The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Very very disappointed in Yule, he has shown a total lack of ambition, he has turned down the chance of playing in a team competing to get into the championship to be the big fish in the small pond in the highland league. Good riddance.

Without knowing all the details, the travelling issue doesn’t wash with me and is often a smoke screen, we’ve had players who have travelled from the West for years.

Were you were very disappointed in him when he signed for us, as by your logic he showed a total lack of ambition signing for a diddy team like us ahead of full time clubs like Dundee United and Inverness? Or was that okay because that was him signing for us, but this isn't okay because he's leaving us? To be consistent, you have to be disappointed in him signing for us AND now leaving for Cove, or not disappointed in him at either time, surely?

Blair Yule is not a full time football player, football is not his career. His ambitions I expect relate to his working life, his actual career, family etc etc. as it does for the vast majority of us. Without knowing the details, as you say yourself, it could easily be said Blair Yule moving back to Cove is showing ambition in regards to his full time career in a field he will potentially be expecting to work in for the next 40 years.

Presumably not a single poster on here knows Blair Yule personally, and knows what's important to him. By the looks of it, his full focus is his career, which is his livelihood, as opposed to football which he may simply see as a fun aside in life.

Just now, SimonLichtie said:

Were you were very disappointed in him when he signed for us, as by your logic he showed a total lack of ambition signing for a diddy team like us ahead of full time clubs like Dundee United and Inverness? Or was that okay because that was him signing for us, but this isn't okay because he's leaving us? To be consistent, you have to be disappointed in him signing for us AND now leaving for Cove, or not disappointed in him at either time, surely?

Blair Yule is not a full time football player, football is not his career. His ambitions I expect relate to his working life, his actual career, family etc etc. as it does for the vast majority of us. Without knowing the details, as you say yourself, it could easily be said Blair Yule moving back to Cove is showing ambition in regards to his full time career in a field he will potentially be expecting to work in for the next 40 years.

Presumably not a single poster on here knows Blair Yule personally, and knows what's important to him. By the looks of it, his full focus is his career, which is his livelihood, as opposed to football which he may simply see as a fun aside in life.

I think you’re just being a bit pedantic and silly as usual, he obviously couldn’t sign full time due to his work commitments, if his work is the main reason (which I have reason to doubt) he’s not seen out his contact then fair enough, good luck to the lad. 

All im saying is I’m disappointed that he’s not tried to make it work as countless other players do week in week out. 

Hopefully we use the cash wisely.

I think you’re just being a bit pedantic and silly as usual, he obviously couldn’t sign full time due to his work commitments, if his work is the main reason (which I have reason to doubt) he’s not seen out his contact then fair enough, good luck to the lad. 
All im saying is I’m disappointed that he’s not tried to make it work as countless other players do week in week out. 

How do you have reason to doubt his reasons :lol:

I think you are digging your heels in and trying to justify your reasons rather than accepting that the nature of Yule's job has alot to do with his reason for leaving. Not lack of ambition.

Football is a hobby for most part time players. Not their jobs.

2 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Okay - different example then.

Danny Denholm left Livingston after a year to sign with Forfar and to use his degree to become a teacher, a career he may be in for the next 40 years. Chances are with a good part time wage at Forfar he wouldn't be too far off what he was on at Livingston full time, and this way he could also start a career that will last far, far longer than football will for him.

Was Denholm showing a lack of ambition dropping down to part time level and using his qualification to become a teacher, or was he showing ambition in his own life by using his degree to get a job as a teacher and start off what will hopefully be a long career for himself?

Tam O'Brien rejected full time offers to come to ourself so he can finish his apprentiship I believe, which will be hugely beneficial to him for his full time career. He is showing a lack of ambition, or is he simply looking out for himself and doing what he thinks is best for him?

Are you very, very disappointed in either of them for showing a lack of ambition?

I'm not being pedantic, I'm trying to prove a point. We could go through dozens of other examples similiar to those above. If you're going to be very very disappointed in Blair Yule for looking out for himself, his career and ultimately his own livelihood then why not the others?

