The Arbroath Thread

Just throwing my 2p worth into the conversation, feel free to tell me to f**k off. I am genuinely amazed that McIntyre seems safe in his job. 10 (ten) losses on the bounce, GD of -27 in that run.

Having had a quick look at the results, in the final third of the season, Arbroath have conceded 4 or more goals in 50% of games.

Regardless of poorly assembled squad / injuries / known relegation was likely for a while, that's just mental. 

27 minutes ago, AFC360PUNK1320 said:

I cannot wait to read Simon's take on this (even he would have to come up with a JFK or MLK type speech to convince me lol) and Simon is like Nimmy imo the TOP Red Lichtie fans and supporters i respect so i do always read his posts, some i agree with and some i disagree with which i am sure he does with mine.   

Appreciate your kind words, and entirely agree regarding agreeing/ disagreeing on things, that's football :) There are plenty of people on here I've disagreed with/ argued with/ bickered with on and off all season regarding AFC, absolutely nothing personal against anyone. I'm sure there are plenty of people who think my opinions are mainly pish as well.... sometimes I think I'm one of them :D

In terms of Jim McIntyre, I absolutely understand people wanting him gone, and have done for 6+ weeks. There are plenty of reasons to have a go at him, but there are also many things that have gone against him that he's had absolutely no control over. People have to see both sides - there is no 'McIntyre has got everything wrong' and there is no 'none of this is McIntyre's fault'. There is a combination of a million and one things that have resulted in us being where we are, and Jim McIntyre's failure are obviously one of them. I'm not making any 'he should stay' arguments, I'm more making 'he is staying' ones and instead of going round in circles I think it's much better for everyone if we put this season behind us very quickly and start looking at the coming one. I don't understand why some people are so focused on McIntyre. The way our squad shapes up for the next year/ two years is far, far more important than if he is our manager at the moment or not. If you think it's going to go badly, and it does, then he's out the door in October. We still retain the playing squad, the players we've signed etc..... Jim McIntyre will not be at the club forever, regardless of if he does well next year or not....

In my opinion, the board will have analysed the situation at some point around March/ early April and knowing the plans that are in place for next season, they have decided to continue with Jim McIntyre in charge. This means that the last 4/5 games would have had absolutely no bearing on the decision that was come to at that point. If this is the case, then the decision to keep him based on the plans/ how things are shaping up for next season won't have suddenly changed so massively that the decision should be reversed. In terms of medium/ long term planning it would be completely correct that these 4/5 games would have no effect on a decision made regarding the following season. Assuming there was a 'decision' made, is it the right one? I've no idea. I'm not saying it is, I'm not saying it isn't.

Everyone, player or manager, comes and goes, but while they represent Arbroath FC and are giving as much as they have to the club, I'll support them. As a supporter of the club, I don't really see an alternative.....!

Just watched the highlights - about 1 minute 30 in the build up to the first goal totally sums the season up. Ball goes out on halfway for a throw in and everyone switches off allowing them to get it unopposed and score. You kind of need to see it to see how bad it is. 
One thing I’ll say is Norey didn’t have a great time of it tonight at RB. Was beaten multiple times. BUT he was not signed as a RB. When he was further up the pitch tonight he had some good touches, looked composed on the ball and made a couple of good slipped passes. I would really like to see him given a chance for next season in league 1 and showed with MOTM award this years he can play

McIntyre is a fucking charlatan and a fraud who’s ruined any goodwill he had during the injury crisis. There is absolutely no doubt that we would struggle this year but the way we’ve just sank is embarrassing. No fight, no desire, just meek acceptance. I don’t feel too strongly that a manager should have the same sort of connection with the fans that maybe Sheerin and definitely Campbell had but McIntyre makes me not want to go to games. He’s a disgrace of a manager and his signings so far have been fucking shocking. The board should have gutted him weeks ago. I fail to see how we get anywhere positive with him in charge. He just feels toxic and it’s a shame that the board don’t seem to want to read the room.

