The Arbroath Thread

17 minutes ago, JobbieSandwich said:

I see the morons are out in force on Facebook.
Wanting Stewart Petrie in when it will never happen after what happened in his spell as assistant.

For once i agree with you. Petrie was never coming here.

13 hours ago, mo83 said:

Had you boys down for a win and ye f**ked my coupon 2 up and the lichties f**ked it for 3/3...Always next week a suppose.

Also how did big Sena play in the middle of the park for Dumbarton? Absolutely bossed it when we played a few weeks ago....Very good player.

Nobody really stood out for Dumbarton at all it was just a decent teams performance - sat in and stayed in shape - played off of and broke on our mistakes and overplaying and got the ball forward quickly.

With how they were set up I thought the game would be won if we got a single goal but after that happened we kind of seemed happy with it and stopped doing what we had been doing and over time they grew into the game. Start to the second half was horrendous and after we were behind everyone knew we weren’t going to get back into it. One of them days

Some of the reaction is laughable on Facebook, had a look after reading this thread. People that don’t even go to games or support the club saying some ridiculous things and then some people who do support the club and go to games acting like we should be winning every single game. Arbroath had won the last 3 league games in a row before yesterday, has any other team in the division won 3 in a row? Kelty maybe? Do they just not understand what football is and how it works - cannot stand them. 

It is great to have a bigger following and to be going to a busy Gayfield every weekend instead of just the odd occasion for a big game or Montrose, but we haven’t half attracted the interest of a fair amount of absolute dafties. Had hoped some of the stuff before was just because they were fed up of McIntyre but clearly not 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

Have just been watching the highlights. Not good viewing.

1st goal we concede - Wilkie and ToB are doing the right thing. Gold there in support. Ruth has the ball and Carlo runs behind Wilkie and into the box. Wilkie just stares at the ball and fails to follow the runner. Carlo left with acres of space to recieve a pass, turn and have a great outside of the foot shot at goal.

2nd - right after kick off a simple punt forward and right over our defence. Smith manages to put it out for a corner. We failed to deal with the first one and concede another.

2nd corner comes in to the front post area and we have 5 players in line with where the ball comes in. 2 attempt to jump to head it with both just short. 3 others are hugging 2 players and make no attempt to attack the ball. Can see Dow and Gold with their heads down. Even ToB is more focussed on the players than the ball. Ball goes past them, past McAdams and bounces off of Smith and into the goal.

And they even have a spare man at the back post as no one is there to mark him. Taylor the next closest person at the edge of the box. 

Gold or Dow should have either been on the front post ready to attack the ball or been helping Smith out at the back.

3rd - A simple play. Ball headed high from half way line. Smith goes up but Dumbarton player gets the flick on. Stewart was tracking back but blocked by those 2 players and boy gets a free run into the box where he cuts back and the other player slots home. 

Stewart bust a gut to get back and did get a touch on the cut back but unfortunately it actually helped them out. Slater on the other hand, jogged back, ball watching, not even clocked on the boy running past him until its too late. Thats not the first time Slater in his time at Arbroath has half arsed defensive duties. If he had busted a gut like Stewart he would have been able to prevent the boy getting the ball.

A terrible defensive display to go along with other faults across the park.

36 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Have just been watching the highlights. Not good viewing.

1st goal we concede - Wilkie and ToB are doing the right thing. Gold there in support. Ruth has the ball and Carlo runs behind Wilkie and into the box. Wilkie just stares at the ball and fails to follow the runner. Carlo left with acres of space to recieve a pass, turn and have a great outside of the foot shot at goal.

2nd - right after kick off a simple punt forward and right over our defence. Smith manages to put it out for a corner. We failed to deal with the first one and concede another.

2nd corner comes in to the front post area and we have 5 players in line with where the ball comes in. 2 attempt to jump to head it with both just short. 3 others are hugging 2 players and make no attempt to attack the ball. Can see Dow and Gold with their heads down. Even ToB is more focussed on the players than the ball. Ball goes past them, past McAdams and bounces off of Smith and into the goal.

And they even have a spare man at the back post as no one is there to mark him. Taylor the next closest person at the edge of the box. 

Gold or Dow should have either been on the front post ready to attack the ball or been helping Smith out at the back.

3rd - A simple play. Ball headed high from half way line. Smith goes up but Dumbarton player gets the flick on. Stewart was tracking back but blocked by those 2 players and boy gets a free run into the box where he cuts back and the other player slots home. 

Stewart bust a gut to get back and did get a touch on the cut back but unfortunately it actually helped them out. Slater on the other hand, jogged back, ball watching, not even clocked on the boy running past him until its too late. Thats not the first time Slater in his time at Arbroath has half arsed defensive duties. If he had busted a gut like Stewart he would have been able to prevent the boy getting the ball.

A terrible defensive display to go along with other faults across the park.

I can’t bring myself to watch them back but could tell from being there how sluggish and off the pace we looked as a group, after a really encouraging and positive start too…. I thought that we’d cruise that game after 20 minutes but we never kicked on at all and the goal had the opposite effect.

I would absolutely bring Watson back in next week too for his experience. 

16 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Had the pleasure of chatting to Ali Spalding yesterday. He’s pretty confident that he will be back against Alloa next Saturday 

Excellent news. Someone that can tackle and gives the opposition no time on the ball.

