All things Dundee FC

I said earlier on in the season that I thought the similarities between McNamara and McCann were frightening and I could see Dundee falling apart due to having a media savvy "one of the boys" manager with absolutely no substance at all (and who then gets off with it in the media because they are all pals). I am now beginning to see similarities between our previous owners and Dundee's current owners (not financially but with regards to footballing decisions). For me one of Thompson's biggest failings was his zero knowledge of football and him making terrible, terrible decisions with regards to managers and the infrastructure of the club. He was lucky when we had Levein as he basically took charge of the entire operation but when he left he gave the keys to the castle to McNamara who then systematically destroyed any infrastructure we had. Thompson let this happen and we ended up with an amateurish setup behind the scenes. Dundee seem to be in a similar situation in some ways. 

I'm not saying that we are all of a sudden perfect but appointing an actual Director of Sport and a proper Managing Director (both of whom who have had experience in football) will at least ensure we are going through the proper channels and proper systems when making decisions and appointing staff or recruiting players. Clubs like Dundee and United, clubs with decent budgets, infrastructure and fanbase only fail due to one major factor, bad leadership and bad decision making at the top.

I actually still hope Dundee stay up and also hope that we will join you in the Premiership next season. What I fear will happen will be a Championship containing both Dundee teams and potentially Arbroath and Forfar. Football in the city is as low as I can remember. 

You're spending an absolute fortune on the likes of Pawlett and have just handed three year deal to Mark Reynolds. I think I'd rather be signing piss poor nobodies from England tbh. 

Fair enough, my point was more a general one about footballing decisions at the top level in the club. From listening to fans I know and reading some stuff on here it seems like Nelms is like Thompson in the way he has nobody around him with footballing expertise or experience who there to guide decision making. I did say we are by no means going to be guaranteed success but I would much rather have a structure in place like we do now than when Thompson just told managers to do whatever they liked.

Oh, I agree with you to a point. It was just the "going through the correct channels when recruiting players" bit that I felt you needed pulled up on. 

It's a key time for Nelms. He's on the verge of losing the majority of the fan base. Some have been against him since day dot (a small minority) but they have grown in numbers. I reckon it'll be "oot ye go" in the majority if McIntyre isn't relieved of his duties. 

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

I said earlier on in the season that I thought the similarities between McNamara and McCann were frightening and I could see Dundee falling apart due to having a media savvy "one of the boys" manager with absolutely no substance at all (and who then gets off with it in the media because they are all pals). I am now beginning to see similarities between our previous owners and Dundee's current owners (not financially but with regards to footballing decisions). For me one of Thompson's biggest failings was his zero knowledge of football and him making terrible, terrible decisions with regards to managers and the infrastructure of the club. He was lucky when we had Levein as he basically took charge of the entire operation but when he left he gave the keys to the castle to McNamara who then systematically destroyed any infrastructure we had. Thompson let this happen and we ended up with an amateurish setup behind the scenes. Dundee seem to be in a similar situation in some ways. 

I'm not saying that we are all of a sudden perfect but appointing an actual Director of Sport and a proper Managing Director (both of whom who have had experience in football) will at least ensure we are going through the proper channels and proper systems when making decisions and appointing staff or recruiting players. Clubs like Dundee and United, clubs with decent budgets, infrastructure and fanbase only fail due to one major factor, bad leadership and bad decision making at the top.

I actually still hope Dundee stay up and also hope that we will join you in the Premiership next season. What I fear will happen will be a Championship containing both Dundee teams and potentially Arbroath and Forfar. Football in the city is as low as I can remember. 

Good post.

22 minutes ago, Dele said:

You're spending an absolute fortune on the likes of Pawlett and have just handed three year deal to Mark Reynolds. I think I'd rather be signing piss poor nobodies from England tbh. 

Its been a great success for us, hasnt it.

I agree with what you’re saying and we deserve to go down 100%. However I do honestly think we would be in a better position if we’d kept McCann on. That’s not me saying he’s any good at being a manager - probably more how bad McIntyre is. I do think that because of how bad the other teams are this year though that McCann would have kept us up.

