The Arbroath Thread

You're just explaining why I find it a chore here, it's a chore because Lumsden is there and I feel like we're going backwards which is frustrating.

Can't remember the last time I enjoyed watching us and felt confident in where we were going.

It's been a downward spiral all year, it's utterly depressing.

Was it not around this time last year that you were winning most games, playing some good stuff and scoring for fun? Every team goes through a bad spell, you'll come through it.

Was it not around this time last year that you were winning most games, playing some good stuff and scoring for fun? Every team goes through a bad spell, you'll come through it.

Look at our results from 2015 Reekie, this is more than a spell. We've beat you, Shire, East Fife, Brora, Stirling and Berwick x2. That's it.

The results in this calendar year have been nothing less than horrific

I've been a right moany p***k on here the last week, but the fact we don't seem to want to do anything about this is really starting to annoy me. The cold hard facts are there for everybody to see, why we don't want to address them and why people are getting angry at others for pointing them out, I don't understand.

I know what you mean, 3 old guys in front of me moaning from the kick off not using names but numbers 5,8 and 9 calling them f**king useless.

They forgot about the conditions which were terrible

This is one of my biggest pet hates at football - a teams own fans not bothering to learn the players names? :blink: Slightly understandable in pre-season, but by this time in the season it's ridiculous.

It's never a 'fucking chore'. Sometimes you go expecting to win. Sometimes you go expecting to lose. Either way, you're either disappointed or delighted at the final whistle.

I'm going to Cumbernauld on Saturday (weather permitting). Our league position has no bearing on that decision.

Hearts was good, Brora was a good trip, albeit we were slightly lucky, Shire away was good. That's 3 recent games, at least one of which I know you were at.

I'm no apologist for Todd, but the season isn't over yet. Believe it or not, I'm hopeful we can get at least a point on Saturday, and a further 4 or 6 in the next 2 games after that. If I'm wrong, then so be it, but every fan in this league appreciates that someone has to finish last.

If it's us, and we lose the playoff, then I'll look forward to the new grounds. Until then, however, I'll look forward to watching AFC whenever I can, and won't consider any trip to be a chore.

I also 100% agree with your comment that the fans NEED to get behind the team over the next 5 months. Berating and abusing the team will do nothing but make the situation worse, getting behind them and supporting them through a very difficult time can only have a positive effect. Why would anyone do the former considering how detrimental it is? It's absolutely baffling.

I just don't understand what Simon is expecting the reaction to be to the way things are at the moment. If this was any other club in this country or any other country the fans would be behaving exactly the same way. It's football. If some people want to be happy clappers then fair enough. In the same way if some people want to moan then that's also fair enough.

I agree that most other clubs would have fans behaving in the same way. That doesn't make it acceptable to me though. I don't see someone being a c**t in the pub or whatever and think 'oh, well if they're behaving like that so can I'. I think to myself, wow, what a c**t, I would never behave like that.....

I don't think anyone is being a happy clapper here. In the last week I've said I believe the managements time at the club is up, and I believe we have been piss poor all season, and the standard of this division is terrible as it is. The difference is, I've said this alongside trying to look at positives and support the team, I've not come along and said 'LUMSDENS PURE SHIT AN MUST GO, CLUB ARE A JOKE!!!111!!' because that doesn't help the situation whatsoever. I've tried to be constructive about it.

The reality is no other club with our record would still have lumsden as manager, plenty of clubs (forfar spring to mind) who have only had a short run of bad results and parted company, some may say we're being loyal towards lumsden but iv got a feeling its more to do with the 2 year contract he was given!

I think far too much is being made of this surposid 2 year deal. I don't know anything for 100%, I expect no-one outside of the board and Todd himself know the exact details (quite rightly) but there is absolutely no chance we appointed Todd on a 2 year deal without any clauses whatsoever. From what I have heard, there certainly are clauses in the contract, and if we were to sack Todd there is no chance the board would be in a position where they had to pay up the rest of the 2 years. I would expect there will be some form of clause allowing us to part ways at the cost of a month or two's wages. The board have plenty of experience appointing managers and negotiating contracts for them, as well as having a lawyer on the board currently. If I am wrong on this, which I very much doubt having heard things from multiple 'sources' as it were, then the board have obviously fucked up massively and it would be an absolute joke for us to appoint ANY manager on a two year deal with no clauses built into the contract.

2015 has been an awful, awful year for us. However, 2011 (I think it was 2011) was a superb year for us, winning the 3rd division and then being right up the top of the 2nd. Football at this level is swings and roundabouts, you have good seasons and bad seasons, good years and bad years. You never appreciate the good times properly if you don't suffer through the bad times. Also, as I said previously, it is in the bad times that the team need the support far more than the good times, yet it's at times like these the fans are at their worst (understandably to an extent). It's very frustrating to read/ hear, knowing that your clubs own fans are behaving in a way that is detrimental to the fans/ club.

