The Arbroath Thread

The club has gone into absolute overdrive since the season ended.  Season ticket announcements, early friendlies, play on the pitch, open training session, shiny new signings, interviews with the manager, brand new training gear, apparently new kits and a new sponsor.  An absolute barrage of stuff to try and get us back onside.  

And its working too.  I can already feel my enthusiasm growing and my resolve to boycott weakening! 😂

7 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Interview with the manager 

Hate to say it but now that I’ve not had to watch the team play or watch him on the sidelines for a couple of weeks I’m starting to have a bit more time for him and he conducts himself pretty well in his interviews. To be fair to him he does sound like he has a clear plan in place too.

Just now, ExiledLichtie said:

The club has gone into absolute overdrive since the season ended.  Season ticket announcements, early friendlies, play on the pitch, open training session, shiny new signings, interviews with the manager, brand new training gear, apparently new kits and a new sponsor.  An absolute barrage of stuff to try and get us back onside.  

And its working too.  I can already feel my enthusiasm growing and my resolve to boycott weakening! 😂

Aye.

Obviously be better than doing f**k all. 

But good to see you’re maybe starting to look forward to it and a bit of optimism coming out… 

Watching that McIntyre interview and I really feel for the guy. Can tell he’s dying to do well and has plans in place, absolutely did not need to go and get Tom Ritchie in and could’ve kept things the same but he’s obviously trying to think outside the box and trying to help improve the club.

Good squad of players signed in football terms and it seems as people so a good base to build from, In my opinion if ToB and Hammy are fit then we’re in much better shape than we were at this time last year or the year before and we’re going into a division down

Fingers crossed 

I’m happy to admit that McIntyre isn’t the man for me and I wanted him out but he’s here now and will be going forward so there really is no point in continuing to try and have digs at the guy. He spoke really well at the Q&A and comes across well in that interview. I REALLY want him to do well, but I just don’t see it. If he can prove me wrong then il be the happiest Lichtie on the planet 

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I’m happy to admit that McIntyre isn’t the man for me and I wanted him out but he’s here now and will be going forward so there really is no point in continuing to try and have digs at the guy. He spoke really well at the Q&A and comes across well in that interview. I REALLY want him to do well, but I just don’t see it. If he can prove me wrong then il be the happiest Lichtie on the planet 

Im mostly the same.   I don't have any personal dislike for the guy, I'd wish him well wherever he goes next, and I much prefer his interviews to those of our previous manager, which I mainly skipped.  I'm not even that bothered that we were relegated.  My views are known, so I won't repeat them, but the club seems to be going all out to bribe us all with the promise of the shiny shiny new season and all the shiny new signings and shiny new things....and while I mocked people for this a few weeks ago, I can really feel it working on me.  

I still think it'll be a disaster.  But if its not, I'll be absolutely delighted!

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Im mostly the same.   I don't have any personal dislike for the guy, I'd wish him well wherever he goes next, and I much prefer his interviews to those of our previous manager, which I mainly skipped.  I'm not even that bothered that we were relegated.  My views are known, so I won't repeat them, but the club seems to be going all out to bribe us all with the promise of the shiny shiny new season and all the shiny new signings and shiny new things....and while I mocked people for this a few weeks ago, I can really feel it working on me.  

I still think it'll be a disaster.  But if its not, I'll be absolutely delighted!

I don’t understand what you mean by bribing fans with shiny things? Seems a really strange mentality to have 

Signing good players and trying to do and put things on for the fans is not to bribe anybody, there is no ulterior motive here, the club are simply trying to do their best to keep the support happy and improve the football team - which is all a fan can ask of its football club - these are good things 

This whole bribing us with shiny things… like what does that even mean?

46 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I don’t understand what you mean by bribing fans with shiny things? Seems a really strange mentality to have 

Signing good players and trying to do and put things on for the fans is not to bribe anybody, there is no ulterior motive here, the club are simply trying to do their best to keep the support happy and improve the football team - which is all a fan can ask of its football club - these are good things 

He cant help himself from putting a negative spin on good things. Yet more of his boring shite 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Its not that difficult a concept to grasp.  Imagine the situation, you've forgotten to take the bins out again, and that's three weeks in a row you've forgotten, the bins are all full and your wife is furious*.  What do you do?  You make an extra special effort, get flowers, chocolate, new signings, because you want to make it up to her, and also earn some forgiveness.  And I feel that's what the club are doing to us this summer....successfully!  Its not a negative take, its not a complicated concept, but does it not feel like the club are making an extra special effort?  Not a criticism btw.

*Analogy may or may not be based on a true story.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Its not that difficult a concept to grasp.  Imagine the situation, you've forgotten to take the bins out again, and that's three weeks in a row you've forgotten, the bins are all full and your wife is furious*.  What do you do?  You make an extra special effort, get flowers, chocolate, new signings, because you want to make it up to her, and also earn some forgiveness.  And I feel that's what the club are doing to us this summer....successfully!  Its not a negative take, its not a complicated concept, but does it not feel like the club are making an extra special effort?  Not a criticism btw.

It’s not a bribe though and it’s still not a good analogy.

Arbroath as a club have never not tried to sign good players or do good things for the fans - this same efforts been made the last 2 seasons too, just because it’s not gone right on the pitch and you don’t like the manager doesn’t make anything different this year.

