The Arbroath Thread

18 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

The main thing here, for me, is short term v long term. I agree with pretty much everything you've said, short term (the next few weeks) is covered in the first paragraph, but ultimately the longer term is covered in the last sentence. It's a 9 month season and squad wise we're in a good place currently, injuries aside.

If this was our squad for the season I'd have huge worries in terms of depth and ability in certain areas but it obviously isn't. We have a really good base with several additions to come in :)

On the goals side of things, would we be more confident if dow/ Stowe had grabbed a goal or two in pre season? I wouldn't, as it's totally irrelevant to our 9 month season, as dow/ Stowe aren't going to be our strikers this season. If Gallagher/ Reilly had been fit all pre season then I'd definitely be concerned by a lack of goals, but they've still to come in as do others.

Well yes, wouldn't we be more confident?  Wouldn't our players be more confident?  Football is very heavily influenced by form and momentum.  Look at our run of form when we were going for the league title, even when we weren't playing well, we often found a way to win.  Similarly, last season, when we were down, we were absolutely down.  Was it 38 goals Boruc conceded?  So yes, if we had won some games, then it would have given the squad a much needed boost, knowing that we could win games and score goals.  Isn't this just basic football knowledge?

7 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

My main issue is exactly the same as it has been for weeks.  

We have two quality (we assume!) part time strikers, although they haven't played together yet.  But we have *only* two.  That means apparently we planned to make no attacking subs during the league cup, which has gone well.  Two strikers for two positions with no subs, was mismanagement, which was then exposed when they both got injured.

Now, as to shape and structure.  Remember, our manager, chairman, vice chairman (I think) CEO, and both our new strikers referred in their interviews this summer to playing "2 up top".  People on here said that one of the reasons they weren't too bothered about losing McKenna (an utterly insane bit of apologism) because he wouldn't fit into the "new" shape we were going to be playing of :: checks notes :: "two up top".  However, during pre season, we have not been playing and getting used to that shape and structure because we've had no strikers.  This means we've spent the league cup playing an entirely different shape and structure to the one we presumably plan to use in the league. 

I'm surprised you don't see that as any kind of negative?

Yeah, you're commenting on the shape/ structure of a team you haven't seen play are you not? The shape/ structure of the team has been excellent both in and out of possession in the majority of games we've played.

We've also been playing with 2 up most of pre season, with dow upfront and innes Murray in behind.....

What do you think of the shape/ structure so far? Thoughts on the full backs?

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'm really intrigued by the lack of positives people see at the moment.....

When you look through the basis of our squad, and what we've shown in pre-season, I'd be interested in why people see the following so negativly:

Aidan McAdams - does he not look like a really good keeper for this level?

Central defence - are Tam and Hammy not a good central defensive partnership?

Wilkie/ Bisland - have they not impressed so far and added some much needed younger legs to the team?

Innes Murray - has he not impressed this pre-season now he's fully fit?

Fitness in general - do the team not look fitter/ sharper than they have done for years?!

Shape - has the team shape/ structure not been really good in every game apart from the 45 minutes we were chasing a game when down to 10 men?

Up top - have we not got two really good quality part time strikers to come into the team in a matter of weeks?

Loan wise - we've not used a single loan yet, and have plenty of space to do so - a good positon to be in, much better than wasting them.

The negatives? 'Jim McIntyre'? A lack of goals obviously - but the reasons for that are clear as day and will be sorted within weeks (it's a 9 month league season).

Genuinely intrigued by the stack of negatives I'm missing, and how the above aren't all real stuff to be positive about?

There is some positives,

I've not heard one person say they haven't been impressed with Bisland, Wilkie or any ot the goalies,

Also been very impressed with Dow and Murray, they look like new players, 

But there's a lot to worry about too, it is a long season but the season has started, and we should of been looking to start well, especially after how things went last season, we always use this cup as an excuse for fitness, why not be a little more positive and actually try and get through?

It's great we can add loans, but we are needing 5 or 6 with probably 2 moving on, how long do we give the new players to settle in?

I was ok with the set up against dundee with the back 5, that's understandable against better teams, but against annan it should of been a lot more positive from the start, should of been 4 at the back, Stewart should of been up the pitch,  he started with a back 5 til hammy got injured then put Stowe on? Why if the structure and tactics were ok, 

It's great your positive, I wish I could be as positive, But I can only see this ending one way, I'd love to be wrong and will hold my hands up, 

Edited by lichtiekev

Annan at home was absolutely fkn gantin. 

