The Arbroath Thread

If we're playing a 4-5-1 then I'd be looking to loan Kane out to a team where he will get a proper challenge. No offence to Montrose Roselea but half the teams in the second tier of the North region are around the level the FPs play at FFS, him scoring goals every week there last year does not in any way, shape or form back up the argument that he should get game time for us. Now Roselea are in the top tier it may be useful for him to get game time there again this year however. If we are looking to play a 4-4-2 I'd keep him in the squad as an option off the bench for sure, he is definitely improving gradually. Staying with us and getting 5 minutes here and there off the bench would be utterly pointless though and if anything stunt his development. If we want him to develop as a player he needs to be getting game time most weeks at a good enough level to challenge him.

Also, if we're looking to play 4-4-2 then Whatley/ McCord could be in trouble in terms of their place in the starting 11. I'm far happier with a 4-5-1/ 4-2-3-1 due to the strength in depth we have in the centre of the park. All of these problems are positives though, and in midfield/ up top we have plenty of options and competition for places which will push players to really bust a gut to keep their place in the team.

When we get a backup keeper in and a backup left sided defender then we'll be looking good squad wise. On paper this team should be more than capable of pushing for the promotion play offs.

There's not much difference between the 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 though really. It just depends if the 10 is Swankie/McCord or Hester/Prunty really. Could easy switch between the 2 depending. Kane off the bench (or even starting) could be a really good option because of his pace. Clever players to get him in now, pace down both wings, and Doris game has changed remarkably the last 6 month, can hold it up so well now. He really could do well with him you'd think.

Hope he doesn't go out on loan.

16 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

There's not much difference between the 4-4-2 and 4-5-1.

For me there is a huge difference.

If we have 3 in the middle of the park with a sitting midfielder, it allows the full backs to overlap more as there is more cover at the back for when the opposition break. This also effects the wingers massively as having a consistent overlap to take a man away from them makes a huge difference, an example being Bobby Linn last year not having a consistent overlap from Jaseem Suker, which saw him doubled up on time and again and made him less effective.

In the middle of the park, if you're playing with a midfield 2 and McCord/ Swankie are one of them it can really constrain them. We saw last year that McCord thrived in a 3, but struggled in a 2 and it left us more exposed at the back, and less potent upfront with McCord having to constantly be thinking about his positioning/ tracking a man when we weren't in possession, whereas in a 3 it allowed him to get further forward and focus more on creating chances and getting into the box himself. I would see Swankie as being very similiar to what we saw with McCord last year.

Upfront, Stevie Doris is the absolute ideal forward to play as a lone striker at this level in my opinion. His ability to hold the ball up and bring others into play is superb. Also, if you play Swankie up top with him it restricts his ability to see runners and create from further back. Swankie isn't going to create chances, switch the play and control things as a striker, but in a more withdrawn role he can.

Also, in terms of the centre backs playing 3 in the middle of the park compared to 2, and 1 or 2 upfront makes a big difference to their distrbution. If we have a midfield 3, we're far more likely, and would find it far easier, to play passes into the centre of the park and create from there. With 2 upfront instead of 1, we're more likely to play it long more often as flick ons can be aimed towards the striking partner, as opposed to empty space.

In short - in my opinion ALL outfield players are effected by the difference in formation (some far more than others) which for me means it makes a huge difference which formation we play. It's one thing having a good squad (which we have), it's another thing entirely utilising them properly and playing to their strengths. Personally I think a 4-5-1 plays to our strengths far more than a 4-4-2 does as it restricts a lot of our creativity and doesn't allow us to properly utilise the wingers and central midfielders that we have.

I await Dick starting the season with some sort of ludicrous 5-3-2 formation with no wingers :lol:

Alright get you now, if it's like last season then it would be but that was more like a 4-3-3 at times, Scott and Linn played so close to Doris.

Think this'll be more a 4-2-3-1 type thing going on which is pretty flexible with changing it to 2 up top I think.

It completely depends on the opposition also, I thought in the Forfar and Elgin games last year we completely outwitted them tactically, whereas we really struggled against the likes of Montrose and Edinburgh who completely sat in and got players behind the ball, with the attacking players we have added I expect far more creativity and guile in the forward areas no matter who we play and that is factoring in an improvement in the opposition also. 

It looks like the back four and Doris up top picks itself, the other 5 positions are completely up for grabs and everyone will need to be at it all the time to stay In the starting 11 or force their way into it.

hardly a terrible game doris linn came on 2nd half changed the game . lichties played last 20 with ten men . overall we were so in front of h o b in terms of quality but a good work out

What? It was horrendously bad.

he was jet lagged mate after all he missed the aberdeen dundee bolton game but home to see a game in his native fife .

So that's ok to be a dick to the supporters that made a journey to see him and his side?