All things Dundee FC

McPake made a few mistakes tonight, but they weren't major ones. He should have started Robertson - I understand why he didn't, but we should've went for the same formation that was so good against Aberdeen. Was I upset when I read the line-up though? No. I was excited, thought we were going for the jugular. Ness was absolutely miles off it and the less said about Forster the better. It was never, ever a 6-2 game, but the result was the right one, even if the scoreline wasn't.

They've had Neilson preparing for that league for 18 month now, whilst McPake has had a couple of months. As sore as it is, the play-offs wouldn't be a disaster this season. We need to stick by McPake - Through thick and thin as he's shown so far that he can spot a player, make a decent sub when needed and has the team fighting. That wasn't the gutless display we seen in the last 6-2 game and we looked the better team at points, I couldn't believe we weren't at least even at HT nevermind 4-1 down.

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

McPake made a few mistakes tonight, but they weren't major ones. He should have started Robertson - I understand why he didn't, but we should've went for the same formation that was so good against Aberdeen. Was I upset when I read the line-up though? No. I was excited, thought we were going for the jugular. Ness was absolutely miles off it and the less said about Forster the better. It was never, ever a 6-2 game, but the result was the right one, even if the scoreline wasn't.

They've had Neilson preparing for that league for 18 month now, whilst McPake has had a couple of months. As sore as it is, the play-offs wouldn't be a disaster this season. We need to stick by McPake - Through thick and thin as he's shown so far that he can spot a player, make a decent sub when needed and has the team fighting. That wasn't the gutless display we seen in the last 6-2 game and we looked the better team at points, I couldn't believe we weren't at least even at HT nevermind 4-1 down.

Pretty much agree with all of this.

One of the weirdest 45 minutes I can recall seeing. Both teams were poor, but it was relatively even a game of football, the scoreline was just bizarre and in no way a reflection of the half. It's just one of those days where you just have to shake your head and move on. Even the second half was weird. Utterly dominated possession, pegged them back for most of it, we were moving the ball comfortably, looked committed, never looked tired, and yet we still lost it 2-1! 

:blink:

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

Some signings please. I'm happy enough to stick with mcpake but lets just be honest with ourselves. Mcpake should hopefully be a work in progress.
Bring some youngsters through and let's see what they got.

Do you want signings in the team or youngsters? There isn't a lot of room in the squad for both. 

Do you want signings in the team or youngsters? There isn't a lot of room in the squad for both. 
I'd pick youngsters but has Curran and Davies gone yet ? ( they may have for all I ken ) reckon we can still get a few in and still have other youngsters coming through.
We tried out Finlay.... drop him and get pumped .
Youth is the future...

It was never a 6-2 game tonight the goal that was disallowed was on side, the corner for the 4th wasn’t a corner, 2 deflected goals. We may not have won the game but I don’t think Utd will get any luckier than they did tonight. Anyone who thought this season was going to be a cakewalk is mad and it’s far to early to get on the management and players backs. They need time and I hope they get it, at least it’s only 4 games in to the season and I’m sure it’ll get better I know there are pieces of the jigsaw missing & so does the manager.

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

I'd pick youngsters but has Curran and Davies gone yet ? ( they may have for all I ken ) reckon we can still get a few in and still have other youngsters coming through.
We tried out Finlay.... drop him and get pumped .
Youth is the future...

McPake said in his Dee TV interview this week that he had a full strength squad to pick from - "except from long term injury Andrew Davies" - I'd forgotten all about that c**t. 

Mind those adventure books you got as a kid where you got to the end of a chapter and you got to choose a path to follow, then you got to the end of that chapter and you had another option? Then if you chose a particularly bad route you went back and chose a different path until you found the right one? 

I don't. What was I saying again?

