All things Dundee FC

15 minutes ago, Pens_Dark said:

Don't really think you could read much in to that, he was training with Motherwell for a while. Why would you travel to Dundee at your own expense to gain fitness if nothing comes of it? 

Maybe no one wants to sign him on the wages he would probably command unless they were sure on his fitness, maybe he is holding out for that move abroad that surely would have happened by now. 

Either way, he admitted that he is in contact with Docherty so it wouldn't surprise me to see us sign him. We might have been waiting on the money coming in for McCowan before we were prepared to take a punt on him. My guess is that if Kilmarnock weren't on a plastic pitch and he was fit he'd have signed there by now. 

I suppose then the question Is, how far is he off being fit? Is he at kicking a ball stage? 

Let's say Docherty wants him and he wants to go to Dundee. I'm struggling to see why Docherty wouldn't have him in now training with Dundee getting to know the Dundee players and even moving to the area. Even if Dundee were waiting on the McCowan money he could still train with Dundee whilst waiting on the green light.

The fact he is training with Motherwell and will demand a decent wage suggests to me he isn't signing for Dundee. I may well be wrong and reading too much in to it ofcourse

11 minutes ago, Glen Scotia said:

I suppose then the question Is, how far is he off being fit? Is he at kicking a ball stage? 

Let's say Docherty wants him and he wants to go to Dundee. I'm struggling to see why Docherty wouldn't have him in now training with Dundee getting to know the Dundee players and even moving to the area. Even if Dundee were waiting on the McCowan money he could still train with Dundee whilst waiting on the green light.

The fact he is training with Motherwell and will demand a decent wage suggests to me he isn't signing for Dundee. I may well be wrong and reading too much in to it ofcourse

I wouldn't bother with him, we'll leave the signing of perma crocks to your bunch.

Thank you.

On the injury front, Doc says the international break should help any players nursing bumps and bruises. As for Reilly and Clark Robertson who were believed to be ready come the Ross County game, nothing is said of Reilly which seems to indicate he should become available for then, but Clark has been pushed back to the League Cup QF at Ibrox the following week by Doc at best.

With Scotland 19s winning 2-0 tonight do you reckon now that young lochhead is at wolves that will put him in macgarlane’s eyes more thaN it would dundees academy?

11 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

On the injury front, Doc says the international break should help any players nursing bumps and bruises. As for Reilly and Clark Robertson who were believed to be ready come the Ross County game, nothing is said of Reilly which seems to indicate he should become available for then, but Clark has been pushed back to the League Cup QF at Ibrox the following week by Doc at best.

What is actually wrong with Robertson? Is it muscular?

It would be daft to hand a player coming back from a serious injury his debut in a cup tie at Ibrox, so I read that as a "he might make the bench by the 21st" statement, and think it's likely he'll be gradually eased in after that.

Edit - Caveat being, perhaps Doc doesn't give a shit about the diddy cup like me, and sees this as an ideal opportunity to knock the rust off 😆

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 02/09/2024 at 11:55, MarkoP said:

Not enjoying Utd sitting above us. Still feel it’s temporary but points mean prizes.

we need to be beating teams we’re better than more regularly 

Im hoping a more solid defence lines up after the break.

Much as I love having a Mexican in our starting line up I’m wondering if, as others have said , the back 4 would work better without him?

Not the way football works. The league will be completed in May when all teams will have played the same opposition the same number of times (bar the split).

A quick peek at the fixtures that have opened the season show a strong start for the Derry. County, Aberdeen, Killie and Motherwell next with our easy three points at home to Perth at the end of next month. 

This was folks failings when there was talk of a Queens Park title win;  all along their last few fixtures was when they'd falter. Let time take it's course.

Thank you. 

Edited by Dundee-FC92

3 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Not the way football works. The league will be completed in May when all teams will have played the same opposition the same number of times (bar the split).

A quick peek at the fixtures that have opened the season show a strong start for the Derry. County, Aberdeen, Killie and Motherwell next with our easy three points at home to Perth at the end of next month. 

This was folks failings when there was talk of a Queens Park title win;  all along their last few fixtures was when they'd falter. Let time take it's course.

Thank you. 

I get the sentiment, and agree with it somewhat, but unfortunately the points available early in the season count for exactly the same as those earned at any other part of the season, and right now 6 points from 4 games feels like a bit of an underachievement, especially against the backdrop of hearing everyone talk about what a decent side we have. Had we put away Hibs or St Mirren I'd be a bit more comfortable. We need to stop shipping stupid, preventable goals. That's what it boils down to for me. Do that, and we should be top 6 comfortably and in the mix for 4th/5th. Fail to sort it and I can see it being another season of "if only..." like last year and hovering around mid-table again.

One saving grace is that most teams suffer a spate of injuries at some point in the season, so there is a possibility that we're a bit unlucky right now having lost one of our signings before the season really got underway, and once that clears up we can hope for a clearer run later in the year. I think we have a fairly solid squad and would hope that Doc makes use of the depth rather than playing the same team week-in, week-out, because that's another thing that tends to lead to individual players and entire sides wearing down as the season goes on. I think we suffered from that a bit last year as the puff really seemed to run out as soon as we secured 6th. That can't happen again this season if we hold any ambitions of 5th+ at all. Perhaps if we're fitter and less tired this time around, it'll be other sides who fall victim to it. One of the reasons I'm never all that fond of the idea of getting pumped in the 1st quali round of some diddy UEFA tournament before July is out. Sure, a wee trip would be fun, but it's another extension of the season, intense football very early on, and I think it sometimes catches up with teams later in the year that aren't really built and assembled to cope with it. Achieving any sort of consistency and year-on-year progression is difficult enough for clubs in Scotland, and I think Euro trips and the League Cup are sometimes more of a hindrance than they are worth, League Cup especially. Playing LC ties on late summer weekends when we end up with a League fixture backlog every single Spring is f**king lunacy IMHO.

