All things Dundee FC

I think we've got a squad that is slightly imbalanced but has easily enough about it to stay up. We just have a manager that is like a noose around the squad's neck at times.

Realistically, the likes of Charlie Adam alone should give us a massive head start over a number of the teams around us as he should be better than anything the bottom half possess.

We're up against it now though - we need Rudden to light up the league or we're down and I can't see him being that good regardless of potential.

Big, big game Saturday to keep us within touching distance of the pack.

8 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Agreed. Lack of numbers up front. We’ve got rid of 2 wasters and one unproven, perpetually injured player though. We’ll need a few breaks but we’re not totally fucked yet.

Realistically county is a must win to close the gap a little and we must anything but lose to Livingston and St Mirren to have a fighting chance come the split at the end of April.

Stealing some from Motherwell too at the start of March 3 days after they play county would be ideal.

27 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

If we sign Rossi,

That will be a full back, a centre half, a striker, a centre mid and a winger. We asked on here before the transfer window that we definitely needed a FB, CH and ST, we have possibly strengthened where we desperately needed it most.

Taking the amount of time wasted out the equation, do you all feel better or worse after the incomings/outgoings?

I think the squad is stronger albeit light upfront.

I think what was needed most was a left back. Not even a hint of 1 😡 

Now we’ve managed to get ourselves in a position of being ridiculously short of numbers up front. Bizarre transfer window. 

I think Cammy has been really good of late (two games). We should consider him an inverted left back now instead of a RB IMO. I quite like Marshall too. Hopefully this spell out of the team through injury is a rest from the games he needs as he was very, very poor defensively towards the latter end of his run in the team, but is still underrated I believe.

We could be doing with a real quality LB in the summer though.

Edited by Ludo*1

30 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Squad was nowhere near good enough to stay in the Premiership at the start of January, and I thought we needed at least one, possibly two 'impact' players that could have the sort of effect on our season that signing McMullan did at this point last year. Fair enough, every player we brought in might be a slight improvement on what was here before, but I can't see that being enough. We needed a guy that was going to create half-a-dozen goals above and beyond what the remainder of the squad will manage between now and May, and a guy who was going to put those chances and a few others away, and I can't see McGinn and Rudden having that magnitude of impact. Sorry.

If we had been promoted with the squad as it is now, and the entire league was starting all over on 0 points, I'd still have us as solid joint-favourites for relegation.

Yeah, we definitely still need a goal scorer, hopefully (and here now lies the problem) Rudden, Chapman and McGinn can help with the push forward.

Diego Costa isn't doing anything.

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think Cammy has been really good of late (two games). We should consider him an inverted left back now instead of a RB IMO. I quite like Marshall too. Hopefully this spell out of the team through injury is a rest from the games he needs as he was very, very poor defensively towards the latter end of his run in the team, but is still underrated I believe.

Stuart Findlay ex Killie would be my 1st pick for sounding out. Irrelevant if we go down though. 

7 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

At this moment in time I would play Cammy ahead of Marshall every week. Like you say, Cammy has been very competent at LB of late. 

But we all know there is a shite game or 6 in Cammy.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Yeah, we definitely still need a goal scorer, hopefully (and here now lies the problem) Rudden, Chapman and McGinn can help with the push forward.

Diego Costa isn't doing anything.

If we can sign Cannigia then Diego Costa is possible…

Guest Wieghortsnut

I think once McGinn is up to speed he will make a massive difference and I think Rudden will turn out decent. Hes a physical striker which is what we are going to need for the run in to the split. Haber was a big unit and basically kept us up single handedly. We will need to shitehouse wins

Yup, the added difficulty in charging forward aimlessly on your weaker side has definitely helped Cammy screw the nut. It limits us a bit more in a tactical sense, but he looks far less of a liability having being tempered by playing on his less favoured side. Exact same thing happened late last season, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's viewed more as 2nd choice LB than a starting RB from here on in.

Still don't think he's a long term option though, but what's worrying is McPake's seeming indifference to signing a left-sided fullback suggest that he does.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Still awaiting clarity on Ibsen Rossi from FIFA (though with Fisher returning to Forfar it feels like it's good to go). Marshall potentially available for tomorrow, though more likely will first be available for Tynecastle on Wednesday. Ashcroft has started his runs which is good to hear. Everyone else currently healthy.

Dunno if anyone else in the know but I give it a bash.

Why is our under 15s playing against under 18s teams ? 

Stephen Wright n Scott Robertson seem to be making a c**t of things. 

Again can only take word from a good mate as he pissed off about his own son but seems to be all going to f**k . 

1 hour ago, Robin.Hood said:

Again can only take word from a good mate as he pissed off about his own son but seems to be all going to f**k . 

Surely playing above your age group is a right good thing 🤦🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Robin.Hood said:

I'd be concerned if we were only playing under 18s all the time but if it's a mix of playing against teams of the same age and some other games against older opposition then I don't see anything wrong in that. Good experience for laddies even if they take a couple of sore ones results wise. Its all part of the learning process.

It happened to me as a teenager and I'd say it was a help rather than a hindrance. Playing for a successful boys club in the 70s we often played friendlies against Junior teams. It made sense to me as a year or two later most of us were playing alongside these guys.

5 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

I'd be concerned if we were only playing under 18s all the time but if it's a mix of playing against teams of the same age and some other games against older opposition then I don't see anything wrong in that. Good experience for laddies even if they take a couple of sore ones results wise. Its all part of the learning process.

It happened to me as a teenager and I'd say it was a help rather than a hindrance. Playing for a successful boys club in the 70s we often played friendlies against Junior teams. It made sense to me as a year or two later most of us were playing alongside these guys.

For once I'm gonna shut my puss however that dosnt seem to be the case regarding these boys learning. Utd, dunfermline and Livingston have taken some of our boys on. Again I solely go from it from 2 parents. 1 now junior for now the other on trial at another team ( there bairns that is ) and it seems to be a shit show. Unsure why just these two coaches in question however 

2 minutes ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

Without a doubt it’s good. Playing against bigger, stronger, quicker guys means you have to use your brain rather than brawn to get the better of the opposition. Every aspect of your game has to improve from your touch, use of the ball and reading what’s going on around you. Pretty much a pre season when I was a young Derryboy.  

1 minute ago, Robin.Hood said:

For once I'm gonna shut my puss however that dosnt seem to be the case regarding these boys learning. Utd, dunfermline and Livingston have taken some of our boys on. Again I solely go from it from 2 parents. 1 now junior for now the other on trial at another team ( there bairns that is ) and it seems to be a shit show. Unsure why just these two coaches in question however 

Sounds more like the parents have got the hump because their kids have perhaps been deemed not got enough. Sport can be harsh!

Guest Wieghortsnut

Only problem with that is if they get a doing all the time thats their confidence fucked. And I've always noticed for some unknown reason every player that comes through out youth system arent exactly big laddies 

Guest Wieghortsnut

And our youth system seems to be a bit of a shambles because united have a conveyor belt of talent they can get ridiculous money for, who was the last player we sold from our youth system? Kevin McDonald?