All things Dundee FC

Reading that we played Rangers in a home league game at Tannadice back in 99. We drew 1-1. The game completely escapes me. Any reason why we played it at Tannadice? I was thinking it'd have something to do with us building the Cox/Shankly potentially, but it was only for the single game?
If memory serves me correctly,we played a few games at Tannadice when the Coxy\Shankley were being built. I seem to remember we had a better record there than them [emoji39]

9 minutes ago, KlokTheKock said:

I'm sure a keeper saved a penalty with his foot? Can't remember exactly though

Nope - no pen' saves that day - it was indeed while the Coxie and Shankly were being built in 1999 and was the only game we played at Tannadice as a home game.

Iain Anderson gave us the lead midway through first half - Tony Vidmar equalised for them early in the second half

Edited by davidy233

Earliest memory Rangers (before they died) v Dundee at Ibrox, Scottish Cup 1974, 3-0 Dundee in front of 64,000 crowd. My brother in law, his dad and me. We went in the wrong end and transferred to the stand ( you could do that then) Every time the Dees scored I bumped a big Bear in front of me and knocked his Tammy off. After the third went in he stood up and blocked the Sun, turned round, threw his Tammy on the floor and said, that's some team ye've goat there son. To this day, the Bruv in law swears he thought he was about to die.
I went to every game in that cup run except the Semi (it was a school night) Celtic won 1-0 and went on to win the final against....

Yes that Ibrox day was a good day sitting in the stand winning with class and in front of the biggest crowd I've ever seen the Dees play in front of. We had a good team then. The cup run saw a great victory in Aberdeen. A cracking 3-3 draw at Easter road followed by the Wednesday replay with over 30,0000 at Dens. It seems difficult to believe nowadays, but I was there! And a delightful 3-0 win.
Next was the Ibrox gallop you mention and of course our inevitable semi final defeat to Celtic. And of course if we'd got through it would have been United in the final!!

That was a good team. At the hall of fame in 2017 Thomson Allan did say that he felt that that crop of players should have had more success than just the League Cup.

Yes perhaps, but it was a good time. Oh for a similar cup run.

42 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Reading that we played Rangers in a home league game at Tannadice back in 99. We drew 1-1. The game completely escapes me. Any reason why we played it at Tannadice? I was thinking it'd have something to do with us building the Cox/Shankly potentially, but it was only for the single game?

Anderson played well. 

Yeah I remember that, quite a good game if memory serves. Think Adamczuk was playing for them that night...?
Either the stands weren’t finished or hadn’t yet got a safety certificate.
The pole the pole its dairusz the pole, fucking great boy for us.

4 minutes ago, kevthedee said:
1 hour ago, rodallegabombs said:
Yeah I remember that, quite a good game if memory serves. Think Adamczuk was playing for them that night...?
Either the stands weren’t finished or hadn’t yet got a safety certificate.

The pole the pole its dairusz the pole, fucking great boy for us.

Pretty sure Dariusz didn't play (for either side in that match at Tannadice - he was still a Dundee player) - he was sent off at Dunfermline a couple of weeks before this game and was suspended until the second last game of the season - his only involvement in our cracking run of five wins and a draw which earned fifth place was 14 minutes as a sub against Dunfermline in the last game of that run.

Pretty sure Dariusz didn't play (for either side in that match at Tannadice - he was still a Dundee player) - he was sent off at Dunfermline a couple of weeks before this game and was suspended until the second last game of the season - his only involvement in our cracking run of five wins and a draw which earned fifth place was 14 minutes as a sub against Dunfermline in the last game of that run.

Hugh Dallas at his arseholiest if I remember.

Sounds to me like Sam Jones is an upgrade on Mark O'Hara, at a pure guess. 

McCann has "distanced himself" from a move for Shankland although I still wouldn't be surprised to see us try to get him before the Scottish window closes. 

Just now, G_Man1985 said:

Because he holds up the ball really well. According to some. :-(.

Yeh.  I remember one or two posters saying that last season as though that’s enough of a skill for a striker to keep his place.  Can’t remember who they were though and doubt they will want to remind us :lol:

14 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Sounds to me like Sam Jones is an upgrade on Mark O'Hara, at a pure guess. 

McCann has "distanced himself" from a move for Shankland although I still wouldn't be surprised to see us try to get him before the Scottish window closes. 

