All things Dundee FC

3 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Seems like a pretty decent guy but he rarely showed the ability he, apparently, had at Livi. All the best Shaun but I’m totally not bothered he’s gone. 

Although I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s a revelation at the San Starko tbh. 

12 minutes ago, Louis Litt said:

After Sean Goss according to the Record 

I thought he was already off to India 🤨  the rumour was he'd been given a good offer from Mumbai City. Would be a very solid addition if we could manage it, but with some of the offers he's got I'd be surprised if we're the pick of the bunch.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

107 appearances and 2 assists.

Goalkeepers have better goal contributions than that!

One of which was in his first game away to Raith, put Craig Curran through for his only goal. Remember thinking he should've scored, but having an unselfish assist machine in midfield would do just fine... ah well.

Good defensive midfielder who I think is the exact type of player Raith needed, very much a key part of our teams under McPake and was probably one of our best players of our last Premiership season, but he's just not the player we need anymore. All the best to him, clearly a top lad.

24 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I thought he was already off to India 🤨 would be a very solid addition if we could manage it, but with some of the offers he's got I'd be surprised if we're the pick of the bunch.

India has been the rumour all summer but nothing has ever been confirmed. No mention of which team or anything like that.

Kettlewell spoke about him a while back and the gist was that we had made him an offer but couldn't really wait around on him and the player wanted to explore other (more lucrative) opportunities (or words to that effect).

This was from July 7th:

Screenshot2023-07-07at14_27_23.thumb.png

3 hours ago, This Charming Man said:

Good luck to Shaun Byrne in his future career, he is by all reports an all round good lad.

Really difficult to look back on any of the James McPake era without total disdain. Promotion was only gained two years ago due to Charlie Adam (having virtually invited and arranged his own signing the previous summer) dragging us up single-handed, kicking and screaming.

Anyway, my solitary James McPake (managerial) favourite moment is as below at Rugby Park via Shaun Byrne's mobile.

Thank you Danny Mullen for making us smile and mon' The Doc this season.

imageproxy.gif.745b8cfb0e0d97c57e83aced5f8b60c4.gif

Don’t have the gif but Cumdog swingin a chandelier , while the back room staff trying to act as babysitter for the rest of the mob

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

India has been the rumour all summer but nothing has ever been confirmed. No mention of which team or anything like that.

Kettlewell spoke about him a while back and the gist was that we had made him an offer but couldn't really wait around on him and the player wanted to explore other (more lucrative) opportunities (or words to that effect).

This was from July 7th:

Screenshot2023-07-07at14_27_23.thumb.png

Out of curiosity, what would you say Kettlewell got out of Goss that had been missing prior? Felt like he was the unwanted man and then suddenly became a key part of the team.

1 hour ago, Dee Bliss said:

For me Byrne needed to be more forward thinking when in possession. 

Wish him all the best for the future. Free’s up a wage hopefully for us to bring in another player. 

Not sure if it's relevant but he seems to view Sergio Busquets as him ideal player he'd want to be. I remember him posting about him when he was with us and sharing clips etc. Definitely sees himself as a CDM I'd imagine. He always had a good bit of bite with us and could beat a man, his main issue was having zero pace, although could find the space usually.

7 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Out of curiosity, what would you say Kettlewell got out of Goss that had been missing prior? Felt like he was the unwanted man and then suddenly became a key part of the team.

For me that's only part of the story. Goss is the type of player who is very effective in a team that's playing well, but not the kind that will make a difference to a team that isn't. I would say that it was more a case of Kettlewell improving the team as a whole which had the knock-on effect of allowing Goss to do what he's best at, as opposed to getting anything extra out of him individually.

He's a very talented footballer and you can tell he's been coached at the highest level, but you need your other players to also be doing their bit for him to be effective.

8 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

It's a good question tbf but it's also worth mentioning that Goss had a decent run of form in the first 6 months he was at the club after Alexander signed him.

Given the reports from Saints fans on his arrival there was a general surprise that he had fitted in as he did. He was effectively holding our midfield together when we absolutely did a number on Aberdeen at Pittodrie then whatever the f**k happened after Alexander signed that contract extension happened and everyone fell off a cliff.

It probably comes down to what Kettlewell did to turn the season around in general in so much as he stripped everything down to basics and seemed to tell everyone to just focus on what they were good at. He also changed the shape to something that actually got the best out of everyone compared to whatever the f**k Hammell was asking them to do.

Hammell was fixated on a 4231/433 and it hung the likes of Goss and Slattery out to dry in the centre of the park. Goss is more a deep lying playmaker than a traditional defensive midfielder - which is why I'd guess Hammell brought in Butcher as some Hail Mary to try and fix our midfield.

Either way, Kettlewell came in changed to a 3412 with Butcher at the centre of a back 3 behind Goss, Cornelius and Spittal all central in midfield it gave us much better balance and allowed Goss to effectively play as a deep lying #6 which let him just get on the ball and ping passes about the park to pick out the likes of Max Johnston and James Furlong in the advanced wingback positions.

The other thing is that although Goss isn't Callum Butcher the way Kettlewell changed our shape meant that Goss was able to do us a turn on the defensive side by winning the ball back, making interceptions and starting counters.

In fact, the goal we scored against you guys on Saturday was actually textbook of what we were doing last season except with Lennon Miller in the Goss role and O'Donnell in the same sort of area Johnston was getting into.

My take on Goss has generally been that it felt like a natural point to part in so much as he'd probably got what he wanted from us and we'd got a decent turn out of him. He was excellent in the games he played for Kettlewell and fitted what we were doing perfectly but there was also enough doubt about him that he could just as easily revert to the version that would have seen us happily chase him.

Edit: I see @Al B has already got there to say a similar thing in far fewer words.

Edited by capt_oats

52 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Given the reports from Saints fans on his arrival there was a general surprise that he had fitted in as he did. He was effectively holding our midfield together when we absolutely did a number on Aberdeen at Pittodrie then whatever the f**k happened after Alexander signed that contract extension happened and everyone fell off a cliff.

In hindsight it was very naive of us to be surprised that a player St Johnstone fans said was shit, turned out to be perfectly useable once they got away from the place.

15 minutes ago, Al B said:

In hindsight it was very naive of us to be surprised that a player St Johnstone fans said was shit, turned out to be perfectly useable once they got away from the place.

Ali Crawford redemption arc next Summer.