But considering the circumstances and position we’ve been in I’m happy with how all the other games have went and even with the addition of Keith Watson there I think the squad looks really good.

Thatll take time to come to fruition with getting boys back and the season rolling 

Just now, SimonLichtie said:

Yeah, you're commenting on the shape/ structure of a team you haven't seen play are you not? The shape/ structure of the team has been excellent both in and out of possession in the majority of games we've played.

We've also been playing with 2 up most of pre season, with dow upfront and innes Murray in behind.....

What do you think of the shape/ structure so far? Thoughts on the full backs?

Despite repeatedly asking the club, there has been no news on streaming, so no, I haven't been able to watch the games.  Not through choice.  But why would I need to watch the games to know that both of our two strikers are injured, and we've been playing midfielders?  

3 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Despite repeatedly asking the club, there has been no news on streaming, so no, I haven't been able to watch the games.  Not through choice.  But why would I need to watch the games to know that both of our two strikers are injured, and we've been playing midfielders?  

😂

Genuinely fkn hilarious that you post on here a million times a day throwing your expertise about and you’ve no even watched a game

ETA - Fud Boy

Edited by 1320Lichtie

4 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Yeah, I'm trying to talk about the shape and structure of the team, not the lack of available strikers. Obviously we cant discuss the shape of the team if you haven't seen them play, so I'll leave it there on this one :).

Id rate this as one of your poorer trolls, but it's kept me amused on the way to work, so I appreciate it :)

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

😂

Genuinely fkn hilarious that you post on here a million times a day throwing your expertise about and you’ve no even watched a game

ETA - Fud Boy

I don't comment on matters I don't know about.  I don't know any detailed questions about our shape and formation (I recall even people who watched the games couldn't agree on here about what shape we played), so I don't discuss that.  But what I do know is that we have no strikers.  I don't need to watch the games to know that.  

Just now, SimonLichtie said:

Yeah, I'm trying to talk about the shape and structure of the team, not the lack of available strikers. Obviously we cant discuss the shape of the team if you haven't seen them play, so I'll leave it there on this one :).

Id rate this as one of your poorer trolls, but it's kept me amused on the way to work, so I appreciate it :)

You asked about negatives.  You don't think the lack of strikers is a negative?  So yes, obviously, I'm not going to discuss the detailed shape of a team that I haven't seen play.  Why would I do that?  I stick to what I know.  But you were asking about "negatives", not "negatives specifically about the shape of the team" in your post.  You even mentioned the loans.  What does that have to do with the shape of the team?  I believe that is known as "goalpost shifting", and surely that sort of nonsense should be left up to the other, less genuine posters?

13 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

😭😭😭😭😭😭

Watson is very much a "meat and potatoes" old school centre half. He did well enough winning headers and tackles but don't expect any ball playing centre half. He was very prone to a lump out of defence when the ball reached him.

Murray played him when injured against Airdrie right at the start of last season and he went down injured. We were then told he'd be out for a couple of weeks, which then turned into months. He'd return intermittently in the second half of the campaign only to break down with injury again. By February or March the writing was on the wall in terms of his time with us. 

I'd be amazed if he's back playing regularly but at the same time, if he's used as a back up and keeps up his fitness he'll be a good option.

Just now, Broken Algorithms said:

Watson is very much a "meat and potatoes" old school centre half. He did well enough winning headers and tackles but don't expect any ball playing centre half. He was very prone to a lump out of defence when the ball reached him.

Murray played him when injured against Airdrie right at the start of last season and he went down injured. We were then told he'd be out for a couple of weeks, which then turned into months. He'd return intermittently in the second half of the campaign only to break down with injury again. By February or March the writing was on the wall in terms of his time with us. 

I'd be amazed if he's back playing regularly but at the same time, if he's used as a back up and keeps up his fitness he'll be a good option.

Well he will fit right in with all of our crocks!!!

Hopefully PT and a league down is easier on the body for him.

21 appearances for Raith last season and 34 appearances for Ross County the year before - it is not the worst 

21 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

That's odd. They took the money for my international season ticket, which covers all the league matches starting with Montrose. 

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'm really intrigued by the lack of positives people see at the moment.....

When you look through the basis of our squad, and what we've shown in pre-season, I'd be interested in why people see the following so negativly:

Aidan McAdams - does he not look like a really good keeper for this level?

Central defence - are Tam and Hammy not a good central defensive partnership?

Wilkie/ Bisland - have they not impressed so far and added some much needed younger legs to the team?

Innes Murray - has he not impressed this pre-season now he's fully fit?

