tong. Noticed an Aberdeen fan mention that they had been to a Q and A with Neil Simpson and they said they encouraged their loan players not to come to Arbroath as they’d prefer their players to go to teams who play football on the deck…. can’t think they’re the only team who think that way, think Dicks tactics or lack thereof are definitely coming to an end in a modern football sense 

We have so many good technical players but it matters not a f**k

Edited by 1320Lichtie

10 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

I would argue that we were similarly sized club, but we have grown.  Off the pitch, we are light years ahead of them.  They are seriously constrained by having a council owned stadium, and they don't have the facilities that we have.  They recently trumpeted the fact that they were installing hot water (gasp!) in the away stand.  And they don't have our hospitality facilities and the like.  They have the potential to be a massive club, but right now, I'd say we were the bigger club in almost all aspects.

I mind the reaction to Paul Watson when he was with us.  No patience from our fans!  I always really liked him, you could see there was a good football brain in there, and you always could see what he was trying to do.

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Stirling could be as big as it wants but it’ll always be absolutely hoaching of Old Firm fans. Obviously on the park we are not looking too great right now but the off the stuff park we are in a great place and definitely wouldn’t say we weren’t on the up overall still.

Would also prefer a younger manager if it all goes Pete Tong. Noticed an Aberdeen fan mention that they had been to a Q and A with Neil Simpson and they said they encouraged their loan players not to come to Arbroath as they’d prefer their players to go to teams who play football on the deck…., think Dicks tactics or lack thereof are definitely coming to an end. 

Yeah. I have been wondering about the loan thing… well signings in general really and how Dick’s Jurassic tactics fit in with the modern game and how young players have been coached/want to play.

Just look at Hancock - very promising young player that had a few first team game for Aberdeen and was thought of very highly by their fans. Loaned to Arbroath to spend his time being played out of position and watching the ball being launched over his head for 90 minutes. Not exactly a situation to want to expose young talent to.

15 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I would argue that we were similarly sized club, but we have grown.  Off the pitch, we are light years ahead of them.  They are seriously constrained by having a council owned stadium, and they don't have the facilities that we have.  They recently trumpeted the fact that they were installing hot water (gasp!) in the away stand.  And they don't have our hospitality facilities and the like.  They have the potential to be a massive club, but right now, I'd say we were the bigger club in almost all aspects.

I mind the reaction to Paul Watson when he was with us.  No patience from our fans!  I always really liked him, you could see there was a good football brain in there, and you always could see what he was trying to do.

Paul Watson was an extremely limited footballer 

52 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Yeah. I have been wondering about the loan thing… well signings in general really and how Dick’s Jurassic tactics fit in with the modern game and how young players have been coached/want to play.

Just look at Hancock - very promising young player that had a few first team game for Aberdeen and was thought of very highly by their fans. Loaned to Arbroath to spend his time being played out of position and watching the ball being launched over his head for 90 minutes. Not exactly a situation to want to expose young talent to.

Sorry to intrude but out of interest guys, I’ve noticed a few of you saying that you played Hancock out of position last season - would that have been at LB?

10 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

Sorry to intrude but out of interest guys, I’ve noticed a few of you saying that you played Hancock out of position last season - would that have been at LB?

1 minute ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Nope, we were playing him wide on the left wing.  

He played there on occasion but was mostly left back - we signed him to play at left wing though, that was abundantly clear, with the intention of benching Bobby Linn who was by far and away our biggest threat and best attacking player

Last season, fun and games eh 

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He played there on occasion but was mostly left back - we signed him to play at left wing though, that was abundantly clear, with the intention of benching Bobby Linn who was by far and away our biggest threat and best attacking player

Last season, fun and games eh 

Aye, to clarify, when he was playing full back, he was absolutely fine for us, but we signed him and then his first game, decided to play him wide left, where he looked absolutely lost.

18 minutes ago, thediamonddude said:

Magic, thanks for the replies guys. Looks like our plan will be to use him as CB but with the expectation he’ll cover LB as well.

Beats our plan of using a very right footed right winger at left back and other small midfielders as cover for our 3 defenders

13 hours ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Moving on from the big club arrogance from some of our support, any thoughts on Darren Young at Stirling?  He's taken Stirling from a loan to a lot this year, and he did it with a ropey defence and while playing some good passing exciting football.   Think he'd fancy a new challenge at a bigger club?

He’s involved in the property market down in Stirling I believe.  Hopefully next young manager to make a good break in football. I guess depending how high his stock gets the next year or so and if he wants to stay part time to focus on his job will depend if Arbroath would be a serious option?

prefer to see a guy like Young to go to Arbroath than see the usual Angus merry go round of managers 

12 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Would also prefer a younger manager if it all goes Pete Tong. Noticed an Aberdeen fan mention that they had been to a Q and A with Neil Simpson and they said they encouraged their loan players not to come to Arbroath as they’d prefer their players to go to teams who play football on the deck…. can’t think they’re the only team who think that way, think Dicks tactics or lack thereof are definitely coming to an end in a modern football sense 

Could have been me who said about the the Simpson Q&A. 
Didn’t want to send a young lad on loan to see a balls going over his head the whole game.

Pity really as Arbroath would be an ideal location to send a youngster on loan, championship football experience, not far to travel to for midweek evening training and have them back the next day to train at Cormack park.

Surely this has close to be Campbell’s last season? 

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I think todays big - again I don’t know if the result will go our way, I think it will not - however hope to see some positive signs and some kind of a game plan where we look like a team unit 

Agreed, I'm looking for some positive signs and evidence that we are an actual team.

I wouldn't go all out with both our wingers.  One winger, one wide midfielder. I'd like to see Allan given opportunities.

I’m hopeful that the management team have studied last week and will set up to beat it. I feel we need to press the ball a lot more. Get in their faces. I’m sure the QP goalie is only 16 so we need to get shots at him early, rough him up a bit at corners.