Also - very important for all of us to remember that many part time players really don't see football as a career. They see it as a bit of fun on the side and they don't want to progress to being a full time player on £300 a week when they can focus on their 'real' career and earn double that amount while setting themselves up for the next 20/30/40 years. Different people have different ambitions in life; not every part time players ambitions relate to football. Many of them will relate to their jobs, their families etc.

17 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Not once did I call him a waster, did well for us, if he wanted to leave then it’s up to him, it’s just my feeling that he’s not fulfilled his potential.

You didn't specifically call him a waster but you feel he's wasting the talent he has by opting to play in the Highland league with Cove. There could be any number of reasons behind the boy's decision and Arbroath have got the money they are due. I find it strange that people are happy to make assumptions about peoples lives and decisions based on absolutely no info.

4 minutes ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Football is a hobby for most part time players. Not their jobs.

Nailed it.

It's not like he was contracted to us, threw a hissy fit and refused to come to training/ play for us anymore until we sold him is it? If he'd behaved like that, it'd be fairly outrageous and unacceptable would it not?

Wait - did we not sign a player last summer who did exactly that at his previous club? :o

Yule wasn’t even a guaranteed starter in central midfield so not sure why ToB would be moving out of position. DC has said he wants a midfielder and a striker.

Maybe we will somehow be able to try and attempt Wedderburns signature with this additional money we now have. Yule would’ve been on a good wage and we have a 5 figure fee on top of that. We’ve come out of this extremely well, possibly end up in a better situation with the way it’s all panned out than what we’d be if he had stayed.

He has tried to make it work. For a season. It clearly didn't work out as he had hoped so he moves on. No big issues

56 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

Danny Denholm left Livingston after a year to sign with Forfar and to use his degree to become a teacher, a career he may be in for the next 40 years. Chances are with a good part time wage at Forfar he wouldn't be too far off what he was on at Livingston full time, and this way he could also start a career that will last far, far longer than football will for him.

Was Denholm showing a lack of ambition dropping down to part time level and using his qualification to become a teacher, or was he showing ambition in his own life by using his degree to get a job as a teacher and start off what will hopefully be a long career for himself?

Tam O'Brien rejected full time offers to come to ourself so he can finish his apprentiship I believe, which will be hugely beneficial to him for his full time career. He is showing a lack of ambition, or is he simply looking out for himself and doing what he thinks is best for him?

Are you very, very disappointed in either of them for showing a lack of ambition?

I'm not being pedantic, I'm trying to prove a point. We could go through dozens of other examples similiar to those above. If you're going to be very very disappointed in Blair Yule for looking out for himself, his career and ultimately his own livelihood then why not the others?

Also - very important for all of us to remember that many part time players really don't see football as a career. They see it as a bit of fun on the side and they don't want to progress to being a full time player on £300 a week when they can focus on their 'real' career and earn double that amount while setting themselves up for the next 20/30/40 years. Different people have different ambitions in life; not every part time players ambitions relate to football. Many of them will relate to their jobs, their families etc.

Big difference here, Arbroath and Cove are both part time clubs. One playing in 3 tiers above and obviously at a far higher level.

The full time/part time debate is completely irrelevant  here. Not sure what’s it got to do with this in anyway, outwith  the Premier league and a handful of championship teams the wages on offer are just not worth it if you have a good career.  

Heres another way of looking at it, we pluck Yule out of highland league, develop, coach and improve him over a year whilst he’s earning maybe £200 or so a week and he turns round and packs it in after a year of a 2 year contract, I think we’re entitled to say that’s disappointing. 

I don't understand all this fuss about Blair Yule leaving the club. Players come and go all the time, managers as well and we made a profit by letting him go so what's the problem. It's not as though the team revolved around him.

He is a reasonable player at this level, wouldn't say he is outstanding, but obviously he feels that playing for a local side , albeit at a lower level, is more suitable to where he wants to be in his life at this time. Everyone has a choice and leaving us was his. 

Lacking ambition? Maybe in a football sense but maybe he has more ambition to progress in his full time job which he will still be doing long after his footballing days are over. Time to move on and look forward to see who the manager brings in as a replacement for a midfield position.  

6 minutes ago, Smokerson said:

Big difference here, Arbroath and Cove are both part time clubs. One playing in 3 tiers above and obviously at a far higher level.

