All things Dundee FC

Nice looking stadium. Fair play to the architechts for coming up with something different that provides a nod to your beloved Dens. Capacity seems a good compromise. Should be pretty full for most games, creating a better atmosphere than you’d have in a bigger stadium. Should be easier to attract fans to a new stadium that has much better facilities. Be good if they have a club museum too. I’m aware that planning permissions are required, etc. but any idea of the timescale?

New stadium looks great. 

This has been in the news before. 

What’s holding back the project?

Realistically when do you think it will be built?

What are the plans for the land where Dens park is now?

I would not say the capacity is too small. Far better to have a ground that is 85% filled every match day than what Kilmarnock have. 

I have had some great memories of the auld version of Dens. I’ve been in most areas of the old ground down the years and will miss it when it’s gone.

Thank you Dees. 

Dundee stadium concept looks great. Hopefully it actually comes to fruition. When I see exciting concepts like this from a fellow diddy club though, with talk of it being part of a bigger re-generation project with bespoke ‘Chevron’ designed main stand and state-of-the-art LED scoreboards etc, my gut says ‘aye, gie’s a shout when someone actually sees a spade breaking ground. Cynical? Me?

Genuinely though, maybe this time, the concept artwork and the big promises actually come to pass. Excuse me if I’m not holding my breath though!

Just now, Molotov said:

New stadium looks great. 

This has been in the news before. 

What’s holding back the project?

Realistically when do you think it will be built?

What are the plans for the land where Dens park is now?

I would not say the capacity is too small. Far better to have a ground that is 85% filled every match day than what Kilmarnock have. 

I have had some great memories of the auld version of Dens. I’ve been in most areas of the old ground down the years and will miss it when it’s gone.

Thank you Dees. 

I think Nelms was saying 2025/26.

These things take time and as the application is only a planning permission in principle, the club would then have to get all the other statutory approvals (including full planning permission) in place before they put a spade in the ground. 

The full planning permission is the one that will take ages. It always does on a project of this scale. The actual build itself I wouldn't see taking too long. 2025/2026 still seems a bit unrealistic to me but you never know. I come from the pessimistic point of view as I work in the industry. I've got nothing to do with this project though so just my best guess.

Just now, Pens_Dark said:

I think Nelms was saying 2025/26.

These things take time and as the application is only a planning permission in principle, the club would then have to get all the other statutory approvals (including full planning permission) in place before they put a spade in the ground. 

The full planning permission is the one that will take ages. It always does on a project of this scale. The actual build itself I wouldn't see taking too long. 2025/2026 still seems a bit unrealistic to me but you never know. I come from the pessimistic point of view as I work in the industry. I've got nothing to do with this project though so just my best guess.

Four cornflake packets around a grass rectangle… that’s what you boys need. Seemples! (Said a meerkat to me today). 😎

ED79ECD1-E98F-4247-A68C-B4D670CF9853.jpeg

Can't believe I'm seeing so many Dundee fans excited about the possibility of moving to a completely soulless and inaccessible part of town. Football stadiums that are not within walking distance of a train station are not worth visiting. I get there are problems with Dens, but please remember such moves are permanent. Your grandchildren would have to make trips on a shuttle bus to see a home game on a freezing December midweek many decades from now. Out of town stadiums have never, and will never, work

11 minutes ago, Hibernia said:

Can't believe I'm seeing so many Dundee fans excited about the possibility of moving to a completely soulless and inaccessible part of town. Football stadiums that are not within walking distance of a train station are not worth visiting. I get there are problems with Dens, but please remember such moves are permanent. Your grandchildren would have to make trips on a shuttle bus to see a home game on a freezing December midweek many decades from now. Out of town stadiums have never, and will never, work

It's not out of town as such. Yes it's further from the centre than Dens, but, a proper transport system will surely be incorporated.

12 minutes ago, Hibernia said:

Can't believe I'm seeing so many Dundee fans excited about the possibility of moving to a completely soulless and inaccessible part of town. 

It's not an inaccessible pair of the city. It's literally on the busiest road through the city.

10 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

It's not an inaccessible pair of the city. It's literally on the busiest road through the city.

And in 15 years time, the idea of travelling to games in private cars will be really strange. And don't start about shuttle buses either, they are not the optimal way of travelling to a football ground. The only thing that matters is how close it is to a station, and Camperdown miserably fails on that front

44 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

@invergowrie arab says its not happening though. 👺

I'm also on record as saying A9 dualling won't happen. I suppose if the goalposts keep getting changed and the timescale is infinite  that I'll be proved wrong eventually.

I see they have stopped spoofing about the progress they have made given they have only now admitted that planning permission in principle has yet to be submitted. Has it not been imminent for about 2 years?

I'd be surprised if a planning permission in principle is adequate given its almost certainly a change of use.

Do you think you will be in for 25/26?

3 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Tom Cruise What GIF

Private car ownership in cities the size of Dundee will reduce dramatically as the need to address climate change becomes greater still. To build a stadium in the mid-2020s with zero viable public transport options (and again, please do not say buses, they are not viable for a matchday basis) is ridiculously short-sighted

Edited by Hibernia