All things Dundee FC

We were always strongest attacking and getting plenty goals last season so it has been a bit of shock to see Hartley add to that instead of addressing the defence problem that's caused us so many points. Maybe he's spent the summer teaching the boys how to defend a cross ball? That would be good.

20 minutes ago, Chateau Lafite said:

Early days, so no panic, but from reading the posts here, we need to quickly sort out the right back and midfield.

IMO both full backs took a hard time last season due to the narrow midfield leaving them exposed. When three centre halfs played the praise the full backs got was notable. Hartleys biggest problem is being too stubborn to accept that his tactics aren't working and changing them, unless he changes his style then we are in for a tough season. Its been asked many times by fans, why don't we play to our strengths and play players in their strongest positions instead of shoe horning them into to a formation that doesn't suit???

If Hartley wants to play a specific style then he needs to get players that can play it, if they cant adapt then he needs to change his tactics.

On ‎16‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 18:28, srw said:

Its too early for negativity, but Hartley is a twat.

Poor signings, we need Harkins playing, negative style of play. Cant stand Hartley.

Hiya Gary, hiya pal.

Arab here in peace!!!!! Promise!!!!! [emoji9] didn't expect to see so much negativity in here. 1 glorified friendly which didn't go to plan but several players missing. Surely no need for battening down the hatches already. Is this abuse of Hartley really called for? I think he's done ok by you guys. I've noticed the new signings haven't been flooding in but it's still ear,y days and there's no chance of you guys being caught up in relegation battle long term imo. As for harkins, well from what I've seen of him he's not really a reliable go to guy, far too slow imo and not gonna play every minute of every game so getting rid can't be that bad. Has he and Hartley had a fallout or something? Surely after last season and Hartleys impact you should be getting behind him and putting some trust in him. He did give you an unbeaten season against us and the obvious relegation of us to celebrate [emoji13]. What do you lot think is needed to help push you on to better last season's league placings and improved cup runs?
I'm expecting the usual "dab barstud" and "back to the championshit" but I am interested to know. Would rather have 2 good dundee teams but alas it's up to you lot just now.

Arab here in peace!!!!! Promise!!!!! [emoji9] didn't expect to see so much negativity in here. 1 glorified friendly which didn't go to plan but several players missing. Surely no need for battening down the hatches already. Is this abuse of Hartley really called for? I think he's done ok by you guys. I've noticed the new signings haven't been flooding in but it's still ear,y days and there's no chance of you guys being caught up in relegation battle long term imo. As for harkins, well from what I've seen of him he's not really a reliable go to guy, far too slow imo and not gonna play every minute of every game so getting rid can't be that bad. Has he and Hartley had a fallout or something? Surely after last season and Hartleys impact you should be getting behind him and putting some trust in him. He did give you an unbeaten season against us and the obvious relegation of us to celebrate [emoji13]. What do you lot think is needed to help push you on to better last season's league placings and improved cup runs?

I'm expecting the usual "dab barstud" and "back to the championshit" but I am interested to know. Would rather have 2 good dundee teams but alas it's up to you lot just now.

It's always nice to come for a wee visit upstairs. I think the negativity is more frustration than anything else. Saturday was a frustrating game against a side who I think will push for promotion to the championship. You are right, we had a number of our first pick players out, a number of new signings making their debuts and a half fit Hemmings proving he can still score from nothing.

Saturday was exactly what you said it was, a glorified pre season game. I don't think any of us are really too worried about it but I think it's safe to say we were all frustrated as we expected, with the pool of players we have, to have won that game. It's really not the end of the world.

As for the signings- we as usual, did most of our business early. Before last season had finished we had Vincent and Williams signed up from Caley, we have brought in Tijesse, Duffy and O'Hara (who I think looks a potentially very good player). We are expected to bring in a new defender and if, as it now seems likely, we lose Jeebs then I would image we would look to secure a replacement. Given that we have the majority of last seasons team with the new guys on top, I actually think we are better in terms of playing staff than we have been in our last two seasons. The only player I would have like to have kept from last season is McGinn but I think Kerr is a capable replacement (albeit he has a bit of learning to do.)

Dundee fans, in the main, are right behind Hartley but there will always be an element of any support who don't like their manager.

