The Arbroath Thread

10 hours ago, TheRoundO said:

Norey good enough for league 2. Ali to EF?  Funniest thing I’ve heard for months. 

I thought he was decent but the first three Raith goals in the final game of the season were down to him getting skinned by the winger.  Mind you he probably wasnt that fit, just coming back,

im looking for more defensive signlngs urgently

5 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

I thought he was decent but the first three Raith goals in the final game of the season were down to him getting skinned by the winger.  Mind you he probably wasnt that fit, just coming back,

im looking for more defensive signlngs urgently

We have 6 defenders on the books now. Dont see any more coming in just yet.

Gk top priority.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

We have 6 defenders on the books now. Dont see any more coming in just yet.

Gk top priority.

Not only 5?

Steele

Walker

ToB

Hamilton

Wilkie

I can see another centre half - I think Walker and Wilkie will be back up - Steele and Hammy can also both play centre half but think they’ll start the season at full back. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

We desperately need at least one winger and more quality and steel in midfield. If we go into this season with Gold and Slater in central midfield we will be bottom half. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

We desperately need at least one winger and more quality and steel in midfield. If we go into this season with Gold and Slater in central midfield we will be bottom half. 

New Signing 1 - GK

New Signing 2 - GK reserve 

Aaron Steele RB / CH

Gordon Walker - RB

Thomas O’Brien - CH

New Signing 3 - CH

Colin Hamilton - LB / CH

Jack Wilkie - LB

Ryan Dow - LM / RM 

Mark Stowe - LM / RM

Scotty Stewart - RM

Inness Murray - LM / RM / CM

New Signing 4 - Winger 

Craig Slater - CM

David Gold - CM

New Signing 5 - Big / Decent Sized Bad b*****d CM

Calum Gallagher - CF

Gavin Reilly - CF

New Signing 6 - CF

New Signing 7 - CF

That is how I currently feel about it. If we could sign a centre half that could also move one up into central midfield that would be handy or if not I think I would add another defensive midfield player to take the squad up to 21.

Edited by 1320Lichtie

12 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

New Signing 1 - GK

Aaron Steele RB / CH

Gordon Walker - RB

Thomas O’Brien - CH

New Signing 3 - CH

Colin Hamilton - LB / CH

Jack Wilkie - LB

Ryan Dow - LM / RM 

Mark Stowe - LM / RM

Scotty Stewart - RM

New Signing 4 - Winger 

Craig Slater - CM

David Gold - CM

Calum Gallagher - CF

Gavin Reilly - CF

New Signing 6 - CF

New Signing 7 - CF

That is how I currently feel about it. If we could sign a centre half that could also move one up into central midfield that would be handy or if not I think I would add another defensive midfield player to take the squad up to 21.

Do Arbroath play with 2 strikers?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not only 5?

Steele

Walker

ToB

Hamilton

Wilkie

I can see another centre half - I think Walker and Wilkie will be back up - Steele and Hammy can also both play centre half but think they’ll start the season at full back. 

Aye. It is 5. Got fat fingers and not had my morning cuppa.

Dont see Wilkie coming in as backup if a number of clubs were after him. Must have got certain assurances of playing time to sign for us. Can see him playing LB with Hammy at CB.

We have a working back 4 now with positional flexibility. 

Any additional defensive signings i can see be a DM that can drop into a CB role if needed.

Edited by RedLichtie86

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Do Arbroath play with 2 strikers?

Think that’s the plan for this year - we were never really able to play in any certain way last year with injuries. Guys like Leighton McIntosh playing right back, Scott Stewart playing centre half and Ali Adams playing upfront kind of sums up how it’s been so far. Never really been able to see any certain formation put in place yet. 

I agree with 1320 that we need another defensive signing.  But then, this is the third summer I've said this.  ToB, Steele and Walker all had multiple injuries last year, and we need to make sure we have adequate cover and rotation there.  A lot of our problems came from players like ToB having to play through niggles when not fully fit.

25 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

New Signing 1 - GK

Aaron Steele RB / CH

Gordon Walker - RB

Thomas O’Brien - CH

New Signing 3 - CH

Colin Hamilton - LB / CH

Jack Wilkie - LB

Ryan Dow - LM / RM 

Mark Stowe - LM / RM

Scotty Stewart - RM/RB/CB/LB/LM/CM/ST/GK/Ball boy

New Signing 4 - Winger 

Craig Slater - CM

David Gold - CM

Calum Gallagher - CF

Gavin Reilly - CF

New Signing 6 - CF

New Signing 7 - CF

Fixed it for you.

Looking at that squad list makes me quite sad. Not for the quality or lack of players in certain positions, more for the names that aren’t on it.

We've got so used to seeing certain names that it just looks weird without them.

17 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

From what I’ve watched of him he’s got nothing special about him. Hopefully league 1 is more his level but I’ve got little faith 

That’s what I’m hanging on too. Though he was non existent when brought on early against League 2 Spartans 

Can see you lads being in for Harrison Sharp.

We're well stocked and he absolutely needs games. Done well anytime he's played for us but had a bit of a mare at Dunfermline. Definitely a future Championship level keeper in him IMO.

2 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

New sponsorship deal announced with the harbour end enclosure being renamed

Think Royal Oak Tree who had previously sponsored one of the stands anyway has went bust.

On the keeper, agree it’s an important position, would be perfectly happy with some of the suggestions on here including Sharp. 

Also agree it is a bit weird seeing no Ricky Little, Derek Gaston and Michael McKenna but probably a good time to freshen it up and we’ve still got the stalwarts of ToB, Hammy, Stewart and Gold there

Hoping to see more from Inness Murray and Craig Slater this season, think you can see they’ve got something but never showed it enough last year 

Stowe looked very rough I would agree but I think his pace alone will be a real asset this season in comparison to last. 

Have full faith in the stalwarts and the likes of Aaron Steele showed even last season in a harder league that he is a really good young player. Another strong showing this year then we should be looking to tie him down to a long term contract. 

Again…. Hopefully some good news starts to trickle through. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

That’s what I’m hanging on too. Though he was non existent when brought on early against League 2 Spartans 

He also came on against Raith and got an assist and scored the winner.  He wasn't the finished product last season, but wasn't signed to be.  I wonder if McIntyre might play him as the second striker rather than a winger.