The full time/part time debate is completely irrelevant  here. Not sure what’s it got to do with this in anyway, outwith  the Premier league and a handful of championship teams the wages on offer are just not worth it if you have a good career.  

Heres another way of looking at it, we pluck Yule out of highland league, develop, coach and improve him over a year whilst he’s earning maybe £200 or so a week and he turns round and packs it in after a year of a 2 year contract, I think we’re entitled to say that’s disappointing. 

I'm not having a full time/ part time debate here. I'm talking about players turning down/ leaving clubs at a higher level to play for a 'lesser' team that suits them better, as Blair Yule has done in your opinion. My point is regarding 'ambition', it's just that full time clubs invariably are at a higher level than part time clubs. We'll go with one more example....

Colin Hamilton turned down staying at Alloa, when they were favourites to win League 1 having just been relegated to join ourselves who had just finished 9th in League 2. Was Hammy showing a lack of ambition by doing this, and would you be disappointed in him for his lack of ambition in the same way you would be with Blair Yule?

Blair Yule put in a great shift for us last year, I thought he was very promising and I am disappointed he's left as I really liked him as a player. There is a big difference between being disappointed he's left and being disappointed in him though. I would also add that in my opinion he didn't 'pack it in'. Gavin Swankie packed it in at Forfar, Blair Yule asked for a move and was allowed to leave when a suitable bid came in. Surely if you had any issue with players 'packing it in' then you wouldn't have Gavin Swankie as your profile picture :lol:

As far as I can see Blair Yule has done everything right here; he gave his all and was fully committed to us for the season he was here, he now knows he can't be fully committed to us anymore and requested to leave. He stayed as our player and respected the club/ his contract until a bid was accepted for him and he then left the club.

An alternate way to look at this, and one no-one has mentioned yet, is players taking a wage and giving bare minimum back. Would we be happy if Blair Yule was taking a good wage from us for the next year, but he was unable to attend training half the time and missed some midweek games due to work? In that situation, he wouldn't be fulfilling his contract and I would be dissapointed in him. Why would I have been disappointed in him? Because he knows when we train and when we play, and if he couldn't fully commit to that we shouldn't be paying him to do a job he knows he cannot do.

I bet if the above was the case, and Yule was looking unfit in games and missing important matches, people would be furious with him for not committing properly to the club and not earning his wage.

I agree. Players come to us mainly because they f*cking love toy trains and want to be on the railway. Absolutely normal.

Crazy discussion, He wants to leave for personal reasons, good luck to him, Totally Agree part time football is not the most important thing in his life, the traveling could be affecting his job or personal life, 

I’m sure the funds will be put back into strengthening the squad so hopefully Dick has someone in mind.

I wouldn't read too much into the amount of signings.   I think when you look at all the other clubs in the division, we had one of the smallest amount of players departing due to the quality we already have and on longer deals, for example where as Airdrie may have brought in 11 players, they let go of 12.

Dick and Pick after quality.  We have a strong squad of 17

Departures (including loans)

Airdrieonians - 12

Arbroath - 6

Brechin City - 13

Dumbarton - 21

East Fife - 15

Forfar Athletic - 10

Montrose - 7

Raith Rovers - 14

Stenhousemuir - 12

Stranraer - 13

http://nareystoepoker.blogspot.com/p/here-you-can-find-all-this-winters.html

I wouldn't read too much into the amount of signings.   I think when you look at all the other clubs in the division, we had one of the smallest amount of players departing due to the quality we already have and on longer deals, for example where as Airdrie may have brought in 11 players, they let go of 12.
Dick and Pick after quality.  We have a strong squad of 17
Departures (including loans)
Airdrieonians - 12
Arbroath - 6
Brechin City - 13
Dumbarton - 21
East Fife - 15
Forfar Athletic - 10
Montrose - 7
Raith Rovers - 14
Stenhousemuir - 12
Stranraer - 13
http://nareystoepoker.blogspot.com/p/here-you-can-find-all-this-winters.html

Dumbarton let go 21 players? Geez. Whole new squad needed. Sounds good for us.