Another thing I would add, is that I absolutely guarentee you that when a lot of players at our level are approached regarding signing for a club they do a bit of research, having a chat with their mates in the game, any players they know at the club approaching them and having a wee look online to see what the fans are saying. In the last month or two, I believe Todd has been trying very hard to get players in and has not been able to do so. I am certainly not suggesting the reason for this is what fans are posting online, but I am saying that it is potentially a factor. Who wants to join a club where the fans think the manager is a c**t, the players are shit and they will be on your back from the minute you make your debut?

I think the comment about moaning and complaining about the team is pretty universal at football grounds anywhere and at any level.

I'm trying to think of the last time I saw Arbroath play good football and keeping the ball on the ground instead of big high kicks up the park for anyone in the area to chase. It was probably in Sheerin's time as manager. So maybe if there was some improvement in the standard of football being played it might cut back on the complaining. Some of the football recently even allowing for the weather conditions has been like pub team football.

Fair enough then and very well put. You know me, you know I've been behind him up until now, this isn't some knee jerk reaction im just wanting the best for the club like everybody else on here and expressing my current opinion.

I'll always be in support of the team and players regardless. I think we have a good group of players and I really hope we start doing better soon.

2 points.

1.Simon has too much time on his hands.

2. I we can't agree then I suggest that Gayfield introduces segregation at home games.

The "Happy Clappers" will use the Pleasureland end where their joyful shouts of encouragement (for both teams) will mingle with the happy laughter from the children nearby on the waltzers.

The "Pissed off Punters" can use the Harbour end where their bad tempered berating of the Manager and team will be drowned out by the calls of the gulls.

At the halfway line the "Stoic Supporters" can gather. From there both the Manager and players will be able to hear the sage advice on tactics and playing technique put politely by this expert group.

Don't worry about picking the wrong group as transfers will be possible in the January Window.

Merry Christmas

2 points.

1.Simon has too much time on his hands.

2. I we can't agree then I suggest that Gayfield introduces segregation at home games.

The "Happy Clappers" will use the Pleasureland end where their joyful shouts of encouragement (for both teams) will mingle with the happy laughter from the children nearby on the waltzers.

The "Pissed off Punters" can use the Harbour end where their bad tempered berating of the Manager and team will be drowned out by the calls of the gulls.

At the halfway line the "Stoic Supporters" can gather. From there both the Manager and players will be able to hear the sage advice on tactics and playing technique put politely by this expert group.

Don't worry about picking the wrong group as transfers will be possible in the January Window.

Merry Christmas

Typical. The committee even get the segregation wrong. Why should the unhappy fans be subjected to the end that the prevailing wind & rain blow directly into?

I'll not be back until they can guarantee decent weather and free transport home after the match.

There will always be moronic supporters who hurl abuse at players,it ain't right but it happens and it is always the supporters with the loudest voices but they are a small minority of the support,what really irks me is when the team is doing well like when SHEERIN had the team at their best and their still moaning but it is just the way these people are and i kinda feel sorry for them being permanently unhappy but not all Arbroath supporters are like that,just recently we were 4-0 down against Cowden after 30 or so minutes but i didn't see anyone leave then and there was very little abuse being hurled at the team considering so we ain't a bad support all round imo,and yeah Simon..way too much time on yer hands.....ha-ha

Sorry lads for my limited knowledge. I'm a Killie fan and was yapping away to a bloke at Yodel in Perth today who was telling me he played for Arbroath in the 70's. I couldn't remember the name but I've since googled it.

Derek Rylance was his name (hat-trick at Hampden v Celtic in 1972! Gaun urself son.

Any memories lads? Smashing bloke.

Sorry lads for my limited knowledge. I'm a Killie fan and was yapping away to a bloke at Yodel in Perth today who was telling me he played for Arbroath in the 70's. I couldn't remember the name but I've since googled it.

Derek Rylance was his name (hat-trick at Hampden v Celtic in 1972! Gaun urself son.

Yeah mo i remember Derek Rylance,he was part of the best Arbroath team i've seen,played full back if i remember correctly,excellent player,think he had a sweep over haircut but he was so good we didn't mind,could do with his like in our defence just now,ah the seventies it was good being an Arbroath supporter then,Eric Sellars,John Fletcher, Tommy Yule,Jimmy Bone etc happy days.

A great player for us in the 70s. Part of the Centenary team. Played at no 4, a really tireless defensive midfielder.