What the good man said above. - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45148116 

12 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Yeh.  I remember one or two posters saying that last season as though that’s enough of a skill for a striker to keep his place.  Can’t remember who they were though and doubt they will want to remind us :lol:

Every single game he didn't play (with the exception of Haber coming in a couple of times) we went to absolute shit because we didn't have anyone else to play that target man role and couldn't get the ball up the park otherwise. Not playing him put us under much more pressure defensively and all those chances he misses simply wouldn't exist with another player.

That doesn't mean I'm defending him and saying he's great but if he's the only target man we've got and we can't fluently play the ball out easily from the back to negate the need for this, we're kind of stuck playing him. We all saw it in the 16/17 season where we brought in Haber and the absolute shitfest it put on the defence when he was injured and didn't have anyone to hit with a long ball or to hold it.

I'm hoping we might get this ball over the top routine going with Mendy and be able to mix things up a little bit more this season.

8 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Every single game he didn't play (with the exception of Haber coming in a couple of times) we went to absolute shit because we didn't have anyone else to play that target man role and couldn't get the ball up the park otherwise. Not playing him put us under much more pressure defensively and all those chances he misses simply wouldn't exist with another player.

That doesn't mean I'm defending him and saying he's great but if he's the only target man we've got and we can't fluently play the ball out easily from the back to negate the need for this, we're kind of stuck playing him. We all saw it in the 16/17 season where we brought in Haber and the absolute shitfest it put on the defence when he was injured and didn't have anyone to hit with a long ball or to hold it.

I'm hoping we might get this ball over the top routine going with Mendy and be able to mix things up a little bit more this season.

That’s the bit I don’t understand.  McCann  constantly talks about passing out from the back.  When Moussa was playing we seemed to pass it about at the back until we are closed down and then just hoofed it up to him.    

Moussa can’t read the game and as such can’t run into space the way he should.   

If we are truly trying to build a side that passes the ball from front to back we need a striker that knows when to run and where to run.  Moussa knows neither as far as I’m concerned.

1 minute ago, Shadow Play said:

That’s the bit I don’t understand.  McCann  constantly talks about passing out from the back.  When Moussa was playing we seemed to pass it about at the back until we are closed down and then just hoofed it up to him.    

Moussa can’t read the game and as such can’t run into space the way he should.   

If we are truly trying to build a side that passes the ball from front to back we need a striker that knows when to run and where to run.  Moussa knows neither as far as I’m concerned.

I don't actually disagree with you tbh. I think it was just the least bad solution last season as we ended up playing that late hoof and Moussa was the only one who could at least challenge well.

I'm hoping we see a bit more intelligence in our play this season. Noticed we're taking fewer touches on the ball and trying to find Mendy over the top who seems like he might have some interesting movement. Kharl in beside Kamara could be very interesting so hoping Kamara is back for tomorrow.

Not going to get into the moussa debate again as I’ve said my piece on it. Last season we were a better team with him in the side.

For tomorrow I’d be starting a similar team to last week but Kerr at right back and Ralph at left back. Mainly due to Kerr’s defensive ability and kamara in if he’s fit. Feels harsh dropping Spence.

Hamilton

Kerr
Caulker
Meekings
Ralph

McGowan
Kamara
Madianga
Elton

Mendy
Moussa

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Shrewsbury forum listing Jones as a midfielder: http://blueandamber.proboards.com/thread/97860/sam-jones

Shrewsbury fan here. To be honest we have no clear idea what his best position is as we barely saw him, but attacking central midfielder seems to be the general consensus.

I think he'd probably best suit a formation with 4 layers, e.g. a 4-2-3-1, played just behind the striker. Can't see him being much use in a 4-4-2, not least because for some reason he seemed to be almost permanently unfit last season. I have no idea if that was his fault or not, but I don't remember him being officially listed as injured too often. I do remember one report of him being physically sick in training trying to keep up with all the running the rest of the (extremely fit) squad was doing, but that might well be bollocks.

5 minutes ago, Meadow_Jock said:

Shrewsbury fan here. To be honest we have no clear idea what his best position is as we barely saw him, but attacking central midfielder seems to be the general consensus.

I think he'd probably best suit a formation with 4 layers, e.g. a 4-2-3-1, played just behind the striker. Can't see him being much use in a 4-4-2, not least because for some reason he seemed to be almost permanently unfit last season. I have no idea if that was his fault or not, but I don't remember him being officially listed as injured too often. I do remember one report of him being physically sick in training trying to keep up with all the running the rest of the (extremely fit) squad was doing, but that might well be bollocks.

Shit.

I'm getting a Steven Doris vibe here.