All things Dundee FC

Obviously money and managing a bigger club would be a pull for any manager, but given the backing Doc has been given and they way he's overhauled the squad, I wouldn't be surprised if he genuinely didn't want to move on just yet unless it's a completely unrealistic club offering a life-changing salary. I get the feeling he sees Dundee as a project where he can establish a reputation of his own, and I don't think it's quite at that stage yet. Another top 6 finish this season, and perhaps the chance of continental football or a deep run in a Cup, then perhaps he'll feel like it's "job done" and look for a move upwards. As it is, it feels like it's only part-way through.

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I've no real logic to base it on, but I reckon we could put up one hell of a fight to keep Docherty away from Hearts. It's always Aberdeen I've been worried about in case he thinks he has unfinished business there but thankfully, they're doing well just now.

Dundee as a club nowadays is a harder place to leave. We look like we have a set up that is progressing and constantly improving. So yeah, I'd agree we would definitely put up a good fight. 

Hearts still have more money, better player pull and of recent times consistent european football. 

It's all theoretical, mind you and just in my head - but a concern nonetheless.

29 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Feels like we've dropped 4 points over the past two games. Hibs and St.Mirren both there for the taking, yet we've come away with 1 point each time because a CH has flogged a goal in both matches, we kept giving away free-kicks in front of our goal at Easter Road, and our LB decided to lump it into the middle of the park rather than just twat it out of play. 

I think being generous you can argue that it's unreasonable to expect solid, stingy defence when the back four is in a constant stat of flux and several players are unavailable, but unless we get to grips with the sloppiness and stop conceding stupid goals from self-inflicted mistakes, we're just going to continue to drop points in games we have the better of.

Totally this. In fairness to Larkeche, no denying the mistake he made but Mandron does pop up with a worldy. Portales letting the ball bounce is more of howler imo. Their defence was pish too, even with Gogic in the middle.

There's no denying that currently, there is no way you can describe Dundee and Hearts as clubs on a similar footing, and any move as "sideways", but as we're talking about a guy who is trying to make a reputation as a manager in his own right after years as a #2, I don't think moving to another club in the same league 18 months into his current job would really make any sense for him. 

He's currently got it good at Dens, seems to be well liked and respected for the most part, and undoubtedly has the club on an upward trajectory. So say Hearts punt Naismith at some point after the International break and go after Doc, he's just going to have to spend the next 18 months at Hearts bedding in and building a reputation there the same way he has already at Dens, and also the time spent moulding the team and playing style into what he wants. So theoretically, if all goes well, in two to three years from now as Hearts manager he might be looking to move on from there to an English club or something, when in reality he could stay at Dens and achieve much the same thing, but on an expedited timescale due to the work already done. As I say, I think it's about breaking out of McInnes' shadow and forging his own reputation, and I think that wouldn't be as easy to achieve if he's changed jobs a couple of times rather than proving it over perhaps a solid, consistent performance over 3 years or so at one club. It's how McInnes achieved it really.

Then there's also the possibility that he moves away from a good thing at Dens and it just quickly goes tits up in his new job, and he's back to square one. Money talks though, so I think the question becomes how much would a significant bump in salary over-ride the benefit of staying in a comfortable job where, so far anyway, he seems to be pretty much on track to achieve what he wants.

1 minute ago, Fifespud said:

Totally this. In fairness to Larkeche, no denying the mistake he made but Mandron does pop up with a worldy. Portales letting the ball bounce is more of howler imo. Their defence was pish too, even with Gogic in the middle.

Portales had a warning before this goal too with almost the same thing happening and McCracken bailed him out. It's horrendous defending.

Just now, Pens_Dark said:

Portales had a warning before this goal too with almost the same thing happening and McCracken bailed him out. It's horrendous defending.

Yeah, it's a concern that having seen him struggle with the ball lumped at him two or three times even before the goal, opposition teams are just going to cotton on to the fact that when we are pushed up the pitch you can just knock it up in the air in his direction, and he'll panic and do something daft. He always seemed to want to let the ball bounce and deal with it on the deck, but you just can't do that with a forward bearing down on you and nothing else behind you bar the keeper.

Just now, Pens_Dark said:

Was that the one where the striker got pulled up for handball? Because that was the same thing too. Defenders playing a bit of football is all very well but actual defending should be front and centre (as the young lads and lasses like to say constantly at presentations I attend nowadays!)

2 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Was that the one where the striker got pulled up for handball? Because that was the same thing too. Defenders playing a bit of football is all very well but actual defending should be front and centre (as the young lads and lasses like to say constantly at presentations I attend nowadays!)

I'm not too sure but it was one where he let the striker run across him barely challenged and he tried the same finish he eventually scored but McCracken saved with his feet. It looks like he just tries to nudge him to let the ball pass on to the keeper rather than actually dealing with it. 

21 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Dundee as a club nowadays is a harder place to leave. We look like we have a set up that is progressing and constantly improving. So yeah, I'd agree we would definitely put up a good fight. 

Hearts still have more money, better player pull and of recent times consistent european football. 

It's all theoretical, mind you and just in my head - but a concern nonetheless.

But our teams miles better

8 minutes ago, Vicdfc said:

But our teams miles better

Depends on the context.

Are we getting better results and performances than Hearts right now? Yes, unquestionably, but would you say our actual squad is better/deeper than theirs, or is it more the fact that we've settled early in the year and they haven't, and our manager possibly has a better grasp on how to get the most out of his players than his Hearts counterpart does.

I'll reserve judgement until we've at least played everyone else once, because otherwise you are comparing apples and oranges, and something has gone terribly wrong at Tynecastle if a club with their resources has genuinely recruited and compiled a poorer squad than the one at Dens.

McCracken shouldve been in the squad ahead of McCrorie in the first place.

If Hearts want Docherty they'd get him. They've more than enough money to manage that.

iWith Braybrook signing I think we will play different formations. 2 sitting and 1 in front and also 1 sitting 2 in front. I don’t see where Fraser fits in and if he partners with Cameron we’d get tore apart. I can’t see Docherty signing him.

54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If Hearts want Docherty, and Docherty wants to go to Hearts, they'd get him. They've more than enough money to manage that.

Added a crucial element to your statement.

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

He's done nothing that makes him look remotely close to being a call-up, but I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke is having a look at him regardless given the absolute paucity of Scots-qualified keepers of any ability whatsoever. 

If Zander bloody Clark can pick up caps, then any Scots lad who owns a pair of gloves is in with a shout.

Not for me. 

He’s been a great signing and should’ve been in the squad from the start. Only Angus Gunn is currently better than him. 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

If Hearts want Docherty they'd get him. They've more than enough money to manage that.

image.thumb.png.250a3144a790ee410e79093ad2d30e62.png

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not everyone is motivated by money, the Hearts job is a sideways move, also I doubt the Doc will be 'strapped for cash.' So the money side of it makes no sense.

Thank you.