All things Dundee FC

17 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Good summary Ludo but I think the bit I highlighted was definitely McCann’s biggest downfall.  It takes a fair degree of skill, and a significant amount of training, to play a true passing game.  

I got the feeling players were scared to take the chance of a killer pass in case they lost possession.  This resulted in numerous meaningless passes until the opposition chose to close us down.  Usually ended up with a big punt up the park or losing possession in our own half.

I think it may have been under McCann (possibly Hartley?) that Bain ended up arguing with someone in the derry.  The guy had shouted to stop passing around at the back and Bain was trying to explain that he was being told not to punt it long while pointing at the Dundee bench.

McCann struck me as someone who knows how he wants football to be played (who doesn’t?) but didn’t have the common sense to know that it was just not going to happen with the players he had at his disposal.

The age old mantra of the new and naive football manager. It's all fine well saying that, but what happens when it doesn't work? Dundee haven't sustained a consistent position in the top flight and as such our worry shouldn't be attractive free flowing passing football - as much as I want that. You build on solid foundations and I get the impression that is what Docherty will try to give us. 

It's clearly a very busy day at work today, as I found this little titbit on the club's Wikipedia page - is this common knowledge?

(In season 1902–1903 Dundee allowed 12 league goals against, which remains the fewest goals conceded by any British club in a full league season.)

In typical Dundee fashion, we still managed to lose the league by 6 points...

Of all the random player position shifting, Finlay on the wing wasn't on my bingo card. Encouraging from him though, and good to see our two strikers getting some goals. Beck too, hopefully he's the real deal for us.

11 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Of all the random player position shifting, Finlay on the wing wasn't on my bingo card. Encouraging from him though, and good to see our two strikers getting some goals. Beck too, hopefully he's the real deal for us.

Excellent stuff. Things coming along nicely. 

How many more do we think we'll bring in?

On 03/07/2023 at 23:14, Ludo*1 said:

Based on that formation I'd say our current best 11 is as follows:

Legzdins/McCracken

French -- Shaughnessy -- Ashcroft -- Beck

Byrne

Mulligan --- Cameron 

Tiffoney                                                  McCowan

Robinson 

Subs:

Legzdins/McCracken

Portales (didn't include him in the first 11 as complete unknown just now)

Kerr

McGhee

Anderson

Robertson

Rudden

Apologies if the formatting doesn't come out right - did it on my mobile.

That first 11 still needs a huge amount of work IMO particularly in midfield - looks like it can be easily steamrollered.

Is Charlie Reilly fit? Said it on here before but feel like he’s destined for 6 month on loan here 

£450+ for a season ticket now it’s £60 for a t shirt , this club is at the point where it can go F itself 

Spoiler

I don’t mean it, but I also do…chancers 💔