All things Dundee FC

Irvine was shite but the whole team was to be fair (Excluding Scotty Bain). I wouldn't single out Irvine though. He was one bad egg in what was a team of bed wetters. Harkins was useless yesterday. The midfield couldn't string two passes together. The whole defence was shocking. Hemmings up top himself doesn't work. It didn't against Partick and certainly not against Celtic. The last two visits to Parkhead have been 5-0 and 6-0. Surely Hartley learned his mistakes from the 5-0 visit to Parkhead?

Ross County game: Need to start Loy upfront with Hemmings. Calder and Stewart both on and really press County from the off. I'm not sure how we sort the defence?

Against Thistle we were lucky not to concede 3 or 4 through a combination of the woodwork and our goalkeeper.

Thistle average 2 shots on target per game this season. That is how bad our defence is. The team who have only scored 2 goals all season created enough clear cut chances to bury us with ease. Luckily for us they were low on confidence and failed to take those chances.

What we needed to do from there was learn from those mistakes and not carry them over to Parkhead. We didn't learn, we carried on the mistakes and the second best team in the league unsurprisingly steamrollered us with consummate ease.

Irvine out - Holt in - I know Holt was having a bad run but I genuinely believe he is easily a better player than Irvine (particularly at left back) and was scapegoated after Hartleys failed 3-5-2 / 5-4-1 experiment.

McPake or Konrad out - Julen in - Pre season I wanted a pairing of McPake and Konrad. I was wrong. Julen is our best centre half and such is McPakes form that even though I rate him better than Tam I couldn't care less which one of them makes way currently.

Ross or Harkins out - Gowser in - Ross looks a good player but is struggling to influence matches just now and seems even worse in front of goal than Gowser.... I'm loathe to take Harkins out but that performance at Parkhead was unacceptable - shitebag. McGowan brings dig which we severely lacked on Sunday.

Low out - Loy in - Loy came on against Thistle,. arguably making us more attacking, yet despite them chasing the game we seemed a lot more comfortable by going attacking than when we were sitting deep. Why? Frankly our defence is chronic and can't be relied upon to defend a lead with any solidity. We are much better on the front foot.

Failing all of the above I quite fancy a midfield of Thommo sitting, Gowser and Low central with Stewart and Calder providing real attacking width. Just not sure if the lack of height/physical presence I nthe middle would see us steamrollered.

Reading this back it is just a rambling rant but I needed to vent so it's getting posted anyway.

Fucking Dundee. Sakes.

The summer was the opportunity to improve the quality of our defence.

We are generally lining up with the same limited back 4 we played with last year making the same mistakes.

Hopefully Holt can improve from his car crash start and Julien can stay fit and step up.

GGH as a defensive midfielder is not helping matters either and continually playing him there sums up how stubborn PH is.

He makes things happen in final third he doesn't have the game to run around closing down space and crashing into tackles.

Crazy management

The summer was the opportunity to improve the quality of our defence.

We are generally lining up with the same limited back 4 we played with last year making the same mistakes.

This. We keep a clean sheet once in a blue moon, its not good enough. I would drop McGinn play Irvine at RB and give Meggatt a chance either at CH or LB.

While the Julen Meggatt combo didn't work well pre season I think they should be given another look (Julen looking like our best defender and Meggatt was really solid v the Fermers).

Bain

McGinn Julen Meggatt Holt

Harkins Gowser Thomo Stewart (During 2nd half Calder Left wing, Stewart right and withdraw Harkins, Gowser or Thomo (who-ever least effective)

Loy Hemmings

Ross County (H)

Motherwell (H)

Hamilton (A)

Kilmarnock (H)

Inverness (A)

Patrick (H)

Our next six league games, certainly a lot kinder than our previous six. If we're serious about another top six finish them we've got to take advantage of our home fixtures here.