All things Dundee FC

2 minutes ago, LiamDFC said:

Who said he's leaving? Am I missing something?

He is under contract, but contracts are just pieces of paper that you resort to when you cant make sensible agreements between 2 parties. 

He is worth more to us in the short term than the 400k I assume we will end up getting, but if you dont let him go, you wont get the same player who has been with us for the past 2 seasons. We are long term a selling club and we have to show our colours and let players go every now and again. If we dont let a player go for a reasonable sum of money (he cost us nothing remember) when a bid comes in that can change their life, them we wont be able to attract other players in the future. I would be all for forcing him to stay if he had come up through the youth system for 10 years or had 3 years still on his contract, but thats not the case here. We let him go, we make a large profit and we, hopefully, get him back in a year when he becomes "homesick".

If there is a bidding war, then I think we should be asking "Who can you offer us on loan ?" as part of the negotiations.

He is under contract, but contracts are just pieces of paper that you resort to when you cant make sensible agreements between 2 parties. 

He is worth more to us in the short term than the 400k I assume we will end up getting, but if you dont let him go, you wont get the same player who has been with us for the past 2 seasons. We are long term a selling club and we have to show our colours and let players go every now and again. If we dont let a player go for a reasonable sum of money (he cost us nothing remember) when a bid comes in that can change their life, them we wont be able to attract other players in the future. I would be all for forcing him to stay if he had come up through the youth system for 10 years or had 3 years still on his contract, but thats not the case here. We let him go, we make a large profit and we, hopefully, get him back in a year when he becomes "homesick".

If there is a bidding war, then I think we should be asking "Who can you offer us on loan ?" as part of the negotiations.

We put the club first ahead of any player. Every single time.

Greg Stewart is not unhappy at Dens but he is ambitious and has 1 more lucrative contract in him with a potential to play on longer after that. If he doesn't move this window he'll probably do himself a favour.

6 more months strolling it in the top flight as our 1 box office player, teams then sign him for f**k all in Jan on a PCA and because there's no fee involved he gets a higher basic and a juicy signing on fee. He then sees out our season, finishes 3rd in the poty behind a Celtic and rangers player and waves off the Derry in the last home game a happy and cash rich young man.

If £375k is to be the winning bid (according to the Sun I know...) then either Aberdeen will be very much still in the picture or we've already had an indication that he wants to move England.

Could be unfortunate for Dundee as the Dons were rumoured to be willing to go up to £500k

8 minutes ago, d31 said:

If £375k is to be the winning bid (according to the Sun I know...) then either Aberdeen will be very much still in the picture or we've already had an indication that he wants to move England.

Could be unfortunate for Dundee as the Dons were rumoured to be willing to go up to £500k

I suppose a lot of that will depend whether or not the Dons make the EL group stages

It's a long time until 31st Aug and Dundee should certainly be holding their nerve for a while yet

and also remembering in the back of their minds that a couple of Scottish clubs would still happily part with £200k in the January window even if he's been shite (which looks unlikely) before then

5 minutes ago, d31 said:

It's a long time until 31st Aug and Dundee should certainly be holding their nerve for a while yet

and also remembering in the back of their minds that a couple of Scottish clubs would still happily part with £200k in the January window even if he's been shite (which looks unlikely) before then

Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, Celtic, Rangers and United (if we make it to the Betfred Cup final)

If we were willing to let Stewart go for £375k then Aberdeen would be the last team we'd do business with. No point in accepting a bid from a rival in the league when the club have stated they don't want to sell.

6 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Got my tickets to meet the manager on Thursday. Anyone else going ?

I can't go G-Man, can you do me a favour mate, and ask Hartley wtf the problem is with Harkins? and can there be any way back from this disaster? we need the fat fucker in the side. Thank you. 

5 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

No. I was just stating clubs that have the £200k to spend on player of his quality.

Too be fair to Ludo he did say clubs that 'would still happily part with £200,000 in January window' when talking about a player comming to the end of his contract.  Would United really be happy or willing to spend that amount of money on a player comming to the end of his contract rather than take a chance of getting him for nothing?   £200,000 is a lot of money for United.  Remember did they not cash in the famous GMS for just £50,000 more to a cup final rival rather than lose him for nothing.

Dons could easily spend that if they wanted to

Were bidding more than £300k for Shinnie a year before we got him and since then were a couple years on from clearing the debt and consistently getting a mini run in europe