It’s like you have this attitude that Arbroath owe you something because they’ve not got rid of McIntyre, that’s probably why you feel like they’re attempting to bribe you or whatever. That is just not the case. 

For years and years now we’ve improved off the park steadily each season and the clubs made small improvements in many regards, for the fans benefit…

This is not anything new and they are certainly not trying to bribe the support into coming onside. They shouldn’t need to do that either because let’s face it we have been absolutely spoilt rotten as a fanbase and it’s really showed the last couple of months. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Jesus christ.  It was a compliment.  I was complimenting the club on their improved social media and the communications uptick in recent weeks.  It was a lighthearted compliment.  Maybe you're overthinking this?

52 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

You just cant help yourself can you.digging your own grave GIF

18 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Jesus christ.  It was a compliment.  I was complimenting the club on their improved social media and the communications uptick in recent weeks.  It was a lighthearted compliment.  Maybe you're overthinking this?

I don’t think I’m over thinking this at all I genuinely find the fact that you think the club are trying to bribe the support (by trying to sign good players and attempting to do good things for the fans… like what? Where have you been the last 8 year) absolutely mental.  

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I don’t think I’m over thinking this at all I genuinely find the fact that you think the club are trying to bribe the support (by trying to sign good players and attempting to do good things for the fans… like what? Where have you been the last 8 year) absolutely mental.  

25 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Do you know what "bribe" means?  If the club were offering us envelopes stuffed with £200 quid, that would be a bribe.  Its clearly not something I "genuinely" think is happening.  Its clearly and obviously a light hearted comment not to be taken seriously.   There were people on here slating the club's social media output month after month, criticising the social media, their focus on birthdays, poorly edited highlights, silence from the club over things, poor twitter match coverage, the broken website, but in the last few weeks, things have been much much better.  It was a compliment.

Maybe you need to stop desperately looking for negativity where there is none?

6 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

It was announced at the Q&A that we have signed the biggest sponsorship deal in the clubs history. It wasn’t said if it was a shirt sponsor or not 

Wonder if it’s Ace forwarding? Rumor he’s fallen out at cove/ no longer sponsoring them. Won’t be allowed back at Pittodrie after a previous outburst. Of course could be getting 2+2=75 here

6 hours ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

Hate to say it but now that I’ve not had to watch the team play or watch him on the sidelines for a couple of weeks I’m starting to have a bit more time for him and he conducts himself pretty well in his interviews. To be fair to him he does sound like he has a clear plan in place too.

Was at a few the games he was in charge at at cove although wasn’t impressed with the appointment still think he was served a raw deal in the end due to Hartley being available again and was hanging around prior to the sacking and with his family contacts.

36 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Do you know what "bribe" means?  If the club were offering us envelopes stuffed with £200 quid, that would be a bribe.  Its clearly not something I "genuinely" think is happening.  Its clearly and obviously a light hearted comment not to be taken seriously.   There were people on here slating the club's social media output month after month, criticising the social media, their focus on birthdays, poorly edited highlights, silence from the club over things, poor twitter match coverage, the broken website, but in the last few weeks, things have been much much better.  It was a compliment.

Maybe you need to stop desperately looking for negativity where there is none?

I don’t need an explanation, it’s as clear as day what you mean and it comes across pretty poorly 

You’ve been on about fans being duped or conned by the club by ‘shiny’ this or that for a while too because they’ve simply been impressed by a signing or happy at something and they’ve not been seething at McIntyre still being here like you have the whole time, it’s not just today you’ve said it

If you cannot see how it comes across then that’s not my fault 

Will leave it at that cause I don’t want to derail this thread 

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Be easier just to take the bin out. 

Not sure it's really relevant though as clubs will always try and sign the best players possible every season and announce them etc.

Not like they are only signing players to keep the fans happy. It's literally the biggest thing that happens between seasons every year.

If you think the signings are shiny then surely that means you are happy with the players being announced?

53 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

If you think the signings are shiny then surely that means you are happy with the players being announced?

Delighted!  We've added some quality strikers by the looks of things, and only really lost McKenna and Gaston.

Am I really the only person who thinks there's been a big improvement in communication from the club this summer so far, both in terms of they way they communicate things and what they are offering?  I don't recall an open training session in previous years, and they've announced things in such a way that there is something new every couple days, either an interview, an offer, an announcement...

I find it really hard to believe I'm the only one!

3 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Delighted!  We've added some quality strikers by the looks of things, and only really lost McKenna and Gaston.

Am I really the only person who thinks there's been a big improvement in communication from the club this summer so far, both in terms of they way they communicate things and what they are offering?  I don't recall an open training session in previous years, and they've announced things in such a way that there is something new every couple days, either an interview, an offer, an announcement...

I find it really hard to believe I'm the only one!

Not sure. I feel we have always put out certain announcements but sometimes will wait until the start of the window before doing them in the past. We have had open days at Gayfield with fans on the pitch and meeting the players etc which feels similar to this open session although there were gaps in that with Covid playing a part.

If they now have a paid up social media employee then you would expect more regular posts etc as a result of that and the aim is to try and create positivity and sell season tickets etc.

Gets a bit dull looking at social media comments and every time there is a post with McIntyre out on it. I think the fans always should be able to voice their opinions but once a decision is made on the way forward it's not really helpful or useful to continue with it.

I am looking forward to some different football next season and hopefully enjoying matches again. I fully expect the goal is to be in the promotion hunt/playoffs and anything less than a top half finish is not going to be easily accepted.