All things Dundee FC

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fairly convinced he'll be a top flight player for most of his career and end up at a Aberdeen/Hearts/Hibs, but aye probably missing the boat now if he wants to get higher.

Anderson is Ross Callachan and will have a similar Championsip/lower half Premiership peak.

Cameron i dunno, never really see him play much.

Thing about Robertson is that he always looked comfortable on the ball, neat and tidy, even when he was playing in the first team at 16. The problem is, it's five years on, and that's still all he is. Comfortable on the ball, and neat and tidy. There is nothing else at all to his game. He isn't physical, isn't a runner, doesn't really get stuck in, doesn't create anything, doesn't appear to carry much in the way of goal threat.

He was just as garbage as every other Dundee player on the pitch in the recent 0-0 at Dens v's Ross County, yet for some reason the comms were raving about him, presumably because of the fact he doesn't have the utterly abysmal first touch of your typical Scottish player and so stands out and looks "classy" for that alone, but in the 2nd half especially he was utterly invisible, with literally everything going down our left while he just stood with his dick in the wind in the centre circle. Don't think he touched it once, and I was absolutely gobsmacked when he was subbed off because I didn't realise he was still on the pitch.

Ordinarily I hate being overtly critical of young players because it serves no worthwhile purpose, but I also think there's a tendency toward reality-denial when it comes to evaluating the homegrown talent at Dens. Of the current crop, Mulligan is the only one I've ever thought showed any hint of potentially developing into a top-flight footballer. The rest have "Championship journeyman" stamped all over them, and sorry to say this, but sometimes it's immediately obvious even at 17 or 18.

Edited by Boo Khaki

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fairly convinced he'll be a top flight player for most of his career and end up at a Aberdeen/Hearts/Hibs, but aye probably missing the boat now if he wants to get higher.

Anderson is Ross Callachan and will have a similar Championsip/lower half Premiership peak.

Cameron i dunno, never really see him play much.

You've not seen either player you've mentioned as much as any Dundee fan in here. Really don't know who you think you are.

Robertson won't make any of them teams. Give it a rest and f**k off.

Thank you.

Think none of our youths have everything, if they did they’d have been snapped up by a top club long ago.  Sharp will probably end up as a standard championship keeper and Anderson will probably go up and down for most of his career.

The other 3 I think all have the potential to be very good if they can cover their shortfalls.

Robertson is technically excellent but lacking in everything else.  I’d already given up on him before this season but he has definitely improved so don’t think we should write him off yet.

Mulligan is physically excellent and technically decent.  His decision making is poor though and although the red against Killie was ridiculous, he does have an element of being hot headed.  That is absolutely something that can be tempered by experience so still high hopes for him.

Cameron is mentally excellent - his ability to know when to arrive in the box is impeccable - and he’s a good playmaker and finisher.  His biggest problem though is blatantly obvious, he’s tiny.  He holds his own remarkably well considering, but for him to make it at a high level his mental and technical ability need to keep improving. 

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Without that stupid 2 goal collapse in Perth we'd be sitting 3rd in the League tonight.

I suppose the saving grace of it happening so early in the season is it's a good teaching point for the side, but by f**k it's still frustrating even now.

It'll be even more frustrating in May when we're sat 3rd just 1 point ahead of you.

Trevor Carson has kept the same amount of clean sheets in 10 games as Scott Bain did in his final 55 league games for us.

Shows the difference between the last time we were relatively stable in the top flight.

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Is this the most competent/safe/unbatshit/sensible team we have had in years? 

What's that, 6 clean sheets in the last 7 or something?

Certainly feels like the most "common sense" Dundee side since probably the 1st or 2nd Hartley season back up, or maybe even Jocky's side that shatfested it's way to 5th 😀

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

Trevor Carson has kept the same amount of clean sheets in 10 games as Scott Bain did in his final 55 league games for us.

Shows the difference between the last time we were relatively stable in the top flight.

Funnily enough, I just hit Bain's Wiki this morning to see what on earth he's up to, because I haven't seen hide nor hair of him since he looked lost as part of that clownshoes Scotland side that got pumped in Kazakhstan.

