The Arbroath Thread

Spoke to Mikey at the awards on Saturday . First of all a great guy who loves the club but appears it’s not working out with Jim in charge. 
A vert difficult player to replace for more than one reason. Has technical ability as well as the attitude . I remain hopeful he is ours until anything is announced otherwise. You know how easy rumours spread !

3 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

Spoke to Mikey at the awards on Saturday . First of all a great guy who loves the club but appears it’s not working out with Jim in charge. 
A vert difficult player to replace for more than one reason. Has technical ability as well as the attitude . I remain hopeful he is ours until anything is announced otherwise. You know how easy rumours spread !

How did you get a seat to the awards when they were never advertised. Not being negative towards you i am just curious 

2 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

How did you get a seat to the awards when they were never advertised. Not being negative towards you i am just curious 

I was invited onto a table through someone’s business. Sorry !

17 minutes ago, Anotherlichtie said:

Hello Ali Adams.

13 minutes ago, Monkfish85 said:

I was invited onto a table through someone’s business. Sorry !

No need to apologise and I hope you had a lovely evening. But you have helped me prove my point. This night was never meant to be for supporters. It’s for businesses and sponsors. And it looks like they were the only guests who were given the opportunity to purchase a table. That’s totally unforgivable and a punch in the mouth of the support who in all fairness have stayed loyal to the club through 2 horrible seasons. 

4 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

Michael Mckenna, can play as an 8, 10 or at a push upfront. Very good technically, has a knack of arriving in the box at the right time and takes a decent set piece.

Have I missed anything?

Likes a tackle, is fiercely competitive, knows the Championship as well as anyone. 

Has also been really inconsistent over the past 2 seasons. 

Usually when sponsors put money into a club they usually get something back in return. Tickets to games that they can hand to friends/family/employees etc , invites to the boardroom for games, corporate events, etc etc. Just part of the game. Nothing sleekit.

And that also includes tables at awards dinners where they get to sell these seats to people they know. Last year i am sure there was a number of seats advertised by the club. This year the tables were all full up. 

Club has expanded with the womens teams so that has probably ment that there was no extra tables this year to sell to Joe Bloggs as they got a share of the tables.

Next time there is a chance to interact with the board at a meeting, if someone is that bothered by not getting a chance to go to the awards, perhaps they can come along and raise the question with the board.

No matter how much we wanted to keep him I imagine the prospect of working with McGlynn and playing for a club the size of Falkirk and maybe having a chance to go up and be part of a Premiership squad would be too hard to turn down at this stage in his career. Would never get another opportunity like that. 

1 hour ago, RedLichtie86 said:

McKenna has been offered a deal. JMc wants to play him up front but he is reluctant as he knows himself he is not as effective at playing up front.

If we’re really going 442 Mikey is not a good fit. Ineffective out wide, and not disciplined or technical enough to anchor central midfield. Would have to be second striker. If he’s not happy there it would be a problem. 

3 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

Usually when sponsors put money into a club they usually get something back in return. Tickets to games that they can hand to friends/family/employees etc , invites to the boardroom for games, corporate events, etc etc. Just part of the game. Nothing sleekit.

And that also includes tables at awards dinners where they get to sell these seats to people they know. Last year i am sure there was a number of seats advertised by the club. This year the tables were all full up. 

Club has expanded with the womens teams so that has probably ment that there was no extra tables this year to sell to Joe Bloggs as they got a share of the tables.

Next time there is a chance to interact with the board at a meeting, if someone is that bothered by not getting a chance to go to the awards, perhaps they can come along and raise the question with the board.

I’m not really that fussed about attending myself, but if they can’t find a bigger place to host it then an option might be organising a separate sponsors evening so that more regular supporters can attend POTY. One of the things that really got me hooked supporting AFC, and something that I see as a huge advantage over my mates who support the old firm etc, is being able to easily access the players and get to know them a bit. 

8 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

I’m not really that fussed about attending myself, but if they can’t find a bigger place to host it then an option might be organising a separate sponsors evening so that more regular supporters can attend POTY. One of the things that really got me hooked supporting AFC, and something that I see as a huge advantage over my mates who support the old firm etc, is being able to easily access the players and get to know them a bit. 

Well said 👍🏻

12 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

If that is indeed all true then it needs changed going forward. 

The future of the club from a playing perspective right now looks pretty rosey 

3 years (until end of 26/27 season) -

Thomas O’Brien

2 years (until end of 25/26 season) - 

Scott Stewart

Calum Gallagher 

David Gold 

1 year (until end of 24/25 season) - 

Leighton McIntosh

Craig Slater

Gordon Walker

Aaron Steele

Mark Stowe

Ryan Dow

Colin Hamilton

It will be interesting to see what our first few signings of the Summer window are.

We have been linked with Grady McGrath although I think he may end up at Montrose. Being a Dundee lad and they train in Dundee and Perth, plus he might think he will get more game time there.

I would like to see us be in for someone like Reece Lyon, part time, captain at Kelty although not sure if he wants to go back FT or not or if he’s going to stay at Kelty. There are actually another couple of players there who would be good signings, unfortunately Kyle Gourlay signed on for 2 years he’d be an ideal keeper for us and has worked with McIntyre previously. 

Stuart Morrison at Forfar would also be worth looking at I think. 

It’ll be an interesting summer and hopefully more like the ones of old where we signed well known guys who’d played in the leagues and done well at a part time level. Had become seriously scunnered of the way we tried to do our business the previous 2 pre seasons.

13 hours ago, philpy said:

He's definitely going to Falkirk. Was speaking to his dad earlier. Been offered 2 training sessions a week so he can still run his business. 

Hope he has it in writing as James Keatings said McGlynn was well aware he could only train a couple of times a week due to managing injuries when he signed him at Rovers then insisted he trained every day.