All things Dundee FC

7 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Unlikely, but McPake still has a chance to be a success for Dundee. If he's not, let Strachan pick the next manager, unless he picks Mark McGhee, then let us pick the new manager by poll.

McPake was finally hitting his stride as the season suddenly stopped. If I hear anyone fucking moaning about him over the course of this long summer, I'm just hitting the mute button.

If John Nelms master-plan is impending league reconstruction this would probably consist of a top league of 14 resulting in no apparent benefit to ourselves, having already given up on this season's play-offs etc. 

This can only mean he currently has no faith in James McPake operating in, say even a top league of 16 (if argued for) without us potentially being relegation fodder again. This however  could result in us having a supposed "easier" time next season in the Championship and if going well means decent crowds whilst also giving time for a rookie manager to hopefully learn his trade. That's if reconstruction actually occurs otherwise hello Jam Tarts next season.

Less than professional though reversing the original vote and can't help but feel he's been like a rabbit in the headlights!  

Early days yet though, more to come.

Best regards 

This is the way I see it...

Nelms and everyone else were given only 2 days to make a huge decision. We, as a club, had absolutely nothing to gain by voting for it and with the ever increasing likelihood that no more games were going to be played this season, we had nothing to gain by voting against it.

The only reason we were ever going to vote against it was because it was totally wrong to relegate clubs on the back of this vote with zero plans on how the discussion on reconstruction would be instigated.

So on to the vote... A few clubs, including ours, came to an agreement to vote no. As the votes come in it emerges that 2 of the Premier teams that agreed to vote no, along with confusion on our vote arriving,  we decide to use the written rules of the vote and retract our 'No' vote and use more of the allotted time to try and reach an agreement with other clubs to get more contingency plans in place on result of a yes vote.

Within 2 days the SPFL are scrambling to get a reconstruction task force together, I truly believe that this was down to Nelms proposals..

After some reassurance from other Clubs (lets face it, this is all we can go on) we go ahead and vote 'Yes'.

Like I said, it would make zero difference what way we voted as a 16 team top league will never be on the cards. I truly believe Nelms has done all can to try and improve the fates of the possibly relegated teams, this is not his responsibility though. 

I hope this does work out for Hearts, Partick, Stranraer and has a positive effect on Falkirk and ICT with a 14 team top league set up.

If it doesn't, it's not down to Nelms for not trying.

Thank you.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

This is the way I see it...

Nelms and everyone else were given only 2 days to make a huge decision. We, as a club, had absolutely nothing to gain by voting for it and with the ever increasing likelihood that no more games were going to be played this season, we had nothing to gain by voting against it.

The only reason we were ever going to vote against it was because it was totally wrong to relegate clubs on the back of this vote with zero plans on how the discussion on reconstruction would be instigated.

So on to the vote... A few clubs, including ours, came to an agreement to vote no. As the votes come in it emerges that 2 of the Premier teams that agreed to vote no, along with confusion on our vote arriving,  we decide to use the written rules of the vote and retract our 'No' vote and use more of the allotted time to try and reach an agreement with other clubs to get more contingency plans in place on result of a yes vote.

Within 2 days the SPFL are scrambling to get a reconstruction task force together, I truly believe that this was down to Nelms proposals..

After some reassurance from other Clubs (lets face it, this is all we can go on) we go ahead and vote 'Yes'.

Like I said, it would make zero difference what way we voted as a 16 team top league will never be on the cards. I truly believe Nelms has done all can to try and improve the fates of the possibly relegated teams, this is not his responsibility though. 

I hope this does work out for Hearts, Partick, Stranraer and has a positive effect on Falkirk and ICT with a 14 team top league set up.

If it doesn't, it's not down to Nelms for not trying.

Thank you.

You say he wanted to help then why not withhold vote until restructuring resolution was passed 

2 minutes ago, kerly said:

You say he wanted to help then why not withhold vote until restructuring resolution was passed 

The top flight can only be restructured of a vote from the 12 teams, which is an 11-1 system. 

All Dundee could realistically do is get a "taskforce" set up, with existing Premiership sides, to have genuine talks about how best to do it. Presumably the SPFL board being involved means the Premiership clubs have to take part.

I don't think reconstruction will happen, as I can fully imagine 2 top flight sides opposing it down to nothing more than worrying they'll lose out on money, but I'm not quite sure what you expected Dundee to actually do? 

The top flight can only be restructured of a vote from the 12 teams, which is an 11-1 system. 
All Dundee could realistically do is get a "taskforce" set up, with existing Premiership sides, to have genuine talks about how best to do it. Presumably the SPFL board being involved means the Premiership clubs have to take part.
I don't think reconstruction will happen, as I can fully imagine 2 top flight sides opposing it down to nothing more than worrying they'll lose out on money, but I'm not quite sure what you expected Dundee to actually do? 
The only thing I can think is that some deal has been done behind the scenes - the problem with that is that you could trust them to honour it as far as you could throw them.

3 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The only thing I can think is that some deal has been done behind the scenes - the problem with that is that you could trust them to honour it as far as you could throw them.

Pretty much. The words of football chairmen, especially Scottish Premiership ones, is virtually worthless.

All in, in retrospect, this is probably all you could realistically do if you genuinely only wanted reconstruction. I just wonder about Hamiltons chairman being a major player in this "taskforce". They were one of the clubs I'd expect to oppose it, simply because they'd be against reducing their potential income.

Could mean theres more chance of it happening than I thought, or it'll be fucked before its started.

As a sidenote, I wouldn't trust Budge in the slightest either. Don't be stunned if she suggests a temporary 14 team top flight that reverts back to 12 next Summer.

Edited by RandomGuy.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Pretty much. The words of DUNDEE chairmen,is virtually worthless.

All in, in retrospect, this is probably all you could realistically do if you genuinely only wanted reconstruction. I just wonder about Hamiltons chairman being a major player in this "taskforce". They were one of the clubs I'd expect to oppose it, simply because they'd be against reducing their potential income.

Could mean theres more chance of it happening than I thought, or it'll be fucked before its started.

As a sidenote, I wouldn't trust Budge in the slightest either. Don't be stunned if she suggests a temporary 14 team top flight that reverts back to 12 next Summer.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Perhaps see it as the way I see Dundee looking at it in the long-term, as would many clubs who could find themselves in relegation trouble in the future: extra security in the Premiership.