The Arbroath Thread

Hylton signing an extended contract should be top of the list of priorities for the board and management. At least an extra two and a half years.

Noticed there's a number out of contract in the summer. Need to be tying a few of them down too, although I'd suspect a few will be quite happy to extend their stay at the club anyway.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If the pen doesn’t come out today - that is us until January

Obviously things are going well at the moment but I think we’re still light on numbers so I’d still like to see a signing or two.

Cant see it mind. Just hope injuries and suspensions don’t bite us in the @rse.

Personally I would like another player or two, however the fact that we have a full squad of signed players and 0 loans is brilliant imo.

Ok some of the players are on short term deals but not relying on the uncertainty of loans is great.

Just need to get a few of those short term contact guys signed up on longer term contracts.

2 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Personally I would like another player or two, however the fact that we have a full squad of signed players and 0 loans is brilliant imo.

Ok some of the players are on short term deals but not relying on the uncertainty of loans is great.

Just need to get a few of those short term contact guys signed up on longer term contracts.

I think the management team thought they would pick up a few good loans last season like we had always done in the past but the change to the size of the bench and 5 subs has had a massive impact on availability of players. 

Moving away from loans has been a wise move although it's always worth pursuing if an opportunity arises.

You’ve played Partick off the park last week so why on Earth change the team. 
It’s no secret that Ricky has been off it this season. Against Airdire and Partick Steele looked a better option at CB and Norey was very solid at RB. Campbell’s lack of ability to adapt the team costs us all the time. We also played great football last week but never seem to do it at home and instead just aimlessly lump it. Very frustrating as we had so much good momentum killed today by silly mistakes 

3 minutes ago, Fitbafan36 said:

You’ve played Partick off the park last week so why on Earth change the team. 
It’s no secret that Ricky has been off it this season. Against Airdire and Partick Steele looked a better option at CB and Norey was very solid at RB. Campbell’s lack of ability to adapt the team costs us all the time. We also played great football last week but never seem to do it at home and instead just aimlessly lump it. Very frustrating as we had so much good momentum killed today by silly mistakes 

I don’t blame them for changing the starting XI. It’s our strongest team. Taking Bird and Hylton off was criminal tho 

33 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I don’t blame them for changing the starting XI. It’s our strongest team. Taking Bird and Hylton off was criminal tho 

Can see arguments either way team wise but the centre back issue is a big one. Bird for McIntosh I get because they’re similar but taking Hylton (the one guy who could actually get the ball to stick) off at 2-3 was hysterical. 

Personally I would have left the defence unchanged today. We arguably improved at the back when Little went off v Airdrie and keeping Partick to 0 at home is no mean feat. So why change it?

I know it’s like admitting to shagging your best mate’s granny on here but I think Ricky has been poor for sometime. Also the lack of competition at CB has allowed home to underperform without threat of losing his place. He should have had to play his way back in imo.

15 hours ago, ellichtie said:

Having seen a bit of Steele now I think it’s obvious he’s never a right-back. Hopeless going forward.

Utterly disagree -  can’t believe you were watching the same game. Such a great signing defensive and attacking and young. A decent overdue replacement for JT.

Against ICT, we were uncharacteristically slack with the defending. But also, while so lively and promising in attack, far too many final balls in were poor, undoing the good approach work.  First half too, our midfield seemed to allow ICT a bit too much space.

ICT had to come good at some stage and we almost managed to come back for the draw so not as discouraging as many previous home defeats

5 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

Utterly disagree -  can’t believe you were watching the same game. Such a great signing defensive and attacking and young. A decent overdue replacement for JT.

Against ICT, we were uncharacteristically slack with the defending. But also, while so lively and promising in attack, far too many final balls in were poor, undoing the good approach work.  First half too, our midfield seemed to allow ICT a bit too much space.

ICT had to come good at some stage and we almost managed to come back for the draw so not as discouraging as many previous home defeats

There was one lad behind me at the game who actually said “that Steele has been a shite signing”

Our support are so toxic 

I'm glad we've got our by now traditional Invernessing out the way.  I said on the other thread that I don't think we should read too much into the game, and I stick by that.

Their first goal was a stramash in the box, their third was a cracking finish and comes from stretching the game when we're 3 down and desperate to get back in the game.  They deserved to win, but I don't think we were terrible or that the management got it wrong.  Just one of those days.  Even at that, we fought back from 3 down and nearly came back.  Our heads never went down, which was great to see.  So no, I'm not reading too much into the game.

On Steele, he's like Stewart, I don't think he's a natural right back, but he can play it just fine.  It probably balances things out that we have a right back who is actually a centre back, and a left back who is actually a winger.  His long term position is beside ToB.  I got absolutely shamed on here for daring to suggest last season that a certain centre back had lost some pace and was making more mistakes as a result, and that we should consider playing him less often, so I won't repeat that.

Although I wanted to see Bird start, there is an argument that we lost out by not having Turan up front yesterday.  I thought we missed our big battering ram, whereas Bird seemed to drop deeper, rather than staying up as the last man.  I think it could be better to have him come on against tiring defences like he's done in the last few games. Thoughts? 

Edited by ExiledLichtie

Steele has been a great signing, yeh his final ball needs working on but he is has done really well, 

Looking back Gold and Little were both at fault for mistakes, very unlike them, it's been said already that maybe the defense should of been left alone from the previous week,

I though the subs were wrong yesterday, I wouldn't of took off Hylton, and Stowe coming on after weeks off not having any minutes lately didn't work, I really like Balde but yesterday he was just so erratic and 1000mph.