The Arbroath Thread

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We have been linked with Grady McGrath although I think he may end up at Montrose. Being a Dundee lad and they train in Dundee and Perth, plus he might think he will get more game time there.

Maybe league 2 with Forfar might be a better step up for him. Shanks hasn't exactly stormed at Peterhead. Hester, too hasn't blitzed at Montrose compared to Elgin. Not saying they've done bad mind.

It's going to be like most signings from lower levels...a bit of a lottery.

1 minute ago, Leicesterlichtie said:

Maybe league 2 with Forfar might be a better step up for him. Shanks hasn't exactly stormed at Peterhead. Hester, too hasn't blitzed at Montrose compared to Elgin. Not saying they've done bad mind.

It's going to be like most signings from lower levels...a bit of a lottery.

Shanks is 12th on the list of top goalscorers with 8 goals, and 3rd on assists, with the second most assists in the league.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-league-two/top-scorers/assists

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Monkfish85 said:

I was invited onto a table through someone’s business. Sorry !

Don't apologise - just cause you've got some good, generous mates.

Edited by DUAFC

I'd argue part of our problem in the last few years has been our poor signings from 5th/ 6th tier clubs in Scotland. Dylan Paterson, now back at tier 5 with Linlithgow Rose, Kieran Shanks back in tier 4 with Peterhead and averaging 1 goal fom open play every 5ish games and Mark Stowe, who has massively struggled with the jump from tier 6 too tier 2, as almost any player would.

I'd much prefer to see us signing up proven L1 players, or players who have consistently proven themselves as they've gradually moved up the levels. In terms of forward options, players like Tommy Goss at Annan who has proven himself in L2, then L1, and has much more to his all round game than goals which puts him ahead of guys like Shanks and Hester for me. Asking relatively young players to jump up from tier 5/6 and be able to do a job as regular starters in tier 2/3 is a huge ask and verging on unfair on the players themselves.

If we could get a sniff at Alfie Bavidge on loan next season that'd also be absolutely outstanding. If Alfredo Agyeman leaves Falkirk this summer I don't think he'd get a full time club, and I think he'd be an excellent addition also.

39 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'd argue part of our problem in the last few years has been our poor signings from 5th/ 6th tier clubs in Scotland. Dylan Paterson, now back at tier 5 with Linlithgow Rose,

To be fair, I don’t think it’s fair putting Paterson in this category. Boy came in, scored the winner vs St Mirren, scored vs Cowdenbeath and then seemingly never really got much of a sniff after that

1 hour ago, SimonLichtie said:

I'd argue part of our problem in the last few years has been our poor signings from 5th/ 6th tier clubs in Scotland. Dylan Paterson, now back at tier 5 with Linlithgow Rose, Kieran Shanks back in tier 4 with Peterhead and averaging 1 goal fom open play every 5ish games and Mark Stowe, who has massively struggled with the jump from tier 6 too tier 2, as almost any player would.

I'd much prefer to see us signing up proven L1 players, or players who have consistently proven themselves as they've gradually moved up the levels. In terms of forward options, players like Tommy Goss at Annan who has proven himself in L2, then L1, and has much more to his all round game than goals which puts him ahead of guys like Shanks and Hester for me. Asking relatively young players to jump up from tier 5/6 and be able to do a job as regular starters in tier 2/3 is a huge ask and verging on unfair on the players themselves.

If we could get a sniff at Alfie Bavidge on loan next season that'd also be absolutely outstanding. If Alfredo Agyeman leaves Falkirk this summer I don't think he'd get a full time club, and I think he'd be an excellent addition also.

Agyeman still has a year left on his contract I don't see him going anywhere. He hasn't been a regular starter but he has made an impact off the bench, his power and pace scares defenders even if sometimes it looks like he doesn't know what he's going to do next. 

16 hours ago, Anotherlichtie said:

If that is indeed all true then it needs changed going forward. 

Sadly that's how sport and business work together nowadays. The club needs every penny. 

That said, I think you make a good point of including everyone. 

25 minutes ago, SimonLichtie said:

image.gif.55fad19c184b1401deaa0dd120905c5e.gif

So.... what game is this, and what happens next? ;) 

Away to QOS. Andy Cargill scores from halfway. Lobbing the ball over Andy Goram 

On 30/04/2024 at 18:40, Anotherlichtie said:

No need to apologise and I hope you had a lovely evening. But you have helped me prove my point. This night was never meant to be for supporters. It’s for businesses and sponsors. And it looks like they were the only guests who were given the opportunity to purchase a table. That’s totally unforgivable and a punch in the mouth of the support who in all fairness have stayed loyal to the club through 2 horrible seasons. 

Without being too harsh, football is a business and the reality is for lower league clubs that sponsorship generates a large majority of the cash. So they need to play to these masses. Additionally, I know they did auction items so they need to get people in the room that they think will have the pockets to chuck plenty cash at this. They know that the majority of season tickets holders will have blind loyalty no matter what. 

Keaghan Jacobs away to Gala Fairydean Rovers - seemed a lovely lovely chap and a good guy to have in the squad but on the park think he was a bit broken. Done a no bad job at times but overall absolutely best for him to move on and definitely a year too late. Cheers Dick…. 

That’s probably his level at this stage in his career. Had the pleasure of talking to him a few times and he was a genuine guy. Wish him all the best 

Posted (edited)

He had a rough start for us last season, but whenever he was called on this season, he didn't put a foot wrong.  However, I don't think he has the attributes we need.  Doesn't quite have the pace or the physicality any more.  Can't criticise his attitude though!  Its probably a good move to wind his career down, and I hope he does well there.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

14 minutes ago, lichtiemike said:

I thought when we were down the bare bones and he came on he looked pretty good, then never got a sniff again, weird one. 

Sent off against Morton IIRC and then maybe played once? 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Sent off against Morton IIRC and then maybe played once? 

I don’t think that changes what I saw at all, he was playing well before getting unfairly sent off in my eyes. It warranted more of a chance in my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, lichtiemike said:

I don’t think that changes what I saw at all, he was playing well before getting unfairly sent off in my eyes. It warranted more of a chance in my opinion. 

McIntyre clearly didn’t rate him. Went with McKinnon (who I think has been poor) ahead of him