The Arbroath Thread

Just now, Monkfish85 said:

3 points from next 2 games to equal 21/22 first quarter . 
This team look just as good to me with arguably more quality attacking options. 
Priorities -

Hylton new deal 

Scott Stewart new deal 

McKenna new deal

Only 2 wins off our entire amount of league games won last year - when do we get to cash in our 9 Morton points? Someone get them on the phone because if we could do that now we’d be over half way to safety. 

I can’t see Stewart going anywhere he’s well on his way to a testimonial here and with him being a teacher he’s not going to go full time - what a player. McKenna won’t be going anywhere either but agree about getting him a new deal to outline how important he is to us. 

Hylton is a funny one, he’s at the age to go part time and has mentioned he left football for a year to be with his newborn child - a really good part time contract would surely be very appealing to him at 30 years old so he could transition into the next stage of his career and life. 

Im not sure about the comparisons to the 21/22 season - I think overall we are better but Nouble was the best player in the league by a million miles with nobody even close. Reckon he dragged us up to a level that had us competing at the top of the table.

We are on a good run and should enjoy it but I won’t be getting too carried away right now. I just want some more points on the table so we get closer to our goal of staying in the division. After that we can look up the way 

These are Arbroath's stats for the last few season. Obviously it's still very early in this season and we still haven't played everyone even once.
I don't get to watch our games so won't comment, except to say that getting the ball up the park and holding it there should lead to more goals.

I think we're gonna need 50 points this season to stay up.  There isn't an obvious diddy team in the league, Morton and ICT have had poor starts, but I think they will come good, and both the promoted teams look decent.  I could see a situation where survival could come down to the last day between half the league.

12 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I think we're gonna need 50 points this season to stay up.  There isn't an obvious diddy team in the league, Morton and ICT have had poor starts, but I think they will come good, and both the promoted teams look decent.  I could see a situation where survival could come down to the last day between half the league.

Is that even possible? I’m not sure it is, that would mean the league winner would also be at about 50 odd points then too surely? 

It’ll be the usual 40-42 points for safety and possibly fewer imo.

Last season was an unusually low points total for 8th due to Cove, Accies… and us, being really crap. I agree that the bottom teams this season won’t be as poor but over 40 should easily be enough to stay up.

50 points will be comfortably mid table and a team on those points will likely be still in the playoff hunt until late in the season.

50 points to stay up in a 10 team league? surely not. There will always be 1 or 2 teams who really struggle. Get to 38-40 points as quickly as we can then see where that takes us.  I like the look of the next two games, inverness/dunfermline, 4 points would be good.

Also, hopefully we can have a scottish cup run this year and keep going in the diddy/jobbies cup

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Is that even possible? I’m not sure it is, that would mean the league winner would also be at about 50 odd points then too surely? 

To me, it seems that every team can beat every team (not you Dundee United) on their day.  So aye, outside of the league winners, there could be very little between 2nd and 10th.  40 points might be enough to be safe, but I can imagine it going down to a last day decider.  

16 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

To me, it seems that every team can beat every team (not you Dundee United) on their day.  So aye, outside of the league winners, there could be very little between 2nd and 10th.  40 points might be enough to be safe, but I can imagine it going down to a last day decider.  

I agree there isn’t much between teams on their day but feels far fetched thinking we’d need 50 points to be sure of survival - if teams in 9th and 10th have 45 points plus then the team at the top won’t have very much at all either there is only a certain amount of points to go around 

11 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

Tattie was a regular poster when the team were on a poor run. Doesn’t post as much now, strange considering he calls himself a supporter 

Nah. I made a conscious decision a few weeks ago (actually pre-season) to try and post less as I was very aware of coming across as pretty negative. Not something that I want to be known as, I was just worn down and scunnered with last season and the start of this. Absolutely delighted with the turnaround.

As I said in a post yesterday I hold my hands up to it and also stated that, traditionally I’ve been a very positive and realistic supporter. I’ve had to be as someone that’s been going to Gayfield since the late 70s with the vast majority of those years travelling from Aberdeen. Don’t think you can question my, or anyone else’s credentials.

44 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Nah. I made a conscious decision a few weeks ago (actually pre-season) to try and post less as I was very aware of coming across as pretty negative. Not something that I want to be known as, I was just worn down and scunnered with last season and the start of this. Absolutely delighted with the turnaround.

As I said in a post yesterday I hold my hands up to it and also stated that, traditionally I’ve been a very positive and realistic supporter. I’ve had to be as someone that’s been going to Gayfield since the late 70s with the vast majority of those years travelling from Aberdeen. Don’t think you can question my, or anyone else’s credentials.

I noticed that and hope it wasn’t anything to do with me I remember being particularly annoyed after the pre season friendly against Brechin and the testimonial match v Montrose. 

Think that’s the way of the football fan in fairness the whole threads been a lot quieter now everyone is back to being happy with how things are going. There is nothing to rant about or any built up frustration. 

Now if we could just announce an extended deal for Hylton… 

Talent is definitely worth waiting for and the summer signings have proved that - they have been outstanding.

We have a top notch squad - we can rotate forwards, midfield and even have a strong defence with key players missing.

The management needed time for the players to gel - it's now all clicked into place.

There will be defeats and ups and downs along the way - but no reason why we should not have a very successful season.

These players are winners, they don't like losing and they will have ambitions to repeat the success of 2 years ago.

Still early days, but we have seen enough to know we have a squad full of quality players.

2 seasons ago we lost a key player in January - if we can keep this squad for the whole season we have a real chance of making things happen.

Lets not get carried away, but things are looking very good.

2 hours ago, Monkfish85 said:

Tattie was a regular poster when the team were on a poor run. Doesn’t post as much now, strange considering he calls himself a supporter 

There’s a few gone missing the last few weeks, one in particular but he/she will crawl back out as soon as we lose a game 

On 24/09/2023 at 11:29, Tattie36 said:

I’ll hold my hands up as one of those doom and gloom merchants.

Nothing wrong with putting your hand up and admitting you called it wrong - your posts were very harsh, but we all get it wrong from time to time - including myself.

Still early in the season with more twists and turns along the way - but looking like this is going to be a good season.

I hope you now agree that talent is worth waiting for !

11 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

Nothing wrong with putting your hand up and admitting you called it wrong - your posts were very harsh, but we all get it wrong from time to time - including myself.

Still early in the season with more twists and turns along the way - but looking like this is going to be a good season.

I hope you now agree that talent is worth waiting for !

You don't get to claim the moral high ground either, your wild takes last season were miles off! 😂