46 Celtic appearances in over 5 years. What a complete lack of ambition and a total waste of the prime of your career.

12 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Is this the most competent/safe/unbatshit/sensible team we have had in years? 

What's that, 6 clean sheets in the last 7 or something?

It's the best since the Bonetti era, without a shadow of a doubt.

Fucking brilliant Doc.

Thank you.

image.thumb.png.1b6d18687867a1ded22f07214e4c2ace.png

I don’t think I could fault one player today.  Doc really does have them playing for each other.  Great atmosphere coming from the Derry as well.  

Something about the way Doc conducts himself and the way he gets the best out of players  reminds me of Archie Knox - and that’s high praise indeed.

Just thinking a bit more about Bain. Gets handed a Scotland cap in his mid 20's right when the GK position had been locked down for years. Honking attitude the last while at Dens, but you'd think that might have spurred him on. Given that our options aside from recent convert Gunn, and geriatric one-legged Craig Gordon are pretty grim, he could have theoretically had about 20-30 caps by now, perhaps even been our #1, or in and around the squad at least, had he shown any sort of ambition to play regular football and better himself. He's certainly no less talented than Kelly or the like. 

Such a bloody infuriating waste of talent. Really makes me angry when there are so many lads who try their hearts out but don't quite come up to scratch.

12 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Just thinking a bit more about Bain. Gets handed a Scotland cap in his mid 20's right when the GK position had been locked down for years. Honking attitude the last while at Dens, but you'd think that might have spurred him on. Given that our options aside from recent convert Gunn, and geriatric one-legged Craig Gordon are pretty grim, he could have theoretically had about 20-30 caps by now, perhaps even been our #1, or in and around the squad at least, had he shown any sort of ambition to play regular football and better himself. He's certainly no less talented than Kelly or the like. 

Such a bloody infuriating waste of talent. Really makes me angry when there are so many lads who try their hearts out but don't quite come up to scratch.

Wonder what he's on a month? Don't have a clue, but maybe something stupid like 20k?

Sacrifice your career for cash, quite sad.

Thank you.

Delighted.

An absolute whalloping of the Paisley morons with the Goalkeeper literally doing zilch today. Carson blowing kisses and waving to the Ultra clowns at the front of the Shankly set up the second half perfectly.

Becks tackle that led to the fourth goal is a thing of beauty. There's nothing quite like a sliding tackle that gets the fans up and seething in joy at the sight of the ball bobbling up off the stunning Dens Park turf. For it to then lead to Robinsons first goal of the season almost had me shooting my load. 

Boateng strutted round the pitch like a prime Pirlo. Such a talented individual. 

Rudden sprinted about like fast Eddie after someone stealing his copper cup. Relentless in his pursuit of the ball. Fucking lovely and rightly applauded off today. He's not going to turn into a Hemmings but we know what he's giving us. Well done to him.

Shaugnessy commanded his area like Granny Danger over a large kebab. Destruction of the opposition alongside the solid Lamie and composed Portales.

Cammy Kerr even managed to come on and give a comedy act when passing to the opposition and slide tackling Robinson whilst attempting to regain possession. 

We've had years of sorrow following this beautiful club but this season has been a pleasure. The main thing with this club is it being in the blood, there through thick and thin. We are more than entitled to enjoy the current standings while we can but I'm not as deluded as your moron Paisley, Queens Park and other Diddy fans who don't know their limits.

We move on with hope but more importantly pride in being a supporter of this history laden Club. That will never change but on days like this it hits that bit extra.

Thank you.

19 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Wonder what he's on a month? Don't have a clue, but maybe something stupid like 20k?

Sacrifice your career for cash, quite sad.

Thank you.

Sacrifice your career to be retired at 35 as a multimillionaire probably won't make him sad though.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest if boys want to chase the money, good luck to them.

43 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I don’t think I could fault one player today.  Doc really does have them playing for each other.  Great atmosphere coming from the Derry as well.  

Something about the way Doc conducts himself and the way he gets the best out of players  reminds me of Archie Knox - and that’s high praise indeed.

Spot on. Delighted for both Zac's tonight.