The Arbroath Thread

27 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

We have gone with Ricky pumping it up the park from day one. We've not created enough chances so far and we've not retained the ball as much as we need to. The one player we have who is able to do these things featuring for 0 minutes in the league and being punted is not a good look in my opinion...... this entire season is going to be long ball, playing for knock downs and second balls etc and full backs and central defenders launching it.

It's fine to go with those tactics when you don't have the players to do otherwise, but it's frustrating to have the players to do otherwise and make the choice to go long ball shitfest tactics from minute one. It's more frustrating when this is the choice that's made, and the management seem surprised we struggle to create chances.

Thats style of play at a L2 or lower level is fair enough. Goes with the territory of having lower player quality.

But at Championship upwards teams needs to aspire to play better football. A possession and passing game is needed as constant hoofball tactics puts your team on the backfoot most of the time.

I honestly dont think Dick knows how to set a team up the past 16 months with passing football in mind as the club doesnt seem to bring the right players in. And he will revert to what he has done before and just lump it.

Wonder how we will fair over the next 7 games.

47 minutes ago, mo83 said:

That's been an expensive disaster! 

What the hell was the point in signing him in the first place if your are not going to play to his strengths like playing through midfield which we never have since he joined. 

Get the next 2-3 signings right and we will soon start winning games.

Presume Scot Allan never played any league games to avoid any injuries before being transferred - the signing was a waste of both the player's and club's time.

Also expect another player to be moving to another club soon - perhaps to a lower league club.

13 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Get the next 2-3 signings right and we will soon start winning games.

Presume Scot Allan never played any league games to avoid any injuries before being transferred - the signing was a waste of both the player's and club's time.

Also expect another player to be moving to another club soon - perhaps to a lower league club.

Jacobs please

Totally agree with Simon.

I thought when Scott Allan signed that we would start to change the long ball game and play through the midfield more. Sadly that concept seems to be beyond the management's grasp. So we will continue with the same old tactics that may well see us struggle to avoid relegation at the end of the season.

As RaithRover84 said on another thread,  "However…I just don’t see a team in the championship finishing below them. Add in the fact that Dick has a bit of staleness and old school about him that I just don’t think cuts it anymore."

Eta  Who the hell thought Slater was a Championship player?

Edited by SotesBornalichtie

I also agree with Simon.

If this is transfer news is true, I'll be seriously pissed off.  Even if it isn't true, I'm already pissed off.  The management made a big song and dance about how Allan had come back fitter, had a proper pre-season for the first time in years, and then gave him almost 0 minutes.  But aye, lets bomb him out and get some more "grafters" in.  

I'm also so tired of the "the players aren't good enough" nonsense some of our fans have been spouting for the last year.  What's the point in having better players if the management can't use them properly?  What happens when we get to the transfer window bottom of the league, do our fans insist that we just need to punt our squad and make more signings? 

I feel like I've been writing the same posts for nearly a year now.  Its wearying.

On 05/12/2022 at 19:24, ExiledLichtie said:

Agreed, we keep hearing this mantra that Dick needs new players, and that the current players aren't good enough.  Scott Allan is more than good enough to play for us.  If we aren't getting the best out of him, that's on the manager.

Did a quick search, this was early last December.  We've had 2 transfer windows since then.  Sigh.

Sadly not too fussed about Allan leaving as he was never going to fit in with Dick’s tactics… or lack of. A real shame though as I would have loved to have seen what he could bring with a more passing and adventurous style of play.

Don’t want to sound too negative and we know football can change very quickly. However it’s all a bit of a mess isn’t it really? Let’s be brutally honest here. I keep hearing that we have a great squad, I’ve even tried to convince myself that, but what evidence is there of this? We had a terrible pre-season and League Cup, and an awful start to the league season, arguably worse than last season. A lot of the positive talk just sounds like wishful thinking and finger crossing.

Our squad is threadbare, imbalanced and lacking quality… or lacking players in some positions altogether.

At the moment (if Allan leaves) we have 19 players - 17 functioning as Hamilton is out and we have to assume that McKenna will miss a week or two. Out of those 17, 2 or 3 are patently not good enough for this level. The left back and midfield woes have been talked about plenty already so no need to go over old ground. Other players are underperforming or just can’t fit in with Dick’s style and there’s just a feeling of negativity surrounding the club.

As I said, it’s a mess at the moment but things can change very quickly in football… and they’d bloody well better.