13 minutes ago, Portmahomack Saint said:

Hi Guys 

How's young Fraser Taylor been playing a player i rate very highly was hoping he was going to break into our team this season.

Had a quick look through your thread someone said he was playing wide, for me he should be playing centre mid 

Yup. Was played at LW but kept drifting inside and back looking to get on the ball.

I think he would be better asset to us at CM as his passing and vision are pretty good from what I have seen so far.

Does anyone know why there was segregation yesterday? Think it was only a few weeks ago when Annan (?) were at Gayfield, there was no segregation allowing everyone to move.

There looked to be only a hundred or so away supporters yesterday and it seems excessive to give them a third of the available terracing plus a whole seating section.  At one point in the second half there were only about a dozen away supporters behind the away goal as most had drifted around the corner.
Definitely has a negative effect on the atmosphere, particularly towards the ends of games.

Next home match is against Stenhousemuir who probably won’t bring a lot of support either.

Do we still have supporter liaison folk? I recall something about them a few months ago but can’t say that I’ve heard anything about them recently.

8 minutes ago, mountzionbrae said:

Does anyone know why there was segregation yesterday? Think it was only a few weeks ago when Annan (?) were at Gayfield, there was no segregation allowing everyone to move.

There looked to be only a hundred or so away supporters yesterday and it seems excessive to give them a third of the available terracing plus a whole seating section.  At one point in the second half there were only about a dozen away supporters behind the away goal as most had drifted around the corner.
Definitely has a negative effect on the atmosphere, particularly towards the ends of games.

Next home match is against Stenhousemuir who probably won’t bring a lot of support either.

Do we still have supporter liaison folk? I recall something about them a few months ago but can’t say that I’ve heard anything about them recently.

Screenshot_20241020_165602_WhatsApp.jpg

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I can’t bring myself to watch them back but could tell from being there how sluggish and off the pace we looked as a group, after a really encouraging and positive start too…. I thought that we’d cruise that game after 20 minutes but we never kicked on at all and the goal had the opposite effect.

I would absolutely bring Watson back in next week too for his experience. 

I think we try and overthink and over complicate things, If you want to set up that way away from home if be a bit more understanding, But at home this slow passing side to side allowing teams to just sit back is not working, Said it a few times already but why does Dow need to drop so deep to get the ball off the centre backs? Pretty sure Flynn is more than capable, we need to be play with way more urgency and get support around Reilly,

Also need to bin this zonal marking at corners and keep one player minimum up the pitch, what is the need in someone like Taylor being back for a corner, 

2 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

I can’t stand watching slater play seriously. Has he had 1 good performance for us?? I’d drive him to his new club in a heartbeat

So far. 50 Appearances. 0 goals. 0 assists.

And has been a very meh player in his time with us. 

23 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Kind of think we might struggle if teams play like that against us, almost be better if teams had a go too with how we play - anyway 3 wins from last 4 league games - perspective.

It's funny because, we have started all but the last 2 games having a go, and look where it got us... yesterday was the first match where we adapted things to counter the opposition, and it clearly worked very well. Hopefully we can gain some confidence and perhaps even switch between the 2 to make us a much bigger threat in matches moving forward.

1 hour ago, lichtiekev said:

I think we try and overthink and over complicate things, If you want to set up that way away from home if be a bit more understanding, But at home this slow passing side to side allowing teams to just sit back is not working, Said it a few times already but why does Dow need to drop so deep to get the ball off the centre backs? Pretty sure Flynn is more than capable, we need to be play with way more urgency and get support around Reilly,

Also need to bin this zonal marking at corners and keep one player minimum up the pitch, what is the need in someone like Taylor being back for a corner, 

Think we have been playing that way too. Think having 2 deep midfielders has changed that. Also when a team sits in like they were yesterday it makes it more difficult.

Dumbarton happy to let us have the ball  yesterday - needed more bodies up the park and midfielders running beyond asking them questions - another thing we’ve been doing really well. Shapes changed with Spalding out I think. 

Stewart got in behind loads in first half but there was nothing down the other side all game 

It’s a wee lesson for Goldie and Hammy to learn from 

47 minutes ago, glasgowlichtie23 said:

“Very meh” is doing him a huge favour 

I think we were both in agreement (amongst others) that he was possibly the worst player on the pitch against Alloa last week.   

I'm sure people will be on to say that "he's not an attacking player, he's a 6 who will break up the play", but he doesn't seem much good at that either.  He's not a passer either.  He's  not an attacking player, but he's taken loads of free kicks.  Unsuccessfully.  I've heard it said he provides experience.  Valuable for novice youthful midfielders like Gold, Flynn, Dow, and Stewart.

I don't understand what he does.  He's just there.   A mobile training cone.

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

I think we were both in agreement (amongst others) that he was possibly the worst player on the pitch against Alloa last week.   

I'm sure people will be on to say that "he's not an attacking player, he's a 6 who will break up the play", but he doesn't seem much good at that either.  He's not a passer either.  He's  not an attacking player, but he's taken loads of free kicks.  Unsuccessfully.  I've heard it said he provides experience.  Valuable for novice youthful midfielders like Gold, Flynn, Dow, and Stewart.

I don't understand what he does.  He's just there.   A mobile training cone.

Didn't we sign him on the back of him being POTY at the fermers and Lge 2 TOTY?? 🤯