10 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I get the sentiment, and agree with it somewhat, but unfortunately the points available early in the season count for exactly the same as those earned at any other part of the season, and right now 6 points from 4 games feels like a bit of an underachievement, especially against the backdrop of hearing everyone talk about what a decent side we have. Had we put away Hibs or St Mirren I'd be a bit more comfortable. We need to stop shipping stupid, preventable goals. That's what it boils down to for me. Do that, and we should be top 6 comfortably and in the mix for 4th/5th. Fail to sort it and I can see it being another season of "if only..." like last year and hovering around mid-table again.

One saving grace is that most teams suffer a spate of injuries at some point in the season, so there is a possibility that we're a bit unlucky right now having lost one of our signings before the season really got underway, and once that clears up we can hope for a clearer run later in the year. I think we have a fairly solid squad and would hope that Doc makes use of the depth rather than playing the same team week-in, week-out, because that's another thing that tends to lead to individual players and entire sides wearing down as the season goes on. I think we suffered from that a bit last year as the puff really seemed to run out as soon as we secured 6th. That can't happen again this season if we hold any ambitions of 5th+ at all. Perhaps if we're fitter and less tired this time around, it'll be other sides who fall victim to it. One of the reasons I'm never all that fond of the idea of getting pumped in the 1st quali round of some diddy UEFA tournament before July is out. Sure, a wee trip would be fun, but it's another extension of the season, intense football very early on, and I think it sometimes catches up with teams later in the year that aren't really built and assembled to cope with it. Achieving any sort of consistency and year-on-year progression is difficult enough for clubs in Scotland, and I think Euro trips and the League Cup are sometimes more of a hindrance than they are worth, League Cup especially. Playing LC ties on late summer weekends when we end up with a League fixture backlog every single Spring is f**king lunacy IMHO.

Six points and undefeated against our so called top six rivals isn't an underachievement for me.

Our results against the better teams last season were catastrophic and relegation material. There's small signs of progress with a whole season ahead. Look at last year's tally against three of the sides we have played so far:

Paisley 3/12

Hearts 3/12

Hibs 1/9

We've already nearly matched that in the opening four games. If we go to Dingwall and win it's been an outstanding opening to the season.

The Derby was a clusterf**k with the likes of Graham thrown in alongside the new signings. We can't grumble with a point there in a match Main should've bagged the points in the end.

Thank you.

We hammered Livi and Ross County last season, and IIRC we took 5 or 7 points from St. Johnstone anaw. Obviously no Livi this season, but we've already dropped 2 points to their replacement. My concern about not winning games against St.Mirren and Hibs when we had the better of it is that we pretty much now have to beat St.Johnstone and Co to stay on track before we run into Aberdeen/Celtic/Rangers, and if we're still shipping stupid goals left and right then beating anyone becomes far more difficult.

Still the early part of the season etc etc, but I think we should be sitting on at least 8 points and arguably 10.

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

We hammered Livi and Ross County last season, and IIRC we took 5 or 7 points from St. Johnstone anaw. Obviously no Livi this season, but we've already dropped 2 points to their replacement. My concern about not winning games against St.Mirren and Hibs when we had the better of it is that we pretty much now have to beat St.Johnstone and Co to stay on track before we run into Aberdeen/Celtic/Rangers, and if we're still shipping stupid goals left and right then beating anyone becomes far more difficult.

Still the early part of the season etc etc, but I think we should be sitting on at least 8 points and arguably 10.

Perth are taking Livi's spot this season as whipping boys and potentially County. 

Don't think we had the better against Hibs after the first 30 minutes. They came on top and a goal was always coming. We ended up snatching a point and they still had time to smack the bar a minute later.

Paisley was more of an opportunity wasted but after losing our best player 24hrs before and losing two goals from defensive mistakes we still managed a point whilst looking the better side.

In the Derby we didn't deserve to win but also managed to go undefeated despite Larkeche looking unfit (has improved since), Graham having a disaster and playing the back 5 that we've since dropped. Mains late howler doesn't make it an opportunity wasted - we should've been 3 1 down in that case after dreadful finishing from Trapanovski at a one on one.

We're just about where we deserve to be at the minute and there's plenty room for defensive improvement. Not losing ground to anyone like St Mirren will be more than useful come March/April.

Thank you.

900 tickets for the quarter final is an absolute farce from Sevco.

After their statements last season in relation to Dens to then provide a not fully operative stadium for this match is a turn of events only the Govan morons could supply.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

After their statements last season in relation to Dens to then provide a not fully operative stadium for this match is a turn of events only the Govan morons could supply.

Thank you.

Wouldn’t go back there if they paid me. Fair play to anyone that does. 

2 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Thank you.

Spot on, you couldn't make this ironic nonsense up, one positive though, is they're absolutely f**ked now.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, Dundee-FC92 said:

Thank you.

What’s that going to equate to? About a 40th of their available attendance?

I know it will never happen but would love Dundee to (even if it was just a threat) start to make noises about offering them a 40th of the attendance of Dens for their next trip.