With a weeks extra training under our belts, the return of Greg Stewart and a point to prove after last week I fully expect the team to push on and improve on last season.

This time of year throws up all sorts of funny results as players get fit and get to know each other, new systems etc etc. You only have to look back two years when we were pumping Man City at Dens. That would never happen mid season.

Well done to you lot tonight, knocking 6 past a league two team is no mean feat. ;P Dunfermline look a decent team. With an improved St Mirren, the Hibbes and Falkirk too, you lot have your hands full downstairs!

Cheers for the pleasantries scottdee. I actually forgot bout the signings you made earlier. I reckon Vincent can do well for you. The Dutch guy is obviously an unknown quantity but good luck wi that, hopefully he can replace the goals of Stewart who I don't think you'll have for much longer. Reckon Nick Ross will be stronger this year and going forward I really don't see losing jeebs as a bad thing in the long run. McGinn for me is a money chasing p***k and probably didn't give you his best as he thinks he's better than he is (IMO). Like I said I think Hartley isn't the worst man you could have at the helm. At least he knows his mind and is willing to go with it. The arrogance he had as a player isn't as obvious as a manager but it's still there and it appears he can make his own mind up which as a manager isn't a bad thing especially when there's dissention amongst the support, as it doesn't always make him popular. I personally think you guys will be fine and won't have any real worries. Hated him as a player but that's a compliment to his attitude, single minded and strong. Keeping hold of Hemmings would be huge bonus cos the guy certainly knows where the goal is. Think you boys definitely need a good cup run, especially to appease the dissenters but change of league cup might not help as the glorified friendlies can definitely catch a few teams out. Then again getting out of the group can be a stepping stone as I hope it is for us. Good win tonight for us after a fairly placid game v arbroath but it all helps towards getting into the groove for league campaign. I personally think you guys are on the right road but don't try to rush it. Consolidation first is key in the premiership, just look at the highland teams for that. Afterwards anything is possible. Looks like you have a good chairman/owner who isn't in it for the quick fix, think his ideas are good eg. Game in America and rebranding of league as in how to sell it. It is a hardy league and outwith the OF there's not a lot in it. Best of luck for the new season gents (honestly), doesn't mean I won't be back to have a go tho lol. Lastly, when are you boys playing Forfar in the Forfarshire cup, a tasty wee dundee derby semi to look forward to of ye win. Can never get enough of the dundee derby, best derby in Scotland by miles :-)
Lots of love
Eck.

Dundee managers don't do 3 seasons and above. You have to go back to Duffy's very first stint for a manager to have been at our club for 3 full on seasons which if I'm not mistaken was 22 year ago. Hartley will be gone somepoint soon. Whether that's to better things or hounded out in typical Dundee fashion remains to be seen.

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Dundee managers don't do 3 seasons and above. 

Probably because they were all a bunch of useless c***s (with Duffy at the top of the list). We've had three decent managers in my time watching Dundee, Knox, Mackay, and Hartley.*

*although I don't agree with punting Harkins.

Probably because they were all a bunch of useless c***s (with Duffy at the top of the list). We've had three decent managers in my time watching Dundee, Knox, Mackay, and Hartley.*

Jocky is due another go soon having represented us in every decade since the 60s. And we need to replace Jocky with either Duffy or Smith to take on the cycle.

2 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I thought Duffy in his first spell with us was decent, and to a large extent his hands were tied by Dixon. His second stint was of course fucking diabolical. The worst manager we've had in my time was probably Kernaghan. Dave "Coco" Smith was also shit, but he did (somehow) do the double over Celtic in his short stint. On the minus side he applauded the DABs off the park after a 0-3 spanking at Dens and did that ridiculous thing where he addressed the fans over the PA system before home games.

1 hour ago, jupe1407 said:

I thought Duffy in his first spell with us was decent, and to a large extent his hands were tied by Dixon. His second stint was of course fucking diabolical. The worst manager we've had in my time was probably Kernaghan. Dave "Coco" Smith was also shit, but he did (somehow) do the double over Celtic in his short stint. On the minus side he applauded the DABs off the park after a 0-3 spanking at Dens and did that ridiculous thing where he addressed the fans over the PA system before home games.

Agree with all that,Iain Munro was also decent, but never got a proper chance.