8 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Sadly not too fussed about Allan leaving as he was never going to fit in with Dick’s tactics… or lack of. A real shame though as I would have loved to have seen what he could bring with a more passing and adventurous style of play.

Don’t want to sound too negative and we know football can change very quickly. However it’s all a bit of a mess isn’t it really? Let’s be brutally honest here. I keep hearing that we have a great squad, I’ve even tried to convince myself that, but what evidence is there of this? We had a terrible pre-season and League Cup, and an awful start to the league season, arguably worse than last season. A lot of the positive talk just sounds like wishful thinking and finger crossing.

Our squad is threadbare, imbalanced and lacking quality… or lacking players in some positions altogether.

At the moment (if Allan leaves) we have 19 players - 17 functioning as Hamilton is out and we have to assume that McKenna will miss a week or two. Out of those 17, 2 or 3 are patently not good enough for this level. The left back and midfield woes have been talked about plenty already so no need to go over old ground. Other players are underperforming or just can’t fit in with Dick’s style and there’s just a feeling of negativity surrounding the club.

As I said, it’s a mess at the moment but things can change very quickly in football… and they’d bloody well better.

McKenna might be back on Saturday apparently 

I would take Balde, Gold and McKenna as a midfield 3 over Allan any day of the week and was also happy with the ‘style’ of football we had on Saturday. Much more like an Arbroath team. There was pace down the wings, we got the ball forward and into the box and put QP under pressure.

Their players and management all commented on how they had to dig in and defend well to get a result and that’s how teams coming to Gayfield should be leaving if they want to take anything off us 

Allan a very good player technically but I think the league overall may be too quick and physical for him not just Arbroath 

In short absolutely the correct decision and hopefully we can get players in that can have a better effect 

Would be nice to just have a settled team instead of the tactics and lines ups changing every week, give the guys a chance to gel,

Its all panicked and desperate chopping and changing every week,

The likes of Stowe and Bird can be good players in this league if they are given a run in the team, Stowe has to play, yeh he is raw and sometimes tries to much, but give me that all day long over the hopeless long balls 

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Seems that Allan is joining Larne on loan 

Aye. Season long which will take him to the end of his Arbroath contract. But terms of loan deal may have a no recall clause so Larne cant cut the deal short in January.

Maybe we can recall him once our management team are given the sack?

What is the plan now?  Get rid of anyone else who can play football and resign ourselves to another season of big punt and goalless home games?  Sign another 9 'grafters' in January and see if we can 0-0 our way to safety?  

I'm struggling to recall a time when I felt so negative about things.

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

Would be nice to just have a settled team instead of the tactics and lines ups changing every week, give the guys a chance to gel,

Its all panicked and desperate chopping and changing every week,

The likes of Stowe and Bird can be good players in this league if they are given a run in the team, Stowe has to play, yeh he is raw and sometimes tries to much, but give me that all day long over the hopeless long balls 

Agree we need a settled team, I would start with the same team if mckenna is fit. We were doing ok until the 3 subs and it’s probably about our best 11 at the moment

30 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Maybe we can recall him once our management team are given the sack?

What is the plan now?  Get rid of anyone else who can play football and resign ourselves to another season of big punt and goalless home games?  Sign another 9 'grafters' in January and see if we can 0-0 our way to safety?  

I'm struggling to recall a time when I felt so negative about things.

How the hell are guys like Balde, Slater, McKenna, Gold, Hylton, Stowe and Bird ‘grafters’ only.

You have to be able to do both. Allan could not, yes he’s a better footballer than them but the deficiency in his game means overall the above central midfield and attacking players are better options. 

Thought you found plenty of positives from Saturdays performance? 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

36 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Aye. Season long which will take him to the end of his Arbroath contract. But terms of loan deal may have a no recall clause so Larne cant cut the deal short in January.

I’d hope they are paying every penny of his wages as well 

The Scott Allan saga has been a disappointment and a distraction. I was delighted when he signed but haven’t seen much evidence of his apparent prowess. Nicky Lowe could play more good passes in one game than Allan has in all his time in maroon. It’s definitely time to move on and concentrate on developing the decent playmakers we now have.

No arsed by Allan leaving yes he’s a very technical player but hasn’t worked out for him for many reasons. Has got himself a lot fitter this season but lacks in the more defensive battling side of it. He’s a number 10 player and McKenna always going to play there due to his work rate. Hopefully few up his wages and get a few more bodies in the door. 

for me the midfield 3 should be for now balde gold McKenna being the advanced one. Dow to play instead of McKenna if out. Stowe hylton wide and mcintosh up top