All things Dundee FC

I can see where SRW is coming from to be honest. We didn't look at the races and made a lot of sloppy mistakes. We were fortunate Brechin were quite possibly the worst team I've ever seen. Certainly the worst Brechin side I've seen. They had absolutely zero intentions of crossing the half way line. Their keeper was time wasting when they were 2-0 down. It was an utterly tragic performance from them. 

That said, there were a few massive positives. Parish - not that he had anything to do was collecting balls into the box and organising well. Meekings and Caulker had turns about playing as centre forward at times. Elton and Madianga looked like they can be our best players. Great at turning in tight spaces and will provide some excitement this season. Curran looks like he can have Cammy Kerr sweating over his RB slot. Loved watching young  Jesse actually drive at the Brechin backline as opposed to the turgid tippy tappy stuff that we played quite a bit of. 

Mendy was quite disappointing. He kept coming far too deep and I don't know how he missed his chance that hit the inside of the post. Hopefully that's just because he didn't have a target man beside him though and he'll take up more threatening positions. Kerr is never a LB and made us look woefully imbalanced although credit to him for playing there. Wighton was completely anonymous yet again. Time is ticking for him. 

It was basically a game of attack vs defence and our attack didn't look particularly potent. We desperately, desperately need 2 strikers in IMO. 

Cup football performances mean f**k all, it’s about getting the job done and we did that. Winning and through to the next round is all I was wanting today. It was a professional performance today, nothing spectacular but got the none done. If anyone read McCanns pre match conference, he hints at players coming in. Frustrating as they won’t have played with the boys so far but it’s sadly the way our transfers and Scottish football works.

I can see where SRW is coming from to be honest. We didn't look at the races and made a lot of sloppy mistakes. We were fortunate Brechin were quite possibly the worst team I've ever seen. Certainly the worst Brechin side I've seen. They had absolutely zero intentions of crossing the half way line. Their keeper was time wasting when they were 2-0 down. It was an utterly tragic performance from them. 
That said, there were a few massive positives. Parish - not that he had anything to do was collecting balls into the box and organising well. Meekings and Caulker had turns about playing as centre forward at times. Elton and Madianga looked like they can be our best players. Great at turning in tight spaces and will provide some excitement this season. Curran looks like he can have Cammy Kerr sweating over his RB slot. Loved watching young  Jesse actually drive at the Brechin backline as opposed to the turgid tippy tappy stuff that we played quite a bit of. 
Mendy was quite disappointing. He kept coming far too deep and I don't know how he missed his chance that hit the inside of the post. Hopefully that's just because he didn't have a target man beside him though and he'll take up more threatening positions. Kerr is never a LB and made us look woefully imbalanced although credit to him for playing there. Wighton was completely anonymous yet again. Time is ticking for him. 
It was basically a game of attack vs defence and our attack didn't look particularly potent. We desperately, desperately need 2 strikers in IMO. 

Was it not Madianga who hit the post from Currans cross? Or am I thinking of a different Chance?

I don't know how interested any of you are with stats sites like Modern Fitba, but one your youngsters has been highlighted in their "best young midfielders" analysis, based around goalscoring. 

John Smith is his name. Can't think I've ever seen him mentioned before. 

Fûck sake. Let’s give ourselves a chance here lads. Ngwatala and Madianga look like 2 definite improvements on last season. Add a decent striker and we could be half decent.

Totally agree. Also think Mendy is an improvement on AJLS.

Kamara in for Spence and Moussa in for Wighton would be my changes for the weekend assuming everyone is fit. Although not convinced about Kerr at LB.

Totally agree. Also think Mendy is an improvement on AJLS.

Kamara in for Spence and Moussa in for Wighton would be my changes for the weekend assuming everyone is fit. Although not convinced about Kerr at LB.

Agreed but I don’t get the Cammy haters either. Curran looks fine against Brechin but I suspect he’d get ripped a new arsehole against stiffer opposition.

I understand the concerns that many folk have for this season - to an extent I share these. But I think that whilst unloading a lot of dead wood we have still strengthened in midfield - I like the look of Elton and I think Madianga will go on to be our best player this season. (I think Kamara will be away although I’d be chuffed if he stays). McCann seems to be going with Caulker & Meekings at CH when both are fit so I’d be encouraged if we can keep a consistent back line, that was one thing that changed virtually every week last season and it didn’t help us at all.
Keeper wise I’d probably keep Parrish in unless his form drops to the extent that there is no option but to play Hamilton - who I think is Scott Bain mk2.
The only bit I’m a bit disappointed with is up front. They must be working on bringing in one or two but I’d rather they work away and get it right rather than waste money on some diddy.

48 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't know how interested any of you are with stats sites like Modern Fitba, but one your youngsters has been highlighted in their "best young midfielders" analysis, based around goalscoring. 

John Smith is his name. Can't think I've ever seen him mentioned before. 

Not 100% but think he has been released. He scored a lot for the 20s but didn't make the bench for the first team at all.

1 hour ago, srw said:

Oh such a clever edit, bravo to you.

Meh, never claimed it was clever but I've never seen you post a single positive comment about the team, board or manager(s). So much so, I'd say you're either a DAB troll, need some help dealing with your issues or you just maybe need to 'support' a different team...

I'm not being a happy clapper either, coz yeah I'd have rather we pumped Brechin and our strikers were on fire - but as others have already said we dominated the game, scored 2 against a team determined not to get thumped again and qualified.

55 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Agreed but I don’t get the Cammy haters either. Curran looks fine against Brechin but I suspect he’d get ripped a new arsehole against stiffer opposition.

Cammy was pretty disastrous in his first few difficult games when he was firmly established and McGinn left. Against Aberdeen and the Old Firm, he was always a red card waiting to happen (always over-committing himself and getting booked then having to hold back the rest of the game or being fortunate to escape a second booking) and didn't inspire. A few months later and his defensive work was top notch, he has nightmares and he maybe hasn't been playing well recently but this is mostly in an attacking sense and not many wingers have the beating of him.

If Curran is to improve the defensive side of his game, I think we've just got to maybe accept that he'll have a few nightmares. For what it's worth, he played wing back against Hibs which was a tough game and he put in some really good challenges. His positioning is just really shit at times and he can hopefully sort that.

How on earth do you guys hate Vincent? He continually impresses me and was a stand out yesterday, winning tackles and up scoring a rebound off the bar from Fez's effort. Great engine on him.

Did he not just fit into the system, or maybe just wrong club or something?

3 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

How on earth do you guys hate Vincent? He continually impresses me and was a stand out yesterday, winning tackles and up scoring a rebound off the bar from Fez's effort. Great engine on him.

Did he not just fit into the system, or maybe just wrong club or something?

This is quite possibly the funniest thing I’ve read on here :thumsup2 well done. 

Don’t hate him just think he’s pish. 

Edited by Yenitit