All things Dundee FC

4 hours ago, Wee jeemie said:

Taylor has 13 full caps , no way would Beck just walk into the Celtic left back slot , he’d be on the bench 

Taylor in a Dundee team wouldn't stand out, Beck did.

Taylor in a Dundee team would most likely be like Taylor in a Celtic team in the Champions League. OK but nothing special. 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

A few of our fans are hearing that Bowyer is the front runner for our current vacancy. 

I’m a fan of the idea in prospect but iirc he split opinion amongst you guys last season? Wasn’t the verdict that he made hard work of winning the league? 

I thought he did OK and would buy him a pint quite happily, he was good with the fans and players seemed to play for him. We did win the league because of a QP collapse though.

I think we were surprised at him going but not overly disappointed. As fans I think we were suffering from shit manager fatigue after the end of Hartley's reign then McCann, McIntyre, McPake and McGhee. Unless he'd won the league by 20 points we weren't going to start a petition to keep him.

I wouldn't swap the Doc for anyone right now.

48 minutes ago, eindhovendee said:

Taylor in a Dundee team wouldn't stand out, Beck did.

Is that fair?

Taylor was brilliant for Kilmarnock.

Im not getting into Beck v Taylor debate, but it feels like people really under estimate how good Taylor is because hes not an absolute standout for Celtic. Im fairly sure he'd walk into any other starting line up in the country, including Rangers. 

Cheers for the replies lads. I think personally he’s what we need. Someone to unite the fans but also make certain demands of our managing director and chairman. 

If it is him he’s got a hell of a job to tidy up the current mess. 

Bowyer was far more competent than some of the total wallopers Dundee appointed to the post recently, but at the same time I can't say I was particularly upset when he didn't stay around for a second season. 

I suppose you could sum up his season at Dens as "not great, not terrible". We did win the league, but it was a bit of a stumbling, bumbling win in the end and owed a fair bit to most other teams being terrible and QP's arse collapsing. It certainly wasn't a romp like Hearts' earlier win, but then, as others have said Bowyer was more or less expected to make do with a squad full of keek that McPake had lumbered the club with.

I wouldn't be overly concerned at the prospect if my club was making moves to hire him tbh, I just didn't see any signs that he's a miracle worker or in any way a superior manager. 

Edited by Boo Khaki

Imo on paper mcpakes signing we’re decent enough for our level he just didn’t know how to use them properly.

I remember we all thought Mcdaid was a good signing same with McGhee, Marshall, Byrne, I could go on I think there was only a handful we all thought “meh” at but none were outright awful

24 minutes ago, D TOTAL said:

Imo on paper mcpakes signing we’re decent enough for our level he just didn’t know how to use them properly.

I remember we all thought Mcdaid was a good signing same with McGhee, Marshall, Byrne, I could go on I think there was only a handful we all thought “meh” at but none were outright awful

McPake was an excellent scout and I'm guessing that was spotted early on. Wasn't he made the club's "America's scout" and started the academy over there?

Wonder how that is getting on actually. Shortly after it started he was promoted to manager and well.....yeah.

Edited by Crawford

1 minute ago, K.T said:

I think by the fact most fans of his former clubs hold no ill will towards him means he’s a generally competent and safe appointment.

I was gutted he wasn't given the chance every other diddy that came before him was afforded.

Blank cheques and no ideas. Years of forgetful ineptitude.

Along came Bowyer and they suddenly stopped spending.

Edited by Crawford

For me he was the epitome of mediocrity and so his season in charge transpired. I never bought into the shite squad built by McPake, yes it wasn’t brilliant but easily good enough to win the league with room to spare. I was very happy to see the back of him and the appointment of Docherty just shows what’s possible with a bit of imagination. He would appear he is a nice guy but not speaking to the CEO for 3 months is not very smart and only ends 1 way. 
I honestly think you could do better - look at Raith Rovers. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is that fair?

Taylor was brilliant for Kilmarnock.

Im not getting into Beck v Taylor debate, but it feels like people really under estimate how good Taylor is because hes not an absolute standout for Celtic. Im fairly sure he'd walk into any other starting line up in the country, including Rangers. 

He was by a distance the best left-back we have had in my time watching us, an absolutely fantastic player. He turned in Owen Beck levels of performance for about two years before he went to Celtic.

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He was by a distance the best left-back we have had in my time watching us, an absolutely fantastic player. He turned in Owen Beck levels of performance for about two years before he went to Celtic.

I think he’s pretty decent too and think Beck would have a stiff battle for a place. 

On the rumour-spreading front, per the two relatively reliable info guys on TDB:

- Mellon loan deal agreed and Main could be done before the Killie game.

- Stewart not incoming, supposedly was never a serious interest there from us.

- Club remains hopeful regarding Beck coming back after some game time at Anfield.

- Also apparently looking at another Liverpool loanee (Ramsay?) and Burnley (I assume that would be Mellon though, could we have 3 loanees from one team?)

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

On the rumour-spreading front, per the two relatively reliable info guys on TDB:

- Mellon loan deal agreed and Main could be done before the Killie game.

- Stewart not incoming, supposedly was never a serious interest there from us.

- Club remains hopeful regarding Beck coming back after some game time at Anfield.

- Also apparently looking at another Liverpool loanee (Ramsay?) and Burnley (I assume that would be Mellon though, could we have 3 loanees from one team?)

Here's hoping Liverpool are looking at us as a promising loan team. I'll happily take whatever lads they are throwing thousands at.

Edited by Crawford
Thousands not millions

3 hours ago, D TOTAL said:

Probably a fair enough assessment. There were a couple of clunker signings, but I suppose that will be true of any manager who is at a club for more than one or two windows. My annoyance at McPake's dealings tended to stem from the fact that as well as not seemingly knowing how to construct an actual team out of them, the vast bulk were of the type where you thought "can probably do a job in the Championship" when in reality the club was making noises about the need to get promoted AND stay in the Premiership. Just really uninspiring for the most part, and I still think Charlie Adam dragged that squad into, and through the playoffs in spite of McPake, not because of him.