55 minutes ago, srw said:

Its been a great success for us, hasnt it.

We're not the ones signing washed up diddies trying to get out the championship.

We signed shite nobodies trying to get into it.

11 minutes ago, Dele said:

We're not the ones signing washed up diddies trying to get out the championship.

We signed shite nobodies trying to get into it.

Id take Utds January signings over ours.

I agree with what you’re saying and we deserve to go down 100%. However I do honestly think we would be in a better position if we’d kept McCann on. That’s not me saying he’s any good at being a manager - probably more how bad McIntyre is. I do think that because of how bad the other teams are this year though that McCann would have kept us up.

We’d definitely still be fucked it McCann had stayed. I agree with the idea that McIntyre has made us worse, however. Last nights team selection looked to me like a complete guess. I’m shite at football manager and often punted. One of the last things I do is just throw random players in random positions to see if anything sticks and last night stank of that to me. If we lose on Saturday that’ll be 7 defeats in a row. Hartley got his jotters for that and McCann not long after a similar run. This appointment has been a total disaster and even if we somehow stay up (unlikely) McIntyre should be punted into the Tay.

Unfortunately I fear we will keep him and he’ll f**k up our start to the Championship next year, resulting in a change of manager in November and then us scrambling to try make the playoffs at best.

Apologies for the pessimism. Usually I’m rather upbeat.

Thank You.

Why hasn't he been punted yet? Why isn't Nelms begging Wieghorst to take us on yet?

There's also for once a whole host of out of work managers that aren't the worst such as:

David Hopkin (Particularly ideal considering it'd mean a shift from our shitebag philosophy we've adopted for 20+ year)

Stuart McCall (Been a continuous success in Scotland and built Motherwell into the force they've been in Scotland- last season for him went a bit shit admittedly, but much more impressive calibre compared to McIntyre).

Alan Archibald - Went stale at Partick Thistle but they have a shoestring budget in comparison to us and he had them outperforming us for 2-3 seasons. 

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why hasn't he been punted yet? Why isn't Nelms begging Wieghorst to take us on yet?

There's also for once a whole host of out of work managers that aren't the worst such as:

David Hopkin (Particularly ideal considering it'd mean a shift from our shitebag philosophy we've adopted for 20+ year)

Stuart McCall (Been a continuous success in Scotland and built Motherwell into the force they've been in Scotland- last season for him went a bit shit admittedly, but much more impressive calibre compared to McIntyre).

Alan Archibald - Went stale at Partick Thistle but they have a shoestring budget in comparison to us and he had them outperforming us for 2-3 seasons. 

I assume you're joking with the last two? 

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Fucking mystery to the 1st question. 

Fucking mystery to the 2nd question. 

All these constant payoffs for players and managers must’ve cost Keyes and Nelms, if he’s financially involved, a fortune. If only they’d hired the right manager with that sort of investment into the players on the park we’d be doing pretty well. 

10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

A) Because Nelms has no idea of the Dundee - Wieghorst connection.

B) Because Nelms only wants out of work Managers who live in Scotland.

C) Because Nelms has fallen for SackIntyre's bullshit.

D) Because Nelms is a walloper and has no fucking clue.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I assume you're joking with the last two? 

It's more the idea that usually when the question drops up of whom is better, it's a hard ask. There's fucking tonnes out there is my point. McCall was lauded as one of the best managers in the league by many on this forum at one point and Archibald had Thistle performing above their station for a good 2 and a bit seasons at least.

Would I be delighted if we went for either? No. Would I accept them over McIntyre? In a heartbeat. The point I was making was that there is options.

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

A) Because Nelms has no idea of the Dundee - Wieghorst connection.

B) Because Nelms only wants out of work Managers who live in Scotland.

C) Because Nelms has fallen for SackIntyre's bullshit.

D) Because Nelms is a walloper and has no fucking clue.

A - He fucking should considering he was pictured with him less than a week ago at the HoF. 

I can't answer any of the rest unfortunately.

16 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Surprised you've not mentioned Canning since you stated we'd regret letting him go...

I think you lot are just lucky how shit we are this season. Canning would have had you well clear by now. ;)