Fitness in general - do the team not look fitter/ sharper than they have done for years?!

Shape - has the team shape/ structure not been really good in every game apart from the 45 minutes we were chasing a game when down to 10 men?

Up top - have we not got two really good quality part time strikers to come into the team in a matter of weeks?

Loan wise - we've not used a single loan yet, and have plenty of space to do so - a good positon to be in, much better than wasting them.

The negatives? 'Jim McIntyre'? A lack of goals obviously - but the reasons for that are clear as day and will be sorted within weeks (it's a 9 month league season).

Genuinely intrigued by the stack of negatives I'm missing, and how the above aren't all real stuff to be positive about?

Imo it’s very easy to understand the caution/perceived negativity.

i.e. We’ve heard it all before.

This is the third pre season in a row where we’re hearing about how great our squad is only for deficiencies to be laid bare pretty quickly in the previous two years. Hopefully this season is different, there are definitely players of real quality that have been brought in, but I think it’s very easy to understand peoples concerns.

You say we’ve had a decent pre season - have we really? is having “good shape” and being fit, scoring one goal and a single penalty win against a team in crisis really enough to qualify that? Has two years of misery meant that even a team doing the very basics is seen as something to shout about?

Personally, I’m trying really hard to stay positive and I feel a lot better about where we are than this time last season.

Hopefully things will pick up once a few more players are brought in, we can actually put a striker on the pitch and get a few wins under our belt. Until then though, I completely understand the gnashing of teeth and calls for Mcintyre’s head on a silver platter.

McIntyre has shown that he can assemble what looks like a decent, competitive squad - does he have the ability though to turn the into a winning team?

Football fans - every single one of us - are fickle buggers.

1 minute ago, lichtgilphead said:

That's odd. They took the money for my international season ticket, which covers all the league matches starting with Montrose. 

Aye, I saw the message earlier.  That should work for me too.  

6 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

You asked about negatives.  You don't think the lack of strikers is a negative?  So yes, obviously, I'm not going to discuss the detailed shape of a team that I haven't seen play.  Why would I do that?  I stick to what I know.  But you were asking about "negatives", not "negatives specifically about the shape of the team" in your post.  You even mentioned the loans.  What does that have to do with the shape of the team?  I believe that is known as "goalpost shifting", and surely that sort of nonsense should be left up to the other, less genuine posters?

You say lack of strikers but we have 2 signed currently with another 2 in Dow and Stowe who can play on forward positions in support of the strikers and also Murray that can do a job in a support role. Having the 2 strikers has obviously been a big issue in these games but to say we were planning on playing the 2 strikers for 90 minutes in every game is definitely naive.

A lot of the time when playing 2 up top you will play with a "10" who isn't always a striker. Playing with 2 forwards doesn't mean you don't change the shape during the game or play 1 of the forwards in a deeper in a support role.

If both strikers had been fit going into this competition I don't think many would have mentioned it. Also to say people were happy to lose McKenna is just not true. Every supporter would have wanted him to stay but could understand why he chose to move. It wasn't like he wasn't offered a new deal. 

We had spells before under Campbell where we were playing McCord as the striker or Linn due to injuries and suspensions. It happens to clubs all the time.

If we end the transfer window in the same position then that is when to have the conversation.

2 minutes ago, Hammerafc said:

You say lack of strikers but we have 2 signed currently with another 2 in Dow and Stowe who can play on forward positions in support of the strikers and also Murray that can do a job in a support role. Having the 2 strikers has obviously been a big issue in these games but to say we were planning on playing the 2 strikers for 90 minutes in every game is definitely naive.

A lot of the time when playing 2 up top you will play with a "10" who isn't always a striker. Playing with 2 forwards doesn't mean you don't change the shape during the game or play 1 of the forwards in a deeper in a support role.

If both strikers had been fit going into this competition I don't think many would have mentioned it. Also to say people were happy to lose McKenna is just not true. Every supporter would have wanted him to stay but could understand why he chose to move. It wasn't like he wasn't offered a new deal. 

We had spells before under Campbell where we were playing McCord as the striker or Linn due to injuries and suspensions. It happens to clubs all the time.

If we end the transfer window in the same position then that is when to have the conversation.

Danny Denholm also filled in upfront for a spell.

McCord was the best chubby number 9 in all of the country. 

5 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Aye, I saw the message earlier.  That should work for me too.  

I haven't seen any message. I logged in to see if the Annan game was going to be streamed, and saw the option for the season ticket at that time.