Pretty much agree with all of this.
One of the weirdest 45 minutes I can recall seeing. Both teams were poor, but it was relatively even a game of football, the scoreline was just bizarre and in no way a reflection of the half. It's just one of those days where you just have to shake your head and move on. Even the second half was weird. Utterly dominated possession, pegged them back for most of it, we were moving the ball comfortably, looked committed, never looked tired, and yet we still lost it 2-1! 
:blink:

This. Time for calm heads. I was in the United end as previously explained and when it went to 5-2 the folks around me were shitting it. The 2 turning points were the disallowed goal (brilliant finish) and Connolly getting knackered. United were miles better with Butcher at the back and Harkes on in midfield. Onwards and upwards. Plus I’ve a nice wee cheque for £750 quid in my pocket.

IMG_4873.jpg

Bogs were pretty disgusting - these lads are
apparently putting nappies down the toilets?

IMG_4871.jpg

And they actually are Dundee Hibernian -

IMG_4874.jpg

McPake said in his Dee TV interview this week that he had a full strength squad to pick from - "except from long term injury Andrew Davies" - I'd forgotten all about that c**t. 
Mind those adventure books you got as a kid where you got to the end of a chapter and you got to choose a path to follow, then you got to the end of that chapter and you had another option? Then if you chose a particularly bad route you went back and chose a different path until you found the right one? 
Meh. It is what it is. Eh will forget this by tomorrow. Just disappointed. See how this season plans out. I asked our fans on here before what they would be happy with before a ball had been kicked. Aslong as we are in a play off spot that will do me.

Was at the game and sat down above the players tunnel so hard to see who was culpable for the 1st half goals. Was it the same guy losing his headers or different at each goal?

We’re fucked until we replace the goalkeeper. 7 shots on target and 6 going in simply isn’t good enough or am I being harsh as 2 were deflected and 1 a penalty?  

3 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:
8 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Meh. It is what it is. Eh will forget this by tomorrow. Just disappointed. See how this season plans out. I asked our fans on here before what they would be happy with before a ball had been kicked. Aslong as we are in a play off spot that will do me.

Aye, that was it. 

If life was fair we should be allowed to play a Sliding Doors game with Finlay Robertson in the stsrting line-up to see what would have happened. 

A couple of competent officials thrown in there as well for good measure. 

15 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

Was at the game and sat down above the players tunnel so hard to see who was culpable for the 1st half goals. Was it the same guy losing his headers or different at each goal?

We’re fucked until we replace the goalkeeper. 7 shots on target and 6 going in simply isn’t good enough or am I being harsh as 2 were deflected and 1 a penalty?  

I think Hamilton is a terrible keeper. Potentially a case for saving the first, but he certainly wasn't to blame tonight.

Ness in midfield was atrocious. He's shown brilliant things when he's played so far, but was well off it and lost his runner time and time again.

Forster needs to be dropped for Elgin next week as a rocket. That said, I don't think he was poor due to a lack of effort just limited ability. Put him up against a powerhouse of a striker and he'll give them a massive battle, but any other type of forward and he's absolutely done.

19 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

I thought that mibbe he was a wee bit slow getting back underneath that header for their 1st, and the penalty was a bit poor because it was hit more or less straight at him and went clean through him. That's being really harsh though.

I've been as critical of Hamilton as anybody, but I can't say I thought he was outright terrible tonight. Maybe a wee bit suspect here and there, but that result certainly wasn't his fault. He had no chance at all with the header from the corner, the deflection into the top corner, or the finish for the sixth.

Edited by Boo Khaki

8 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think Hamilton is a terrible keeper. Potentially a case for saving the first, but he certainly wasn't to blame tonight.

Ness in midfield was atrocious. He's shown brilliant things when he's played so far, but was well off it and lost his runner time and time again.

Forster needs to be dropped for Elgin next week as a rocket. That said, I don't think he was poor due to a lack of effort just limited ability. Put him up against a powerhouse of a striker and he'll give them a massive battle, but any other type of forward and he's absolutely done.

I agree about Forster. He looks great whenever he's had a big lump of a forward trying to batter their way past him, but if he has to move, chase, track etc... just nope. Thing that baffled me tonight was the number of times there was a cross or a set piece to defend, and he either didn't get off the ground at all, or got beaten by a much shorter player. Christ, being a dominating presence in these sorts of situations is exactly what he should be standing out as, but nope. Unless he was being constantly held or tugged I really don't know what the issue was.

Edited by Boo Khaki