The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, JoseMarooniho said:

Promised more than he actually delivered. With him and Martin away we’ll need a midfielder or two in.

Think this is a little unfair, for most of the season, he was a better player than our skipper

Still pretty disappointed in the lad if I’m honest
Are you still disappointed in the lad now?

After all his new job means he is away from home often and making training and matches will be more problematic.

Great business from us to be honest. Was solid and done a good job, looked really good at times but think he started to toil second half of the season, maybe travelling catching up on him or meaning he wasn’t enjoying it as much?

Good luck to him and well done to him for giving it a go.

Yes......yes I am
For what exactly?

Signing for the club and playing for a year, then gaining a promotion at his work which ment it was more difficult to travel to training and matches for us?

So he has asked to leave so that he can still enjoy his football but not have to travel as far for games. Plus training will be a lot closer to home for him which makes a hige difference to a person if they have a demanding job.

For what exactly?

Signing for the club and playing for a year, then gaining a promotion at his work which ment it was more difficult to travel to training and matches for us?

So he has asked to leave so that he can still enjoy his football but not have to travel as far for games. Plus training will be a lot closer to home for him which makes a hige difference to a person if they have a demanding job.

Signs a 2 year deal and doesn’t fulfil it. I’d be pretty pissed off as an employer. His ambition is to play highland league by the looks of it.

Signs a 2 year deal and doesn’t fulfil it. I’d be pretty pissed off as an employer. His ambition is to play highland league by the looks of it.
No. He signed a 2 year deal in good faith. He turned down Inverness and Dundee United as w offered him the chance to play at a higher level but also keep working as that was a more sensible option for him.

His personal circumstances have changed with his job meaning that his ambition to play professional football at the highest possible level have probably now ended. After all his main job is as an Electrical Engineer which pays far more than his hobby of playing part time football will ever do.

But he still wants to play football so has asked the club for a transfer as he knows he can play at a high level in the Highland League but also have time at home and earn his pay at his work.

The club have now recieved a 5 figure sum which they wouldnt have got if he stayed for another year and left on a free. We can use that cash to strenghen the squad with players that are in a position to play for the club.

But you just keeping having a go at the guy.

Maybe he signed a 2 year deal because we convinced him that it would be the best deal for us and himself.

If it wasn’t for him after a year then atleast we’d be able to make money off of him. Afterall he only completed his degree this year, the reason why he couldn’t accept an offer from the FT clubs that were interested in him this time last season.

Perhaps we were expecting him to maybe be on the receiving end of an offer from an Inverness or whoever instead of Cove..?

DC seems to want our players on 2 year deals, probably for this very reason.

Either way it’s worked out very well in the end. That’s a good wage available now for a guy who isn’t a guaranteed starter plus 10k (atleast) in the kitty to go towards a wage or fee for someone else.

The guy has been magic for us. Like I said, best of luck to him and hope he can get back enjoying his football at Cove. Maybe come across him again at some point if they’re ever promoted.

The guy has been magic for us. Like I said, best of luck to him and hope he can get back enjoying his football at Cove. Maybe come across him again at some point if they’re ever promoted.

So you want us to be relegated to league 2?

I’m slightly concerned that, without replacing the bite and presence of Martin and Yule, we might be a bit of a pushover in midfield... and consequently maybe facing a bit of a struggle towards the bottom end. Hoping to see some decent replacement(s) to reduce this risk.

Very very disappointed in Yule, he has shown a total lack of ambition, he has turned down the chance of playing in a team competing to get into the championship to be the big fish in the small pond in the highland league. Good riddance.

Without knowing all the details, the travelling issue doesn’t wash with me and is often a smoke screen, we’ve had players who have travelled from the West for years. 

Shows the importance of getting guys on 2 year deals to get the fee in. 

13 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Very very disappointed in Yule, he has shown a total lack of ambition, he has turned down the chance of playing in a team competing to get into the championship to be the big fish in the small pond in the highland league. Good riddance.

Without knowing all the details, the travelling issue doesn’t wash with me and is often a smoke screen, we’ve had players who have travelled from the West for years. 

Shows the importance of getting guys on 2 year deals to get the fee in. 

You admit you don't know all the details but you're quite happy to rubbish this guy as a waster.

Football fans are mental.

This has always been the peril of the part time footballer, it has happened in the past it will happen in the future, now please do us a favour and get a grip

You admit you don't know all the details but you're quite happy to rubbish this guy as a waster.

Its ridiculous.

He’s already travelling a lot with his work, know for a fact he’s down at sites in Dundee and Perth and imagine he’ll be going further north than Aberdeen too. He could be down in Perth for a morning meeting, back to the office in the afternoon then back down to Perth at night..

A lot of commitment goes into going from Aberdeen to Perth every Monday and Wednesday, getting out of Aberdeen at the end of a working day is torture. A lot of commitment also goes into driving over an hour for a home game. Never mind your Stranraers or central belt sides.

The lack of ambition talk too, settle down, he’s still at an ambitious club and still at a really good level. Football isn’t everything.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Not once did I call him a waster, did well for us, if he wanted to leave then it’s up to him, it’s just my feeling that he’s not fulfilled his potential.