I don’t want to criticise the board in any way because they have done absolute wonders for the club on and off the pitch but I find it really hard to see how they think giving McIntyre a shot next season is a good move. I feel like if we’re still in the same position next year we’ve shot ourselves in the foot by not taking the most obvious solution - sacking McIntyre.

Really trying to be objective but I don’t think I’ve ever hated a manager as much as McIntyre. Same excuses every week, absolute shite on the park, just stands there arms folded, absolutely hopeless fraud of a man who needs to be a million miles away from Gayfield.

If that was indeed Gaston and Mckennas last game it's an absolute disgrace they didn't start the game,

Two club legends who should of been given the chance to play from start 100% 

Out of curiosity did the manager come over at end to applaud the travelling support,

Been going to arbroath games for over 20 years and this is the worst spell i can remember, we’re not just getting beat we’re getting battered every week. Thank f**k the season is over but im seriously considering not renewing my season ticket until that clown is gone.

1 minute ago, RedLichtie86 said:

The start of next season is all that matters.

Can you recall a single time in history, and I'm including every manager appointed to every football club since football was started, when a manager turned around a record like McIntyre has had (THREE 5-0 scuddings in his last 4 games!) and made a success of things?

That was another tough watch.  I can’t ever recall such a bad run of defeats, especially heavy defeats.  Fair play to the 150+ Lichties who didn’t leave early and applauded the team at the end for their effort.   I too will be buying a season ticket early, as a supporter rather than fickle consumer

In truth, it looked mostly like there was more than a division between the sides but the goals highlighted where the immediate problem has been all season.  Their winger skinned Norey, a makeshift right back in our everchanging makeshift defence, three times for the first three goals and heads go down maybe also insufficient cover from midfield.  Our competitive seasons in the Championship were based heavily on a solid, well-organised defence - rebuilding that is priority critical in mitigating the threat of relegation next season (and with sone additional cover).

After some battling performances (eg Dunfermline away), it’s hard to discern why we have fallen away so poorly even with bodies back - albeit the critical defensive area has never stabilised.  I find the ‘sack the manager’ argument found here and on every other thread utterly shallow and tedious and yet this string of results and performances has raised doubts.   I’m happy enough to wait and see how things can be turned around over the next 6 months.

League One will be tough as we have found out repeatedly in years gone by.  Can we regain some degree of competitiveness after these demoralising months?  The real supporters will continue to be tested.

20 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Can you recall a single time in history, and I'm including every manager appointed to every football club since football was started, when a manager turned around a record like McIntyre has had (THREE 5-0 scuddings in his last 4 games!) and made a success of things?

There's always a 1st for everything. We'll see how it pans out.

8 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

To the people who’ve been wanting McIntyre sacked for a good while - who would you like to see replace him?

Brian Graham or Steven Whittaker for me. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

To the people who’ve been wanting McIntyre sacked for a good while - who would you like to see replace him?

Anyone, at the moment, cannot think how anyone else could be worse

5 minutes ago, lichtiemike said:

Brian Graham or Steven Whittaker for me. 

Tbf, think Graham is a more than decent shout
i know we struck gold with the appointment of Paul Sheerin, player manager, maybe it’s time to not dismiss this as an option

Edited by ecto

3 minutes ago, ecto said:

Anyone, at the moment, cannot think how anyone else could be worse

Tbf, think Graham is a more than decent shout

The job he’s done with Thistle women has been remarkable given the resources the bigger teams have at that level, and of course in L1 you’d also gain a leading striker. 

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, AUcal said:

200_1667161107554.gif.336ffdb88496e88cb861c609439b6252.gif

I'd be happy with Whittaker.  Did reasonably well at part time level previously and ambitious.

Whether he'd want to come to us now though is highly doubtful.

Edited by ExiledLichtie

1 hour ago, ExiledLichtie said:

😂😂😂

This is incredible - would two 5-0s and a 4-0 be ok or is it only 5-0s?