All things Dundee FC

See rumours of Ciftci to you lot[emoji23]

Won't happen.

He's decent enough but too much history and the Derry don't forget. He'd be the replacement for Stewart or Kane and is nowhere near as good as either. His failure to live up to them and ex DAB status would be a potent mix.

No thanks.

17 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

I think it's nonsense to suggest Greg isn't fit and that it's because he didn't go full time until he's 24. Come on, seriously? 

No one's said he isn't fit. He's just not up to the same standards as some other players in the team.

24 is generally considered quite late for a player to make that sort of step up for the first time (the majority of the counter examples to this were generally released from this level a couple of years before). It's doable but when you've got to consider that when others have had maybe 6 or 8 years of full-time work, there are going to be some attributes which are going to be harder to compensate for.  

I do think he's gotten better with this side of his game though and a good bit faster than people give him credit for. I wasn't calling into question his effort or the work of the coaches but it's a considerable disadvantage that will need a lot of work to overcome if he gets his move to a higher level.

Which no one has said. I said foreign players generally take around a year to adapt which means something completely different.

Which was in reply to my question 'how long do you think it takes to get fit'?

Plenty of part time players are fitter than a host of full time players because being very fit is their lifestyle.

That said I watched a fair bit of Man U at Old Trafford in the 90's. The level of fitness the whole team had, but particularly Beckham, Giggs and Keane was almost unbelievable. Our players, sadly, are as fit as they need to be and in the main that's not particularly so, IMO.

No one's said he isn't fit. He's just not up to the same standards as some other players in the team.

24 is generally considered quite late for a player to make that sort of step up for the first time (the majority of the counter examples to this were generally released from this level a couple of years before). It's doable but when you've got to consider that when others have had maybe 6 or 8 years of full-time work, there are going to be some attributes which are going to be harder to compensate for.  

I do think he's gotten better with this side of his game though and a good bit faster than people give him credit for. I wasn't calling into question his effort or the work of the coaches but it's a considerable disadvantage that will need a lot of work to overcome if he gets his move to a higher level.

If he is not as fit as the rest of the team (which I disagree with totally btw) then that can only be down to his attitude or the ability of the coaches.

2 years is more than enough to achieve what passes for fitness in mid table SPL. Especially when you consider he wasn't a 15 stone couch potato in the first place.

Just now, powerhouse7 said:
13 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:
No overweight Turkish waiters at Dens. Thank you.

how does a feel a fat Turkish Waiter went for 6x the price of Hemmings

In english please, you tangerine dim-head. Thank you.

correct but no chance have a phe'd to you lot

Another loser buying into the PR machine players give off. You still have a poster of him on your wall don't you?

He's not of the required quality to replace Kane Hemmings in any case but make no mistake, he'd bite our hand off for another crack at a regular game in the top flight and a wage.

Just now, Fifespud said:

Which was in reply to my question 'how long do you think it takes to get fit'?

Plenty of part time players are fitter than a host of full time players because being very fit is their lifestyle.

That said I watched a fair bit of Man U at Old Trafford in the 90's. The level of fitness the whole team had, but particularly Beckham, Giggs and Keane was almost unbelievable. Our players, sadly, are as fit as they need to be and in the main that's not particularly so, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

If he is not as fit as the rest of the team (which I disagree with totally btw) then that can only be down to his attitude or the ability of the coaches.

2 years is more than enough to achieve what passes for fitness in mid table SPL. Especially when you consider he wasn't a 15 stone couch potato in the first place.

I just don't think it's fair to necessary expect that 2 years period as being enough. There isn't really much research we can find in it but I'm not sure that it's that common for that sort of period of time being enough when the years of most rapid physical development have all been missed. I don't think it's something that everybody can really catch up with unless it's a natural attribute they have.

I'd say though that it's not really the norm for part time players to be that fit. They may look it sometimes and seem to handle it fine in some games but when you take into account that they are playing tougher opponents every week, it becomes a different world. I reckon some of them are (some people are naturally prone to it and others have embraced a good life style from a young age) but generally, they haven't signed from the Stirling and District amateurs and have actually spent their development years at a bigger club.

I don't know how Stewart shows up at training and in their measurements but it is something he's expressed self doubt about and do think he just finds it that bit harder than some of our other players. Have thought he's looked in better condition in pre-season though.

I just don't think it's fair to necessary expect that 2 years period as being enough. There isn't really much research we can find in it but I'm not sure that it's that common for that sort of period of time being enough when the years of most rapid physical development have all been missed. I don't think it's something that everybody can really catch up with unless it's a natural attribute they have.

I'd say though that it's not really the norm for part time players to be that fit. They may look it sometimes and seem to handle it fine in some games but when you take into account that they are playing tougher opponents every week, it becomes a different world. I reckon some of them are (some people are naturally prone to it and others have embraced a good life style from a young age) but generally, they haven't signed from the Stirling and District amateurs and have actually spent their development years at a bigger club.

I don't know how Stewart shows up at training and in their measurements but it is something he's expressed self doubt about and do think he just finds it that bit harder than some of our other players. Have thought he's looked in better condition in pre-season though.

I've got mates in the juniors who are fitter than some professionals. It's down to the individual.

I can't recall a time Greg Stewart has looked gassed and needed subbed. Can you?

There's no doubt he's not the quickest but that's a natural trait and tbf for the size/build of him he makes up with the lack of pace with his balance, strength and ability to position his body between the man and the ball.

Can he step up a level? Undoubtedly IMO.

16 minutes ago, powerhouse7 said:
39 minutes ago, Daydream said:

Ciftci ran us ragged and was rated very highly when at United. What's so funny? You'd take him back in a second!!

correct but no chance he'd to you lot

Gotcha, see what you mean now :)

Sad that he is leaving, but we cant force him to stay. This is the contract that will give him security for the rest of his life and while we could possibly offer him a 2k+ per week, in the Championship he should be able to get 4x that, possibly a lot more.

Agree with other posters though. He is fit, but the Championship is full of internationals and is probably the 4th or 5th league in Europe. Like Arjen Robben, everyone knows what he will do - cut inside - and just like Robben, he does it time and again and scores. Undoubted ability, but the difference with Robben is the speed. At our level he is a world beater and I wish him all the best, but I'm not sure he is strong or fast enough for England. I hope we manage to insert some sort of buy back clause in the contract - more important I think than a sell on clause.